Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Ranking the Best "Suicide Squad" Stories Since DC's New 52 Began

Since the "Suicide Squad" movie primarily draws from the Squad's New 52 adventures, CBR counts down their best comic book stories of the modern era.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Were there any good ones? The book was pretty terrible

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Yeah, this is the problem - I have tickets for tomorrow and am *trying* to avoid looking at the poor reviews in detail.
    The best Suicide Squad stories were from Ostrander, in the initial run. They could have easily taken that run as the primary inspiration, and slotted Harley in there.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    The top 1-5 of this list were not bad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krysmopompas View Post
    Yeah, this is the problem - I have tickets for tomorrow and am *trying* to avoid looking at the poor reviews in detail.
    The best Suicide Squad stories were from Ostrander, in the initial run. They could have easily taken that run as the primary inspiration, and slotted Harley in there.
    I am hearing that there are some elements from "the nightshade odessey" arc in the film, so I guess that's not the problem with the movie.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

The Glass and Ryan runs were garbage. How can you call these good stories?
    Cyclops was right

I am more worried it is just going to be just a live action remake of the Batman: Assault On Arkham Toon. ...And have there been that many Squad Stories since 52?

The editor who decided to qualify the article with "...since the New52" era is the WORST.BOSS.EVER.
    Also...
    "Ostrander turned C and D-list villains like Captain Boomerang and Deadshot into household names" - Loved the book and the characters, but not really.

All-New Member

their best one were mediocre at best

Quote Originally Posted by Superlol View Post
    their best one were mediocre at best
    Pretty much. I had high hopes when I started reading n52 SS, but it was pretty bland. I haven't read New Suicide Squad yet, do those stories get any better?

Edit: Just saw that Ryan's run goes into New Suicide Squad, so question answered

Damn, we got some negative nancy's in here. I know neither Suicide Squad or New Suicide Squad were that great, but there were a few winners (I assume).

I'm mostly just pumped to see that Clayton Henry worked on the book (and the Joker!). I'll definitely be rummaging through my LCS's back stock to find #6-7.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

In some pocket dimension, somewhere, Ales Kot had a magnificent run on SS. It is now collected and is a seminal work for DC comics.

Honestly Ales Kot and Seeley are the only good writers to do anything with the book and they last maybe 3 arc between them.
    Adam Glass ushered in this new Harley Quinn and new suicide squad. On the outside looking in he took a low level DC property and turned it into a top priority
    The writing has just never been here for the book though but compared to consistently terrible books like teen titans,ravagers and its ilk you are looking at one of the seminal team books in the DCU.

I think Suicide Squad has potential though DC is injecting some classic elements to go with the new stuff

BANNED

Er, great job not ranking Tim Seeley & Juan Ferreyra's amazing run, which was far and above the best of SS since the New 52. Each single issue was better than entire storyline arcs.

BTW, Ryan was a reprehensible writer, and partnered with the immensely and unfathomable trash sketches that is Rob Hunter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kp404 View Post
    Pretty much. I had high hopes when I started reading n52 SS, but it was pretty bland. I haven't read New Suicide Squad yet, do those stories get any better?

Edit: Just saw that Ryan's run goes into New Suicide Squad, so question answered
    Snag all of the New SS issues that are by Seeley & Ferreyra, the rest of that entire series is garbage. Terrible writing and bar the first issue, atrocious art that perhaps need to be seen to be believed. Just leaf through them at a store and don't buy the issues after gagging.