• Okay

35 20.11%
  • Not so good

33 18.97%
  • Terrible

22 12.64%
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    You should read some of Ostrander's stuff to get a feel for the real characters. Deadshot's characterization was really off in the movie. The comic can be really dated at times though and takes a while to get it's legs, but it's a slow burn with good character arcs.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some online research.

Would you say Arrow's version of Deadshot is closer to the comics version? Or not? I power-watched some of Arrow last year -- was curious to hear how faithful that portrayal is.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I've waited a long time for DC Comics to get their movie game on, especially with Marvel having such great success for the last several years. Now being three for three, it looks like the DC Extended Universe is off to a great start. Aside from a clunky first 20 minutes or so, where the characters are introduced in a sort of rushed fashion, Suicide Squad was an absolute blast! As much as I'd been anticipating this, I was a little worried going in because director David Ayer has a pretty poor track record. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. The story was nothing deep but the action was fun and the characters were great.

Margot Robbie frikkin' nailed it as Harley Quinn. I had the biggest fanboy grin on my face as she brought Harley to life in a way I never thought I'd see in live-action. Everything about her performance I loved. Although there were a few times where Will Smith slipped into just being himself, he otherwise managed to make Deadshot feel like Deadshot and not Will Smith most of the time. Viola Davis was superb as Amanda Waller and while the Joker's screen time was limited, Jared Leto was great. I can't wait to see him really cut loose in a solo Batman movie. And speaking of the Dark Knight, Batman's presence in the film was awesome and never felt shoehorned in.

I understand there was some studio tinkering in post-production, and I noticed a number of things from the trailers that were missing in the finished film. Hopefully, an extended cut on Blu-ray will restore all of that and possibly smooth out the bumpiness of the early scenes. But regardless, I just had an absolute ball with Suicide Squad and can't wait to see what the next few years hold for DC movies.

4/5
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    This is a review I agree with whole heartedly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenr.../#1d09136dbb4b
    He read my mind.

Ultimate Member

Did you read Ostrander's run by any chance? Slipknot's quick and funny death was ripped right from the pages and made me happy lol
    Perhaps it works better there, but I found it really pointless here. Also they telegraphed it WAY too much before the movie even came out, and then in the movie itself as well.

Incredible Member

All I can say for Leto's version of the Joker is that I thought it was kind of an interesting role-reversal of male/female romantic leads. Typically, it's the woman who plays two-dimensional second fiddle, serving as little more than a catalyst for the man's story arc. Here, it was very much the opposite. I'd never seen the Joker in a "romantic foil" sort of way before, so that they pulled it off here was a very interesting and unexpected twist. That said, he only really showed any agency in that position, and so he's not a character I could see doing well in any kind of solo outing as a Batman foil or whatnot. He only worked as a character (and performance) in his scenes with Harley.

It did kind of make me want to see a Bonnie and Clyde/Sid & Nancy kind of movie or story featuring the two, though. I think that could be a lot of fun, in a darkly twisted rom-com kind of way.

Extraordinary Member

Aw yeah, I got goosebumps. That was THE WALL!
    I really questioned why Bruce would be protecting her at the end. Plus she's a kill with blood on her hands - shooting her own people in the control room was cold blooded murder, so having her still at large at the end of the movie left a bad taste in my mouth.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post

As for Enchantress, I thought she was pretty two dimensional. Although I liked her DR. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde persona, I didn't care for her typical "destroy the world" motive.
    I agree.

Heh - maybe that's the dimension she comes from?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

So i enjoyed the movie, wasnt great but i didnt find it as bad as some have made it out to be.

Good
    Actors(Will smith and Robbie brought a level of fun to the movie that makes the dour tone of the DCEU not a chore to watch) Jai Courtney was great as Captain B just wish he had more of a role. Then Viola Davis delivers on being truely menacing, making up for the enchatress being down right horrible imo)

There were also some visualy stunning shots in that movie

As a comic fan what happens to slipknot and Diggers role in it brought a huge smile to my face. If Captain B isnt in The flash movie ima be upset.

Bad
    Every other charatcer besides the ones listed above im either indifferent towards like Croc and Katana. Or hated like Flag and echantress.

Found the fight scenes to be lacking, and at times hard to tell whats going on.

Joker just didnt work for me at all, but thats probally a personal thing as a fan. Not so much a reflection of Letos performance.

Overall the movie was fun for me and as long as its fun I can look past some story and charatcer issues. I think if anyone except will smith was deadshot the movies fun level drops in half. I gave BvS like a C- id give this a solid B. Cant wait to see these charatcers in other movies with a better story.

I do see what people meant by Will smith just playing Will smith. But I think that energy and charisma saved this movie from being too flat. Robbie was great at times and really annoying at other, i dont think she coulda carried this without Smith.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-06-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So i enjoyed the movie, wasnt great but i didnt find it as bad as some have made it out to be.

Good
    Actors(Will smith and Robbie brought a level of fun to the movie that makes the dour tone of the DCEU not a chore to watch) Jai Courtney was great as Captain B just wish he had more of a role. Then Viola Davis delivers on being truely menacing, making up for the enchatress being down right horrible imo)

There were also some visualy stunning shots in that movie

As a comic fan what happens to slipknot and Diggers role in it brought a huge smile to my face. If Captain B isnt in The flash movie ima be upset.

Bad
    Every other charatcer besides the ones listed above im either indifferent towards like Croc and Katana. Or hated like Flag and echantress.

Found the fight scenes to be lacking, and at times hard to tell whats going on.

Joker just didnt work for me at all, but thats probally a personal thing as a fan. Not so much a reflection of Letos performance.

Overall the movie was fun for me and as long as its fun I can look past some story and charatcer issues. I think if anyone except will smith was deadshot the movies fun level drops in half. I gave BvS like a C- id give this a solid B. Cant wait to see these charatcers in other movies with a better story.

I do see what people meant by Will smith just playing Will smith. But I think that energy and charisma saved this movie from being too flat. Robbie was great at times and really annoying at other, i dont think she coulda carried this without Smith.
    Well, I'm glad you saw it, mate. I'm also glad you had fun, because I had a lot of fun too.

Keeping everything in perspective, I didn't go to the movie expecting the next Winter Soldier or The Dark Knight. Just something to experience is all. It wasn't like disappointing and boring like BvS or Apocalypse in that regard at all.

Extraordinary Member

Thinking about it on another thread I realized the other Superhero movie this should be matched up against is Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some online research.

Would you say Arrow's version of Deadshot is closer to the comics version? Or not? I power-watched some of Arrow last year -- was curious to hear how faithful that portrayal is.
    I stopped watching Arrow a while back but remember bits of Deadshot here and there but I really don't remember episodes with him (stopped watching during Season 3). He is basically a man with a death wish to begin with which was why he was targeted to join SS. Every mission they go on is considered suicide, but he doesn't care whether he lives or not. Deadshot's past in the movie was incorrect and seemed like one for a new character all together actually.

I'd encourage you to read Deadshot Beginnings (for his real origin) written in 1988 by Ostrander, but it actually follows Issue 22 of his SS run, so that may be way too much to ask.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Well, I'm glad you saw it, mate. I'm also glad you had fun, because I had a lot of fun too.

Keeping everything in perspective, I didn't go to the movie expecting the next Winter Soldier or The Dark Knight. Just something to experience is all. It wasn't like disappointing and boring like BvS or Apocalypse in that regard at all.
    If you cant deliver an amzing story just let me have some fun thats all I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Thinking about it on another thread I realized the other Superhero movie this should be matched up against is Deadpool.
    I dont think thats necessary but to me Deadpool is the better movie. The jokes that hit in Deadpool hit hard, and in all honesty i even found Deadpool.story to be a bit better. But that doesnt have to take away from the SKWAD. I dont see SS having the kinda drop BvS had cause while the story is lacking its fun.

Astonishing Member

I wanted to vote better than average but no slot for that.

This movie deserves better than the 27% it currently has on RT. Way better than X-Men Apocalypse and I enjoyed this a bit more than BVS, although I liked the actors and characters in BVS more.

Action was good, enjoyed the pacing and dialogue.

Liked Harley but a whole movie of her I would get annoyed. To me not as funny as Deadpool.

Was shocked when Waller shot those employees. Wanted to see her die after that scene.

Didn't like the way Croc looked.

Liked the scene where Boomerang got caught by the Flash. Love small unannounced cameos like this to show a shared universe.

Felt a bit forced how the team quickly becomes a 'family'.

Got annoyed by the constant soundtracks in the movie. I like music but felt they copied GOTG when they kept pumping in classic retro music. I know GOTG wasn't the first movie to do this but probably the first super-hero movie to do so.

Enjoyed the casting. Looking at Marvel and DC, I wish Fox will up their game in using bigger names for the future of their franchise. I feel it's falling way behind the big two.

Overall a good summer film. Although a super hero flick, at least it's original. This summer has sucked big time and it's great for SS to be one of the biggest movies of the summer.

If it drops a lot in the second week at least it set records this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I really questioned why Bruce would be protecting her at the end. Plus she's a kill with blood on her hands - shooting her own people in the control room was cold blooded murder, so having her still at large at the end of the movie left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I actually didn't even know about the end credit scene. I was pretty disappointed when the movie ended and just left. It was basically Bruce buying info about JL members right? She makes a point to mention he shouldn't be working late nights or some ****, correct? To imply she knows of his job as Batman or something?

If you are interesting, in the 1987 run, SS had a crossover with Justice League International one time. Batman infilitrates Bell Reve and finds out about Task Force X. He gets confronted by SS, and Waller corners him with a gang o f people with guns drawn. And he's like "I found out about Task Force X and I'm gonna leak it." She punks Batman by saying, "I can easily divert my resources to finding out who your really are." With that, Batman backs down.

I think it was that issue that they adapted for the end credit scene. SS #10

Superhero shows are trash

I stopped watching Arrow a while back but remember bits of Deadshot here and there but I really don't remember episodes with him (stopped watching during Season 3). He is basically a man with a death wish to begin with which was why he was targeted to join SS. Every mission they go on is considered suicide, but he doesn't care whether he lives or not. Deadshot's past in the movie was incorrect and seemed like one for a new character all together actually.

I'd encourage you to read Deadshot Beginnings (for his real origin) written in 1988 by Ostrander, but it actually follows Issue 22 of his SS run, so that may be way too much to ask.
    Yea no live action version really fits the character from the comics imo and we have had 3. Will smiths was atleast well acted.

One thing i never got Deadshot wants to die in a blaze of glory, why not go after Deathstroke? If he really wants to die in an epic fire fight thats one sure way to make it happen.