• Okay

35 20.11%
  • Not so good

33 18.97%
  • Terrible

22 12.64%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I just saw it, and honestly thought it was pretty damn good.

Despite, IMO, massive plotting issues.

The actors pushed this just above pretty damn good, IMO.

But yeah, how do you screw up a concept like this? The Squad was cleaning up Waller's mess, Slipnot's fate was rather predictable even if you hadn't read the comics, Katana was pretty pointless, Waller was far too ruthless (not words I ever expected to type), Joker's appearance was too random, the list goes on

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I stopped watching Arrow a while back but remember bits of Deadshot here and there but I really don't remember episodes with him (stopped watching during Season 3). He is basically a man with a death wish to begin with which was why he was targeted to join SS. Every mission they go on is considered suicide, but he doesn't care whether he lives or not. Deadshot's past in the movie was incorrect and seemed like one for a new character all together actually.

I'd encourage you to read Deadshot Beginnings (for his real origin) written in 1988 by Ostrander, but it actually follows Issue 22 of his SS run, so that may be way too much to ask.
    The Deadshot in Arrow was crap. As opposed to self loathing and abusive family, he had PTSD. Because why not go with a cliche?

Will Smith as Deadshot wasn't too bad, and leaves room for later development. But he's still miles ahead of the Arrow version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Although this wasn't quite as good as Ghostbusters, I liked most of it. The only part that irked me is that it's extremely schizophrenic about who the characters are. For most of the movie they are chilling, self-serving killers. Boomerang even gets to do the classic scene where he tricks Slipknot into getting decapitated just to confirm whether the explosives are a bluff. But then in the final battle they're spouting lines about friendship and family that would make Twilight Sparkle barf. Even Guardians of the Galaxy, which is literally a movie about "The Power of Friendship" didn't get that cloying. If that 180 is supposed to be character development it didn't feel earned. These people spent a couple of hours together and had one drink.
    "Hey, Diablo, could you tell us your origin again and we can try really hard to make our eyes well?" lol. Let's not forget the infamous, "Ya know, you're hot on the outside, but you're ugly on the inside!" line that was delivered like it was the most profound thing ever. Gotta cringe at the, "Nah shorty...I'm beautiful" Croc line though
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The Deadshot in Arrow was crap. As opposed to self loathing and abusive family, he had PTSD. Because why not go with a cliche?

Will Smith as Deadshot wasn't too bad, and leaves room for later development. But he's still miles ahead of the Arrow version.
    I don't even think it's fair to compare Will Smith's acting prowess versus..whoever that dude is. Yeah, it's a random backstory and completely different personality, but anything is better than Arrow's I guess lol
    Superhero shows are trash

Ultimate Member

I don't even think it's fair to compare Will Smith's acting prowess versus..whoever that dude is. Yeah, it's a random backstory and completely different personality, but anything is better than Arrow's I guess lol
    Well, the Deadshot actor in Arrow had the character down better, IMO, but that was because the plotting allowed it. His origin just sucked.

Frankly, I wondered if Will Smith could step back his usual character for this role, and IMO he didn't. Deadshot's more deadpan, and more ruthless. The whole 'No women, no children' cliche was not Deadshot, but Will Smith.

But that said, they never addressed his origin, Zoe's still around and they can do better next time. IMO Smith wasn't the best Deadshot, but he was still a good character.

BANNED

I thought it was pretty damn good for what it is. Robbie was fantastic. I didn't love Leto's performance but he was suitably creepy. Croc was killer, no pun intended. Smith was good too.

It became a bit of a CGI wankfest at the end, but the first third especially was thoroughly enjoyable.

Finally saw it and I'm pretty happy with it. I liked pretty much all the characters(Diablo was one I was not expecting to have as much development as he did), even if Katana, Killer Croc, and Captain Boomerang really didn't have to much to do, I think it's a good sign that I want to see them again in the future(I especially really liked Katana's costume and and the Croc outfit was impressive). The only ones I didn't really like was Rick Flagg because...well, he's Rick Flagg, nothing against the actor, he just played the boring military guy who he was supposed to, and Enchantress who was just kinda of whatever(Liked her look though). I really don't know what to think about Leto's Joker, a more gangster approach is interesting...but he feels a little bit...too sane?(Also gotta add is was really neat to see that iconic Joker and Harley cover come to life in that blink and you'll miss it flashback). I can certainly understand why people dislike it, but it's in no way as terrible as some claim.

For me the movie was a hot mess thanks to too many characters, no clear plot or purpose, and generally an awful script. It was _nearly saved_ by some great performances with what they were given ... but at the end of the day it's still a throw away film that I"m glad I saw for free thanks to T-Mobile.

Overall the movie felt like it was over-stuffed with characters ... then WB said "but screening shows people like Harley so we need more of her ... a lot more ... and make Joker is in there because he's the Joker". So they found ways to awkwardly cram a Harley story into the primary film that had zero relation to _anything_ else in the movie save for giving Harley a backstory than ran something like 20 minutes longer than anyone else (when you lump all the Joker events together). At one point they had the most bizarre 5 minute cut where she looked down some stairs and we see some sexual fantasy flash-back between Harley and Joker play out and all I could think of is ... what? What did this have to do with ... anything? It's OK though: it ended abruptly and was never brought up again. But that was really the whole movie: a bunch of random events the characters just kind of live through.

At what point the the anti-heroes do ... anything on their own free will? Outside the Enchantress villian, all of them basically plaid their parts perfectly and did exactly what was asked of them. They went where they were told. They executed the exact plan they were told to (in fact at no point did anyone in the squad actually come up with ANY clever idea ... they just followed everything told to them. Even the bomb to kill the big bads were the special forces' plans). They then went back to prison nice and quietly.

This movie needed a lot less Harley Quinn's butt walking down a hallway and a lot more actual story and plot. They could have cut the squad in half at least. Boomerang was filler. Croc was filler. Katana was filler. Heck one villain's sole existence was just long enough to make sure people knew the chips worked. The Joker could have actually been completely removed as well: his obsession with Harley made no sense and made his quest to win her back empty. The best you could hope for was total chaos as he messed things up but his arrival was over/resolved within 30 seconds in the end of the movie.

Wait why did Enchantress have a costume change midway into the movie again? Why did she change right back when it was time to fight? For a moment I thought she became Gozer and we were about to watch Ghost Busters. Sexy-dancing-spell-caster-girl-from-Never-Ending-Story was a complete mess, which was a shame because she started soooo creepy cool (I loved that effect of her grabbing the hands of her host as she changed). I would have loved to see a slow unravel of the squad ... would have been fine if Will Smith kept his heart-o-gold while things went to hell around him ...

... this movie was just wasted potential. Unless you needed some hot Harley fap material. Plenty of that. Should have been called "Stuff happens while you stare at Haley's butt". Nice butt it was though.

THere were some good performances in this hot mess ... but it was despite of the story and not because of it.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 08-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.

i really loved this a lot. haven't had that much fun at the movies in a very long time.

could it have been better? maybe, but what couldn't? this was pure joy on film.

bravo to margot robbie, will smith, viola davis, jared leto, and cara develigne who all practically shined in this. jai courtney's boomerang was awesome in his own right.

suicide squad was easily one of my top movies of the summer, if not the year.

Extraordinary Member

Ayer did a good job. But if there's a part 2 I think DC should look at Robert Rodriguez or Guilermo Del Toro for the next one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea no live action version really fits the character from the comics imo and we have had 3. Will smiths was atleast well acted.

One thing i never got Deadshot wants to die in a blaze of glory, why not go after Deathstroke? If he really wants to die in an epic fire fight thats one sure way to make it happen.
    Read Secret 6 for that epic firefight between Deadshot and Deathstroke.

I go to a movie like Suicide Squad for the psychology of it. I don't know how DC expects a movie audience to sympathise with a cast full of super criminals, but they did. There were a few galloping threads amongst all of the drama. There were the nanochains, there was the fact these criminals all came from the same hole they were put in, and there was the ego thing. I recently saw a thing on the 1980's and there was an AIDS recording made for Ethiopian starving and the invited had to enter a room, and above the door was a sign, something like, " All who enter here, leave your egos at the door". And they did. If you have a room full of celebrities, with Clapton, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, Sting, everybody just levelled out together, and that's what I think happened to the Suicide Squadron.

DC broke open something here, like they did in Batman - Superman, in that here we were supposed to just see 2 dimensional characters; villains with throwaway personalities, or, cliche's. But that's not what happened here. This time we saw things from the villains perspective, and we saw the Lady big shot who put the team together was just as bad as the villains, but, she was doing it for the right reasons - "what if Superman wasn't here, who can we send in to do his job"?

And I loved that introduction title of the movie. The actual way the title grew towards the audience, it's colours and the music playing. It was electrifying, and set the mood of what to look forward too.

It was a success. At the end, the guy next to me said to me, "wasn't that a great movie"? I asked did he follow DC, and he said, "I never even heard of DC, but my nephews have seen it and my sister, (he was in his 40-50's)". Then I made the comment that it wasn't like TV. It was a whole lot more gritty.

I loved that we saw some of what was like the cartoon Harley Quin in flashbacks with that high pitched voice screeching at "Bats", as well as the less flamboyant prison beaten Harley. I loved how Harley shouted to the Mexican fire guy to, "own it" that he killed his children. I was looking forward to the psychologist Harley's imput as far as super villainy philosophy is concerned and she made comments that I wanted to hear. I liked the origin scene where she threw herself to her death letting go for Joker, but Joker relented and fished her out of the pot of bubbling fluid, and that was the birth of Harley Quin.

Crazy Joker was the cliche' in the movie, except for his devotion to Harley, and when she thought he died in the helicopter crash and threw away the necklace, was a different way of seeing her madness had no focal-point to the Joker now, until, at the end, it came back.

The movie was full of making the villains 3 dimensional, like Deadshot and Harley, and how they all stuck together even when they were set free. The way the Mexican fire maker sacrificed himself to selfdestruction, as his penance for killing his children. The "Honor among thieves" toast was a great moment, though the Mexican said he wasn't a thief. I like how 3 dimensional aspects of hardened criminals is opened up, even at the end, when Deadshots daughter was discussing the mathematics of angles of shots, and her daddy was saying "it depended on many factors darling". Ghoulish, but making their connection.

I echo plaudits to Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, as a very scary person, and Davis as a veteran actor fit into the role of villainess as smoothly as Darth Vaders James Earl Jones. Loved it.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-07-2016 at 01:32 AM.

I'm not saying she is? I'm just talking about people's acceptance of characters discovering pivotal info without any reasoning is all. The same happened in Civil War where Tony Stark just knew Peter Parker was Spiderman lol. Most people were like, "It's Tony Stark, man! He's smart, he probably..." and then speculated.
    I think Peter was guilted into telling all the New Avengers he was Spiderman. Tony didn't figure it out himself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    Not the great movie it should have been, but a decent one. Can't say I hated it.

If the film had been entirely about the rescue mission then I think it would have hit the mark, but the Super Villain plot kills a lot of it. Some DC enemy, less Supernatural, take over the city. Suicide Squad sent in to rescue Waller and maybe some other important people. Batman shadowing the squad and Joker relentless in getting his Harley back.

Better idea to me.
    No, I'm fine with the structure, especially that Witch when she was first introduced and what she could do, was one of the scariest moments of it. When it turns out there are two of them, brother and sister, it became too fantastic how the SS could possibly face them. That it all went to Hell, and, their mission turned out to be Waller was just trying to cover her own ass, was added pathos for this kind of thing - Trying to get super villains to act in unison. They achieved nothing, but clean up their own mess. It's so poetic it's not funny.

BANNED

Now that plenty of people have seen this, I have a plot question i'm confused about:

Why was Amanda Waller in Midway city? When we learn she's the person of interest in need of rescue, she compliments the Goons that Enchantress had created so was she in Midway city to see the weaponized Goons? Was that her interest to figure out how to make an army of Enchantress goons?