• Okay

35 20.11%
  • Not so good

33 18.97%
  • Terrible

22 12.64%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    Ultimate Member

One thing I don't get is why they didn't have Joker team up with the Enchantress. Give her tips on dressing her minions or what have you.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    One thing I don't get is why they didn't have Joker team up with the Enchantress. Give her tips on dressing her minions or what have you.
    Because the Joker in this was a killer psychopathic mobster in a sense. He wouldn't fit working with Enchantress since she's a former god like being who wants to rule the entire world.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Because the Joker in this was a killer psychopathic mobster in a sense. He wouldn't fit working with Enchantress since she's a former god like being who wants to rule the entire world.
    I'm sure he has a sense of humor though

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The characters were fun. It was a chance to see the characters showcased. Sort of The Magnificent Seven with villains. Which alone makes for a fun movie.
    This. Good movie based on the character play, not on the plot. And visually it was pretty nice as well. Just very entertaining, if very shallow.

Joker helped me enjoy it. There were times I felt like it was two separate movies going on, like he was sabotaging the main movie, in a good way. But I loved the ending when he and his gang rescues Harley, that was cool.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    You aren't "acknowledging reality," you're stating your opinion. Your opinion is just that. It doesn't make the opinions of others wrong. You can dislike something without it being objectively bad. And when you state something that contradicts the opinions of the vast majority of critics and moviegoers, that makes it an opinion shared by a very narrow group, which should give you a bigger clue that its your own likes and dislikes that are to blame, not the thing you're disliking.
    Considering the amount of **** that gets a free pass from both the critics and a large part of the audience in Marvel movies and that never really gets addressed by its supporters in an actually critical way[*] even when it's actually brought up, you've not given me any real reason to think that the opinion of the majority is also the correct opinion.

[*] Unless retorts like "it was successful, so shut up!", "you're in the minority", "you just don't get it" and "this movie wasnt made to cater to you" count as on-point replies.

Yeah, don't try to hide behind the army for your positions, thanks.

US soldiers are expected to ignore illegal orders. They are not sheep.
    Sure they aren't. In fact, sometimes they're the wolves. And talking about "legal" or "illegal" in a context like the super-secret Task Force X program, where convicted felons are coercively used as mercenaries in high-risk scenarios to provide perfect deniability and they are kept in line through implanted explosive devices is not very different than arguing abut angels' gender.

I would think that Flag would find the safety of the world, and June, more important than obeying Waller. Especially given what happened
    The answer in your reply post doesn't dovetail with the scenario exposed in my original post. The safety of June also depends on obeying Waller. You can't split those two things so easily.

His motivations matter because it sets him apart. Makes him interesting, not cliche.
    Then every character in the whole world of fiction is a cliché because it has a varying number of precursors in other works from other authors and the number of truly original concepts and storylines produced in the last millennium can be counted on two hands without even using all the fingers. Pointing at cliché's as if they were the reason a character or situation doesn't work is horribly short-sighted and movie!Deadshot's character isn't in any way damaged by the fact that he thinks about his daughter in an "end of the world" scenario, it's just coherent with the fact he isn't absolute trash (just like the comic character).

Do you think Will Smith will allow his character to be upstaged?
    There's no reason to believe that Joel Kinnaman can't have his fifteen minutes of glory in a SS sequel. Since, you know, Will Smith taking centre-stage in every movie he has a role in isn't the reason the DCEU was started.

What? In the 80s, Stark had a drinking problem, control freak problems and he's always had health issues. But him having a mild sense of humor to blunt the edge is a bridge too far? Okay...
    Do you even read what I write? I specifically wrote that they started the MCU by taking one of Marvel's trademark superheroes with superproblems and then pretty much removed the superproblems that made him a fully 3-dimensional (and very humanly vulnerable) character, because if there's one thing I can't really see Marvel-Disney ever do is to produce a sequence that has even 10% of the emotional might of "Demon in a bottle". Now, THAT's the kind of storyline that would make me change my mind about the MCU! Tony Stark cracking jokes every five seconds and being depicted as smarter than everyone in the remaining four grows old very quickly if there's nothing to show that there's more to that character than "the one we should cheer for".

Yes, because of years of history, though they were always villains. Gail's last Secret Six arc was about that. History that doesn't exist in the movies.
    No. It was all up to Gail considering that they were all either original creations never explored by anyone who wasn't her or characters that were saved from the scrap heap by being included in that roster. In fact, Simone had to fight against the awful character decay (10 years of mistreatment and frequent jobs tend to do that) of Bane to make the readers invested in him again. And a reader could perfectly enjoy Deadshot's depiction in Secret Six without having read any other comic featuring him (not impossible, considering that Suicide Squad's revivals before 2011 were generally ignored by the fandom) and easily enjoy the character without necessarily knowing the whole history behind Floyd.

Just wondering. To each their own, though I'd say that Suicide Squad didn't even reach McDonald Hamburger level quality at it's best
    YOU'd say. Emphasis on the subject pretty much required.
    Last edited by Powertool; 12-31-2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Comic!Tony Stark deserved better

Fantastic Member

I saw the movie yesterday for the first time (extended version) and i rather liked it. It is not as entertaining and fun as GotG (because this is the comparison most people make I did it too), but I still enjoyed it for what it is. Although a lot of the enjoyment probably stems from seeing Harley in her outfit and the close up of her behind

There are 3 things though , which stretched the suspenion of disbelief:

1) during the presentation and on other occasions, why did Enchantress not simply teleport to the case and grab the heart from the case. It is not like Waller could have done anything about it fast enough.

2) Flag and Waller were threatening the Squad with the app on a phone. There were umpteen occasions to kill Waller or destroy the phone before she activates it.

3) Bruce Wayne´s help or not, how is Waller still in Power? It was clear, that the people in command knew that it was the Enchantress, aka Waller´s pet project, who was the caus of this.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I saw the movie yesterday for the first time (extended version) and i rather liked it. It is not as entertaining and fun as GotG (because this is the comparison most people make I did it too), but I still enjoyed it for what it is. Although a lot of the enjoyment probably stems from seeing Harley in her outfit and the close up of her behind

1) during the presentation and on other occasions, why did Enchantress not simply teleport to the case and grab the heart from the case. It is not like Waller could have done anything about it fast enough.

2) Flag and Waller were threatening the Squad with the app on a phone. There were umpteen occasions to kill Waller or destroy the phone before she activates it.

3) Bruce Wayne´s help or not, how is Waller still in Power? It was clear, that the people in command knew that it was the Enchantress, aka Waller´s pet project, who was the caus of this.
    because sequel/spin-off

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post

Too risky. She's an instant too slow and the heart blows up.
    I mean, she was actually shown in the movie to teleport to the case, made a grab for it, and changed her mind when she saw the light go from green to red when she got too close.

If she's dead then she can't give them what she's promised them.

I don't think it was clear that anybody knew this. And she was shown executing the people that did know.

I'm one of the people who loved BvS (the ultimate edition) but I can't really defend Suicide Squad.

Everything about it feels rushed and hacked up. Margot Robbie and Will Smith are the only highlights. The action isn't even fun or creative. The soundtrack is cringe-worthy, the threat as basic and typical as can be and overall it's mostly just boring because of how obviously edited and shuffled around it feels.

Extraordinary Member

I have a friend on facebook message me the other day after seeing it for the first time, asking if it was supposed to be good.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

I get frustrated, thinking about this movie, because I liked most of the actors and the visual style, but the characters and plot are so botched!

It seems like a simple outline to follow: 1) get the team together, they look cool, act tough, and don't connect. 2) everyone goes on a quick mission. Success. Funny. Slipknot dies. The team begins to bond, we see some backstories. 3) Now Enchantress turns, and they have a reason to go get her, backstories and bonding pay off along the way.

I just cannot fathom how they cut the movie together the way they did, and tried to force all this phony camaraderie on what was literally the team's first mission, a stupid, convoluted mission that didn't really have any sustained emotional stakes at any point. All the Joker stuff was simply a mistake to include, in my opinion, and took away from any potential focus on developing most of the team members beyond ham-fisted vignettes and lame one-liners. Katana didn't even really get either of those, lol.

I know nobody wants to hear it, and I'm not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to rant a little because I saw so much wasted potential in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    I get frustrated, thinking about this movie, because I liked most of the actors and the visual style, but the characters and plot are so botched!

It seems like a simple outline to follow: 1) get the team together, they look cool, act tough, and don't connect. 2) everyone goes on a quick mission. Success. Funny. Slipknot dies. The team begins to bond, we see some backstories. 3) Now Enchantress turns, and they have a reason to go get her, backstories and bonding pay off along the way.

I just cannot fathom how they cut the movie together the way they did, and tried to force all this phony camaraderie on what was literally the team's first mission, a stupid, convoluted mission that didn't really have any sustained emotional stakes at any point. All the Joker stuff was simply a mistake to include, in my opinion, and took away from any potential focus on developing most of the team members beyond ham-fisted vignettes and lame one-liners. Katana didn't even really get either of those, lol.

I know nobody wants to hear it, and I'm not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to rant a little because I saw so much wasted potential in this movie.
    No, that pretty well sums up the movie. Introduce the characters, assemble a team, go somewhere and fight some spider-men, have a beer, go somewhere else and fight some more spider-men, fight a big CGI monster, The End, Waller talks to Batman about something. Not saying I didn't like the movie but it was obvious the plot was written on the back of a napkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Considering the amount of **** that gets a free pass from both the critics and a large part of the audience in Marvel movies and that never really gets addressed by its supporters in an actually critical way[*] even when it's actually brought up, you've not given me any real reason to think that the opinion of the majority is also the correct opinion.
    But your opinion is right and theirs is wrong for...reasons??
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    Last edited by RikWriter; 01-07-2017 at 07:54 AM.

I enjoyed Batman v Superman Theatrical Release (8.0/10.0) and later really enjoyed the Ultimate Cut (9.0/10.0). So I was looking forward to Suicide Squad. Although not a powerful story, I still found Suicide Squad fun with good portrayals of Deadshot (Will Smith had me worried, and yet delivered), Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Katana (I want more of her), and even Killer Croc. I'll give it to Rick Flagg as well, as though I would have liked to see Tom Hardy in the role Joel Kinnaman did a decent job.

Between the Deadshot shooting range scene and his defense of the team in the street, Will Smith turned out to be my favorite. Harley Quinn's changing voice from Brooklyn accent to something more common-tongue, IMHO, was multiple personality disorder from her torture. So the Margot Robbie portrayal worked for me as well. It's just a shame with China banning the film due to the Japanese symbolism on Katana and the supposed witchcraft concerns we didn't get to see how high this movie could really go at the box office.

7.0/10.0 for me. Entertaining, rewatchable, but with the realization it is not a deep story. But neither is Guardians of the Galaxy if you really peel it apart - and I love that film (though the 'dance off bro' scene is funny yet odd at the same time).