Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default SuperSons Cancelled! Jon Experiment Showing Signs of Failing! New52 Superman to the Rescue?

SuperSons has been cancelled for 2016! They now say they plan to do it in 2017, but 2017 is a long time away. A lot can change. This may be the first brick in the wall of bringing down SuperDad and his annoying SuperSon. They've basically cancelled or delayed a book before it's begun that was supposed to be a tentpole for them.

How long till we get new52 Superman back in place on one of the two main Superman books? Action Comics' sales are starting to take a tumble...

Dan Jurgens was just recently crowing on Twitter that "Everybody loves Jon". Guess not.

Think they'll let Dan keep Action Comics when they hand it back over to new52 Superman?

Who should they get to right the real new52 universe Superman's new adventures? Any hot free agents out there in the comic book world who'd like to write the Man of Steel?

I'm not so confident that this'll happen that I am going to start picking up books in anticipation. In fact, a while back, I dropped the one SuperDad book I was buying issue by issue to give it a chance, because I don't like SuperDad, I don't like SuperJon, and I never will.

I like them even less than Captain Kirk likes Klingons (Skip to the 2:40 mark):

I will not be buying another Superman book until the real Superman returns or they reboot to a third entirely new Superman with no SuperSon....

So, probably Octoberish.

I'm in an optimistic mood tonight.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 08-03-2016 at 09:55 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Super Sons AND Justice League of America have been pushed back to 2017 because they want to do more set up for them. This basically mean they want to milk Rebirth a little longer and have these two highly anticipated titles for phase 1.5 of Rebirth. If anything it gives me more faith in the title.

Didio has also gone on record saying Super Sons is his favorite title.

This thread is very misleading.....

I mean, come on bruh smh
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Super Sons AND Justice League of America have been pushed back to 2017 because they want to do more set up for them.
    Well, Justice League of America could be a different situation because they haven't finished the Pre-Rebirth Justice League of America yet and claim to be coming back to it with the issues already written, which at one a month might take to the New Year.

However, you gotta admit, with SuperSons, it sounds like they are covering something. "The character's just too popular. We hate money. Gotta delay the book.". Give that some real thought. What type of logic does that make? They are delaying it for a reason. Now, maybe that reason is that they see this failing like I hope and there never will be a book, maybe it's something else like they they planned to shift one of the artists over from Superman, but are having trouble getting it on a double ship schedule and can't shift him over as planned or whatever.

I mean, I will be honest, the only real reason I can see where they would hope SuperSons back 6 months or more after they planned that would have something to do with the character doing *well* would be if they planned to sort of cut Jon out of the Superman title or lessen his role and shift his stories to the SuperSons book, and have now decided to keep them in Superman instead, which would be bad for anyone having to read the Superman comics, but maybe good for their bottom line. Other than that possible explanation, I think almost everything else that's vaguely realistic says that they are losing confidence in SuperDad and SuperJon. At least, I hope they're losing confidence.

Look, they brutally killed off my Superman and basically told fans of him (like me) to take a hike. I reserve the right to gloat and be happy whenever I see any signs their horrible replacement SuperDad and SuperSon combo look like they may be failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Didio has also gone on record saying Super Sons is his favorite title.
    A book that probably hasn't even been written yet is his favorite title?

That's hype.

Or maybe he actually felt it would be, but he'll adjust if the reality is that it'd lose money. He'll do what's best for business, or they'll find someone else to fill the job who will.

Notice how little Jon is on the cover of the comics relative to how much he's in the stories? What does that tell you in their confidence about how much he'll sell? They use an image that looks like Superman to sell the comics and then pull the bait and switch and give the readers stories about some 10 year old.

"They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    A book that probably hasn't even been written yet is his favorite title?
    I should revise that and say that it's his most anticipated title. That's mostly because he loves the concept.

But anyways, you also seem to neglect to post about how Justice League of America is also pushed back along with Super Sons.

Here's the actual quote, fam

"One of the things that’s strange is we were planning #1s through September and possibly into October, but the relaunch was so strong at the beginning that we actually delayed some of the later books into next year to give them more time to spend, to build them creatively, but also we didn’t feel the urgency. We wanted to make sure we didn’t overwhelm the fan base right from the start with so many titles that we decided to delay some of the material. So we made slight adjustment on our schedule so books like Justice League America and Super Sons that we announced for later this year are moving into 2017."

So you're telling me that DC's not going to put out a highly anticipated book like Super Sons AND a new Justice League book just in time for the movie? Hahah what? Oh snap, when does that Justice League movie come out again? Oh right, 2017.

Wanna know what they're very likely doing? They saw that Rebirth has been doing pretty strong work in sales so they were like "lets hold back on some books so we can get a bit of that hype when new books and not just new number 1s come out. And oh yeah, we've got a freakin Justice League movie coming in 2017 so lets get some books put out around that time to ride the hype wave even more"

They seem pretty damn transparent about all this, man. Has nothing to do with Jon. Oh and btw the book he's heavily featured in (Superman) is doing work on the sales....so yeah..
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-03-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Notice how little Jon is on the cover of the comics relative to how much he's in the stories? What does that tell you in their confidence about how much he'll sell? They use an image that looks like Superman to sell the comics and then pull the bait and switch and give the readers stories about some 10 year old.
    Currently the best selling Superman title.....first arc called "Son of Superman"...

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I assume this is because they had high-profile(ish) talent lined up and they backed out, so they needed to get someone new and they're pushing them back accordingly. Or, possibly, they decided that between John still being set up in the Superman books and the previous JLA title still going for a few more months, it'd work better to hold them off for a bit. I have no doubt about either title happening (and Justice League America apparently is the real title, rather than a misprint of Justice League of America. Huh).

And look, I like New 52 Superman better too, but the other guy was around for 20+ years. He's as much "real Superman" as it gets. You're constantly on with this, we get it.
    Buh-bye

In all seriousness, it should have been scheduled for 2017 in the first place. Its taking time to establish Jon as Superboy (which I'm not criticizing, its a good move), but it wouldn't make much sense to have the main titles in which he lives slowly establishing him as a superhero but then have him running around with Robin in another. Wait for that until he's at least out of the starting gate and ready to step out into that larger world so it syncs up better.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Good god,are you aware how you are starting to come off sounding like?

The current Superman is here to stay,whether it's revealed he really is New 52 Superman aged or not. Nuperman isn't coming back,or at least not in the manner you want. Sales aren't collapsing. in spite of all the endless ranting and childish posts and this nearly 6 month temper tantrum of yours,most Superman readers either actually like Jon or just don't care either way,because the stories and creative cohesion of the Superman line is the best it has been in years.

Time to stop acting like a spoiled child ranting and stomping his foot. You are better than this.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Unhappy

This is ridiculous .... This does not prove anything.. Damian had problems in the past(I heard this..), and he still here, as a better character..
    and I hear about the success of John...

Maybe in 2017 begin supersons and is more successful, because they changed something during this time.... DAMN... DC could have made 1 saga more of Robin: Son of batman..

After learning the truth about rebirth, I left behind the idea of many comics.. Is the same thing happened in N52 with old fans.. I see SM:Lois Clark(until chapter 5 or 6) since I know about the next step with superdad family(and the chapter of the fake supervillain, did not like me), too strong, replace the superman of this universe..For my part I NEVER will give them any opportunity..

Succeed or Failed idea(the superdad family) in 2 years.. for recover N52 Superman as a different character with more pre-flashpoint superman personality(for this idea of New+Old... Just look WW), is not necessary...the character interested me for those little differences

I like to see that picture of Superman hitting superdad again.. He is my enemy.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-04-2016 at 08:25 AM.

So just to make sure I understand the OP, critical and fan praise, high sales, new characters that are widely accepted and taking time to creatively develop characters that are quickly becoming popular are all indications of failure? Man, I should fail like this. I'd be failing all the way to the bank. It's a shame some people are being so close-minded that they aren't giving these stories a chance. This is the best Superman has been in years. Some really fun and interesting storytelling is happening.

DC Delays Super Sons And Justice League Of America Until 2017

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/...ca-until-2017/

Is the O.P for real?