Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

WHOOPS. Yeah, half-siblings is what I meant. But spiritually we gotta figure Jon will get a brother in Damian. Seems like they'll near hate each other at first but everyone knows that's the first step in bromance. Pretty sure everyone knew that Wally and Kyle would be besties the second they pulled the "Unlike Barry and Hal, these two hate each other!" card back in the 90s.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-08-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I wasn't here when all the Chris Kent stuff went down,so I can't speak to that. I myself though was all for it and am still personally all for Superman as a husband and father.

However,with most people who are critical of this status quo,it isn't so much about the idea of Superman as a dad or about Jon himself (the OP being the notable exception of course), it's more about how it came to pass. I.E. the underwhelming nature of Nuperman's demise and the subsequent cut and paste sloppy way of bringing in the current Superman,something that was and is at the present time unresolved and needlessly convoluted. I personally am enjoying the stories but there's a huge elephant in the room that will eventually need being addressed before things can move on.
    The other aspect of it is that its not just that Suoerman has a ten year old son. Its that the 10 year old son is a superhero and a big focus of the books.

If Jon were just a normal 10 year old kid who Superman happened to have and you saw him sitting at the dinner table or referenced in passing once every six months, that would not be a problem. The problem is that firstly he is a big focus of the books, so if you don't want to read about the adventures of a ten year old, its hard to enjoy the books. That its very irresponsible parenting to have your kid be allowed to put himself in that kibd of danger against people who will try to kill him is another problem, and its not only hard to "watch", it also changes the nature of the Superman character from being the guy who protected children and such to being the guy who lets his own pre-adoloscent go out and fight serial killers. And, sure, Batman always had Robin, but thats one of the reasons I've never been able to latch on to Batman comics (Plus prr-Damian, it seems like the Robins were at least more 16, nearly adults). Superman was dofferent and that's part of why I liked the character.

I mean, this is not a monor change. It changes the whole premise of the series. Traditionally, Clark Kent is a single investigative reporter for the Daily Planet with a secret identity of Superman, both sort of fighting injustice in different ways with an apartment in the city amwho'd get teased at the office and had a secret crush on a co-worker who had a crush on Superman, sort of a love triangle. Now Clark "White" is a farmer raising a son with his wife, and both he and his son don costumes and fight together with their powers. I mean, its a different book, really. The 1p year old superhero son/sidekick changes a lot. I don't need some annoying kid going "Go Dad go!" and having drama surrounding fitting in at school and passing math class.

Its not like adding a small character to the recurring cast. Its half the book (More than half the book in the main title, a bit less in AC, but we'll just say half). Its Superman and SiperJon and they are the main two people. Plus, Jon isn't just there, he changes Superman by his presence. Suddenly, Superman is primarily about keeping hos fsmily secret and safe initially, and is no longer the defender of Metropolis and the earth. Its like suddenly Metropolis and earth are a distant 2nd and 3rd to Jon.

It just isn't the same book.

Its not replacing new52 Superman with the old Superman or a new Superman, both who'd be somewhat different, but basically the same character in the same type of stories, its replacing Superman with a father-son duo. It feels like before being a reporter, a farmer, Siperman, or Clark Kent; SiperDad is a Dad, and thats what the books are about, he's like the old Pa Kent except he has powers. And obvioisly this 10 year old kid is the uncredited co-star. So its not just losibg my favorite Superman and his distinctives and not having a guy who remembers and can follow up on most of the comics I have, to add insult to injury, the people replacing him aren't even really in the same genre and don't have the same base for stories.

New52 Superman, Post-Crisis Superman in his first decade or so, and the other past Supermans have more kn common with each other in terms kf the stories and motivations and setup than they do with SuperDad, even if siperDad technically turns out to *be* one of them. The comic is just not the same comic.

Jon isn't the main character in the books, taking the spotlight away from Superman. He's a supporting character. The focus of all the Superman books is still very much Superman. Besides, who wants the same book over and over and over again? Is it a change? Yeah it is. It's also character growth and opportunities for new stories with new supporting cast members. Jon maybe Superman's son but that doesn't stop him from being Superman. He's still doing everything Superman is supposed to do with all the crazy adventure that entails. Adding in one cast member doesn't change the whole dynamic of the book or the character of Superman. If you don't like it, cool. No one is forcing you to read it. Though constantly ranting about how one character is ruining the line or how that character makes Superman look bad is getting tiresome. So is all the blatant lying about cancellations or what the stories are like and various other things. You invalidate your points by constantly being dishonest, as the title of this very thread is proof of.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Jon isn't the main character in the books, taking the spotlight away from Superman. He's a supporting character. The focus of all the Superman books is still very much Superman. Besides, who wants the same book over and over and over again? Is it a change? Yeah it is. It's also character growth and opportunities for new stories with new supporting cast members. Jon maybe Superman's son but that doesn't stop him from being Superman. He's still doing everything Superman is supposed to do with all the crazy adventure that entails. Adding in one cast member doesn't change the whole dynamic of the book or the character of Superman. If you don't like it, cool. No one is forcing you to read it. Though constantly ranting about how one character is ruining the line or how that character makes Superman look bad is getting tiresome. So is all the blatant lying about cancellations or what the stories are like and various other things. You invalidate your points by constantly being dishonest, as the title of this very thread is proof of.
    It's a shame this forum doesn't have a " likes" option,because this post can't be liked strongly enough .
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I did not care see Aquaman married with Mera, she is always present, is part of that comic, see the character married was not the problem.. I'm not a teenager in search of silly relations.. I'm interested in the novelty with Superman/Wonderwoman(two persons different from the rest, together).... Until rebirth, I thought N52 was Modern DC, a new begin, to ensure that DC characters will continue for many years..

The problem with Superman is that DC have absolutely changed Superman world, supporting an old version continue forward and throwing back the current superman.. the problem are the characters who DC use, not what they do.. Before REBIRTH, I never had problems with these characters and I gave an opportunity to his comic..

In Dark Knight Master Race I would have no problem for see the Superman family.. But this is imposible... Although, they mentioned that Lara and Carrie had a great role...

I also see this topic as something stupid(maybe.. in 2 year .. Supersons is so successful, that this topic is a joke..), and I mentioned before, this should be closed.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

This is the most misleading thread title since last month when someone just typed "Poop!"

Master Hero Vladimir

Honestly, I like Jon and I'm glad he is a staple character in the Superman mythos for the foreseeable future, not some random one-shot character who is just there to spice up Clark and Lois' lives.

This was a fun read. You guys are all crazy and I love it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This was a fun read. You guys are all crazy and I love it lol.
    Jon does provide a very interesting turn to the Superman mythos, and provides an interesting foil to Damian as well. Continuing the Super/Bat family friendships to a new generation.

Sales are great, especially for a limited series. Jon's gonna stay, even if he has to be put on a bus every once in a while.

It's sold fine. But I don't really consider roughly 35k "great". Of course then again by that measure DC only has a handful of titles that do sell great. But all the same I'd label it in the realm of decent, not great. Pretty much in the realm where your average spin-off character lives. The original monthly saw significant drops as it went on as well.

That's not saying I don't think he's sticking around; its pretty obvious he is. But he's not the sales juggernaut his fans make him out to be.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-21-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El