Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Suicide Squad" Outpaces "Guardians" With $8.1 Million Overseas Debut

The Warner Bros. film is expected to earn more than $100 million in its international rollout, and earn another $125 million domestically this weekend.

Full article here.

Wow who would have thought that a film with more marketing, star power and A-list characters would outpace a film that had less marketing, star power and unknown characters. Lol this isn't even close to a fair comparison as the similarities between the two are the fact that they both came out in August and they both have soundtracks that feature "classic songs". Suicide Squad having both of these things is likely do to the fact that Warner Bros. wanted to replicate GotG's success but now it's backfired and has everyone comparing the two properties, which ultimately make SS look worse. SMH

Well done so far. Can't wait.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Mighty Member

Watch this one play out like BvS. Huge opening weekend. No legs and steep second weekend drop off. Movie is still a box office hit and make decent money. Executives unhappy over bad reviews and potential money left on the table... I'm guessing, OK?
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Way too early, it's the dropoff that SS needs to be worried about.

But Guardians had a lot of star power. Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana and Vin Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

But Guardians had a lot of star power. Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana and Vin Diesel.
    Two of those were just voices, and I've never heard anyone say "boy, I can't wait to see that Zoe Saldana film". More people knew who Glenn Close and John C. Reilly than most of the cast of Guardians.

SS had Will Smith. That guy once drew legions of viewers to films on his charisma and name alone. He's still probably considered bigger than the entire cast of Guardians was at the time of its release.

We'll see how SS does on its second weekend, though... If it's anything like the reviews, I'll be a bit concerned.

They even have Batman guest starring and virtually no competition at the box office for a long time.

If this isn't a huge success, I don't know where DC goes from here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

Yes and no... Bradley Cooper played a Raccoon and Vin Diesel played a walking tree, so their faces were not exactly plastered all over the marketing and promo.

taking a look at reserved seat selections in my area, it looks as if this weekend might be very good for suicide squad. not many seats left at all...

we shall see. fingers cross that audiences do enjoy this film. i know the actors and production crew worked very hard to deliver something we will love, judging by everything i have heard.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    They even have Batman guest starring and virtually no competition at the box office for a long time.

If this isn't a huge success, I don't know where DC goes from here.
    I think that thier roster of upcoming films will be cut back.

It's the nature of our fandom it seems to be pessimistic and point out the negatives in every thread instead of celebrating what should be a solid opening and hoping for the best. I thought my fellow Nole fans were bad with already talking about how we'll struggle in the next game, seconds after a big victory. Maybe it's just me. Enjoy.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Watch this one play out like BvS. Huge opening weekend. No legs and steep second weekend drop off. Movie is still a box office hit and make decent money. Executives unhappy over bad reviews and potential money left on the table... I'm guessing, OK?
    I dont think so, simply because of its tone. You can get away with more when your movie is fun. see Michael Bay.

BvS wasn't fun to most people. This will be.

I think Suicide Squad will have a higher Cinemascore and thusly a lower drop off than BvS.
    Last edited by eckesg1; 08-04-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    I dont think so, simply because of its tone. You can get away with more when your movie is fun. see Michael Bay.

BvS wasn't fun to most people. This will be.

I think Suicide Squad will have a higher Cinemascore and thusly a lower drop off than BvS.
    Maybe. Who knows. Either way it will be a salty victory for WB/DC... Why salty?

Another thing that's interesting Transformers have 4 relatively poorly received movies. Transformers 5 is coming out in next year, 10 years after the first. So 5 movies in 10 years.

DC plans to put out 5 movies in 2 years. If they continue to get bad reviews their brand and credibility will erode much faster. So, there is a lot more pressure to make movies everyone loves.
    Last edited by solletaire; 08-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.

BANNED

The movie won't have any legs.

I'm expecting a harsh drop just like Batman V Superman.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Maybe. Who knows. Either way it will be a salty victory for WB/DC... Why salty?

Another thing that's interesting Transformers have 4 relatively poorly received movies. Transformers 5 is coming out in next year, 10 years after the first. So 5 movies in 10 years.

DC plans to put out 5 movies in 2 years. If they continue to get bad reviews their brand and credibility will erode much faster. So, there is a lot more pressure to make movies everyone loves.
    What credibility? Everybody has divisive opinions on their DC movies. What credibility do they have? They have none right now as it is.