Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Nope, not at all. Hell, I don't even read reviews on any movie I'm interested in until after I've seen it. I prefer to watch a film first, then draw my own conclusion and see if it jibes with reviews.
    This is what I do for the most part, but if a director/studio/writer has gotten my interest and then let me down I'm more likely to check reviews for other movies by them. I can't ignore the percentage impression, but I usually just check reviewers I trust and its just easier to access them by RT.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

RT Can effect the success or failure of a movie to a degree, but overall people are gonna see what they want to see. Thus the reason the last Transformers movie made over 1 billion dollars worldwide despite poor reviews.

But yea, some films are effected more then others by bad reviews, some can't be stopped no matter what. You never really know what is goint to happen.

Personally i'm glad Suicide Squad is still on track to do 100-140 million this weekend despite negativity from critics.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 08-04-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Spectacular Member

Yeah, I'm glad too, send it a message to DC/WB, we don't care if you keep pushing out mediocre shit, keep making these sub-standard shit films, we will continue to consume, don't worry!

No they don't mean anything to me. Whether I like a movie or not.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by eckesg1 View Post
    I noticed Star Trek Beyond use a Rotten Tomatoes score in it's ads. This is going to be the norm, I fear. I think BvS set that off.
    X-Men: First Class was actually the first time I remember a movie using its Rotten Tomatoes score in the ads.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Mortimer View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad too, send it a message to DC/WB, we don't care if you keep pushing out mediocre shit, keep making these sub-standard shit films, we will continue to consume, don't worry!

Well the same could be said of hollywood as a whole not just WB. And its not like critics words are facts or the word of God. Weather a film is good or bad is always subjective. A flim can get shit reviews and still be loved by audiances and a film can get great reviews and be despised by audiances. Overall there is no such thing as the perfect film as different people like/dislike films for various reasons. And even if the popular opinion is something is good or bad that still doesn't make it factual.

For example. I like many enjoyed the film Zootopia, does that mean it is factually a good film, no, it does not. It is just a popular opinion that many share. If someone dislikes Zootopia they are no more or less right then me for doing so.

Or for a second example. Take Captain America: Civil War. Got good reviews, lots of people like it, I thought it was a piece of shit. Am I wrong just because I don't share popular opinion? No, no I am not. Nor are those who enjoyed it wrong either. At the end of the day it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

As for the quality of the DCEU flicks. Again bad reviews from critics do not make them factually bad. Weather they are good, bad, mediocre, whatever all comes down to what the person viewing the film gets out of it.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Rotten Tomatoes are BS. They finally got DC fans fed up enough to start a petition against them and crying conspiracy. RT even gives the worst movies a high score. I don't agree with most of their reviews and don't let them influence me on seeing a certain movie or not. Anyone who goes by anything they say are only being sheep.

Extraordinary Member

I'll answer the question 3 times. No,No and let me think about it for a second...NO.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I watch Collider, or read umpteen other sites. Haven't logged on to Tomatoes in a few years.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    RT has shown to me that many filmgoers are lazy idiots who just want a simple single numerical metric to check, rather than read a detailed review that outlines the good and the bad of a film and articulates how it made the reviewer feel.

I mean, take Suicide Squad: most the fresh reviews say that the film has severe problems, but when you look at the % score, that doesn't matter. No wonder critics can get cynical about the public's taste...
    Well there are a lot of reviews and unlike some people I personally don't have the time to read a 3 page review and I like to stay away from spoilers. If that makes me an idiot then so be it. I would rather have an average score to get the general idea of if its worth seeing or not.
    And a movie can have serious issues and still be enjoyable.
    Personally "pro" reviews mean less and less to me personally because it would seem to me that any left leaning movie that supports their idea gets extra credit.
    Freaking movie snobs are worst people....
    Last edited by Ohnooze; 08-04-2016 at 02:40 PM.

I think there's a common misconception about the Tomatometer. It isn't so much a measure of quality (like saying you averaged out an A for your final grade in math class), but rather, the percentage of reviewers that thought it was a good film. A movie that critics consistently thought was good and a movie that critics consistently thought was one of the best of all time would get the same Tomatometer. It's basically binary. I see it more as the odds someone watching it will give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. The Tomatometer is not a measure of how awesome a movie is.

I watch a lot of movies, so I often use the Tomatometer to decide whether something is worth my time. I'm not a critic, but as an avid movie watcher, over time you just start to pick up on a lot of the things critics notice like acting, script, structure, cinematography, and so forth. Occasionally, word of mouth may change my mind, but in general, the Tomatometer has done a decent job of steering me towards something I'd enjoy. The only times I will watch a movie regardless of the Tomatometer is for genre films I have been looking forward to (like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. films).

Incredible Member

Well I think I use RT correctly, unlike most. I very much do get excited for what the critics will say, and will be very happy or sad based off what the actual score says.

That being said, I don't just look at the score, I READ THE FUCKING REVIEWS.

Just because a movie has a fresh rating doesn't mean the Critics are super happy with it. Take Star Wars: TFA, read the reviews, and you'll see that most critics consider it a return to form for STAR WARS. Those same reviews also list the multiple BIG problems that film has.

You have to read the reviews. Don't just take a little blurb at face value.

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

High Score: See movie opening weekend.
    Low Score: Wait until the general audience opinion comes out.
    Low Score + High Audience Opinion: See the movie a week or so after opening weekend
    Low Score + Low Audience Opinion: Wait for it to air on FX

I've never put any stock in what RT has to say about anything. While I do enjoy reading movie reviews, I've never let one influence whether or not I watch something.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Well the same could be said of hollywood as a whole not just WB. And its not like critics words are facts or the word of God. Weather a film is good or bad is always subjective. A flim can get shit reviews and still be loved by audiances and a film can get great reviews and be despised by audiances. Overall there is no such thing as the perfect film as different people like/dislike films for various reasons. And even if the popular opinion is something is good or bad that still doesn't make it factual.

For example. I like many enjoyed the film Zootopia, does that mean it is factually a good film, no, it does not. It is just a popular opinion that many share. If someone dislikes Zootopia they are no more or less right then me for doing so.

Or for a second example. Take Captain America: Civil War. Got good reviews, lots of people like it, I thought it was a piece of shit. Am I wrong just because I don't share popular opinion? No, no I am not. Nor are those who enjoyed it wrong either. At the end of the day it comes down to different strokes for different folks.

As for the quality of the DCEU flicks. Again bad reviews from critics do not make them factually bad. Weather they are good, bad, mediocre, whatever all comes down to what the person viewing the film gets out of it.
    I don't want to sound like a dick, but your use of weather instead of whether is driving me crazy.

Also, yes you're wrong about Winter Soldier and Zootopia.