Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Should DC reinstate Year One as the in-canon Batman origin?

Title says it all. Zero Year, while a good story, just doesn't hold the same weight as Year One did. IMO, they should retcon Zero Year as a Batman story that took place after Year One and just have it be more so Riddler's origin than Batman's. Sort of like how Long Halloween became Two-Face's origin in the Post-Crisis DCU.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-30-2016 at 10:48 PM.

There is no reason DC should've let Snyder replace one of the greatest Batman stories of all time in the first place. Hell yes. It takes me out of a story any time they mention Zero Year as Batman's origin.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

While it would be ideal, as long Scott Snyder continues to be DC's Golden Boy it won't happen.

Extraordinary Member

I tend to think of Year One as being more of a Gotham City origin than a Batman origin, which is what Zero Year really strives to be. If it were up to me, I'd keep all of Gordon's plot threads, the scene where Batman threatens the gangsters, and then combine them with Bruce's journey in Zero Year and the Red Hood Gang story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    There is no reason DC should've let Snyder replace one of the greatest Batman stories of all time in the first place. Hell yes. It takes me out of a story any time they mention Zero Year as Batman's origin.
    What's ironic is that the factors that "necessitated" a new origin for Batman have effectively been removed win Rebirth. Ergo, they essentially replaced his in-canon origin for no reason.

Year One will always be Batman's origin story in my opinion. Zero Year could never come close.

BANNED

Zero Year is more suited for the type of Batman DC is pushing these days,a full fledged super hero and city guardian over Year Ones urban legend vigilante. I think it will be restored eventually because DC creators are nostalgic if nothing else and constantly resort to milking the same 2-3 stories when their own creativity well runs dry.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, Yaer one is a great story, but in the end it doesn't really has any effect on the current stories if it has canon or not, and it's style is (and was even in the last contiuity) to different from main series, so that it feels more like an else world story, than like really a part of the continuity.

And I don't really like some of the changes it made on the support characters. Selina as prostitute, Gordon cheating his wife with Sarah Essen, and being just arrived in Gotham, Barbara being his niece instead of his daugther. And James jr. being born in Year One also doesn't really work with him being almost Barbaras age now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't know, Yaer one is a great story, but in the end it doesn't really has any effect on the current stories if it has canon or not, and it's style is (and was even in the last contiuity) to different from main series, so that it feels more like an else world story, than like really a part of the continuity.
    It really isn't. I think it fits perfect with Batman's pre-FP status quo and even with his post-FP tone as well.

Also, I don't understand why it still needs to "have an effect" for it to still be canon. Does the death of Uncle Ben need to still be referenced constantly in Spider-Man comics for it to be part of Spider-Man's origin?

And I don't really like some of the changes it made on the support characters. Selina as prostitute, Gordon cheating his wife with Sarah Essen, and being just arrived in Gotham, Barbara being his niece instead of his daugther. And James jr. being born in Year One also doesn't really work with him being almost Barbaras age now.
    I honestly don't think Barbara was ever made Gordon's niece. If so, then I don't remember it, and it was pretty cemented on post-COIE continuity that Babs and James Gordon Jr. we're brother and sister.

As for the other changes, I really didn't mind them. Gordon having an affair is no big deal in my book. He's a flawed character. I dug it.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 07-31-2016 at 02:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    It really isn't. I think it fits perfect with Batman's pre-FP status quo and even with his post-FP tone as well.
    Imo the tone is very different from the rest of Batman and 'Tec the only LotDK is similar.

I kinda feel similar. It's a dope story. Even great. But I don't feel it's the end all be all.

I also don't feel like it's one or the other. I imagine all the bat writers nowadays and Snyder especially regard year one as thee origin. Zero year is just referenced more because it's more recent. Anyway, I don't like Selina as a hooker either. But there is room in my brain for both, and some combination is what I work off.

With the rebirth, timeline issues, and people remembering lost events, maybe it could be explained that year one happened first, but was forgotten in time, and the zero year kinda happened after. Like Year Two or Year 1.5 or something idk
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

I was thinking more about it, and it kinda dawned on me that all of Miller's other bat stories are in their own universe/continuity. Year One is the only one that is canon right?
    I wouldn't pretend to have any idea what the creators mindset was, but tonally Year One seems to me more an orgin for Dark Knight (and works for mainstream Batman) but I don't see it as exclusive. Idk if I'm saying this right, but what constitutes canon? The creators vision? If so, I mean Year One came from Miller's brain and his thoughts on the Batman character. As did DKR and all the rest. They are a certain take on Bruce and his world. And with that world being fleshed out recently with Last Crusade and DK3, maybe it makes sense in 2016 to hold Year One as orgin for THAT Batman, but give a little leeway in the main continuity for stories like Zero Year. Idk
    Last edited by SicariiDC; 07-31-2016 at 05:22 AM.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

The less Frank Miller is considered canon, the better.

BANNED

I agree that Miller's Year One is kind of dated now, but I'd still take it over Zero Year. I don't think Snyder will be too offended as long as his Zero Year is still canon.

But if DC was going to risk offending Snyder, I'd rather they get rid of his pet characters than tamper with Zero Year. Better for long term Batman stories.

Extraordinary Member

Imo the tone is very different from the rest of Batman and 'Tec the only LotDK is similar.
    Well, agree to disagree. But even so, Year One is still closer in tone to even the Batman stories they're pushing now than Zero Year is. Batman is still very much a street-level character. So how is a story that is about him going after gangsters less fitting than a story in which he's plopped into a Mad Max, dystopian-like scenario? Zero Year just doesn't feel like a Batman origin.