Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Agents of SHIELD": Why Ghost Rider Will - or Won't - Be Marvel TV's Savior

With Ghost Rider coming to Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", we break down why that could rejuvenate the show, or send it out in a blaze of glory.

Full article here.

Bad article. Contradictory and uninformed. I really wonder if the writer actually watches the show, based off of the arguments made. Give this article a hard pass.

^ Haha! Exactly what I thought. Extremely meh "opinion" piece that feels like it's built on 15 minutes of googling what "people are thinking."

Sub par garbage from CBR, which usually has more to offer. Read like one of those click bait articles at the bottom of the pages that I avoid. Wish I had avoided this, will never get those 5 minutes back...

Mighty Member

So make the show edgy, but edgy might be too edgy? TL;DR

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    Bad article. Contradictory and uninformed. I really wonder if the writer actually watches the show, based off of the arguments made. Give this article a hard pass.
    Don't agree at all. The article made several good points.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    I bailed right at the point when the writer starting in with the whining about AOS "sitting in the corner, unwanted and unloved." Seriously? Give me a goddamn break with that nonsense.

Look, I'm in the camp that's enjoyed AOS from the beginning without reservations, but the idea that the show has somehow gotten the short end of the stick from Marvel and "deserves" better treatment or a bigger audience is just fan-entitlement delusion. It's lasted 3 years on network TV. If next season is its last (and I suspect it will be) then 4 years is a decent run for a network show this days, particularly one that cannot legitimately boast having an exceptionally strong critical or fan base. AOS is an entertaining enough show, but it is not and never has been great and at this point seems to lack any real potential for being so. Even it its best, it's essentially been a less creative, less inventive, somewhat shallower and more bombastic version of Fringe.

All-New Member

One good point they made was in relation to younger characters. Why can't we get Kamala Khan on the show when the Inhumans are already such a big part of it? Or bring in Amadeus Cho or Jesse Alexander. There are so many of these characters they could do something with. It's not like we'll see any of the legacy heroes in the movies for at least a decade.

All-New Member

I think that Agents of Shield found its footing as "live action G.I. Joe for grownups." We just need more of that. More investigating fictional terrorist organizations with ludicrous super-science.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi82 View Post
    One good point they made was in relation to younger characters. Why can't we get Kamala Khan on the show when the Inhumans are already such a big part of it? Or bring in Amadeus Cho or Jesse Alexander. There are so many of these characters they could do something with. It's not like we'll see any of the legacy heroes in the movies for at least a decade.
    Or if S4 is really the last then try to set up new (young) characters for a new series (to coincide with the Champions comic series) set in the MCU.

kamala khan has become a beloved property for marvel that could easily penetrate into multiple markets. you really think they are going to just put her on a tv show?

Social Injustice Warrior lolgaxe's Avatar

Keep Ghost Rider supernatural and the ratings will be pretty stable. Make him Inhuman or science based and the ratings will drop when all the fans of the character drop the show.

Mighty Member

Because you can't have Kamala Khan before you have Carol and Captain Marvel...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by newy View Post
    Or if S4 is really the last then try to set up new (young) characters for a new series (to coincide with the Champions comic series) set in the MCU.
    They have Cloak and Dagger over at Freeform... I don't think "young characters" is really up ABC's alley. They even aged Robbie Reyes a good 5 years for the show...

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    Because you can't have Kamala Khan before you have Carol and Captain Marvel...
    And I strongly suspect they aren't gonna waste Kamala Khan on what is likely the last season of a TV show.

I disagreed with the article for the same reason I disagreed with the similar thread a few days ago: It's not the movie division's job to save SHIELD, and if the show seriously cannot work unless the movies start crossing over with it, then it needs to be cancelled.

Also as with the comments in the last one the "There's absolutely no excuse for the Avengers not to show up on this show!" comment seems to act like the writer here or fans in general know more about the situation than the actual people working at Marvel Studios.

I'm sure the idea of having the Avengers guest star on Agents of SHIELD or vice versa has been proposed. They're not idiots. They realize "This week, Chris Evans guest stars as Captain America!" would be a huge promotional coup. Obviously, for whatever reason it simply isn't feasible.