Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default First Look at DC Comics' 12-Hardcover "Watchmen" Box Set

Each issue of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's seminal comic classic will be bound as a standalone hardcover.

Full article here.

BANNED

So, if I'm understanding this correctly . . . It's $125 dollars for exactly the same content found in the original publication? Meaning that you actually end up getting less content than you would from ordering the still in print TPB or the deluxe HC edition from Amazon at a fraction of the cost?

I'm holding out for the every page is an etched stone tablet edition.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Yeah, this release seems kind of pointless. I think I'll stick with my deluxe edition.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Im not made of money, you know?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Yeah, this release seems kind of pointless. I think I'll stick with my deluxe edition.
    Not pointless, they're simply keeping it in print so the rights never go back to Moore (if that is still a thing).
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

The deluxe edition IS in print........as is the regular trade

BANNED

How is this logic any different than someone needing a hardcover instead of a trade?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    How is this logic any different than someone needing a hardcover instead of a trade?
    Because the usual price difference between a trade and a hardcover (with the same content) is about 5-to-10 bucks, not $100+. (And "need" has nothing to do with it.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Because the usual price difference between a trade and a hardcover (with the same content) is about 5-to-10 bucks, not $100+. (And "need" has nothing to do with it.)
    Well, that's kinda my point, "need" is irrelevant. If there are people who think this format is cool, then they will get it, regardless of whether there are other ways to get the content.

this is specifically for collectors so if you think it is pointless then you are not the market. I have the Hardcover and the trade and now I will have this

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyX View Post
    I'm holding out for the every page is an etched stone tablet edition.
    Or even better, the every page is a 3-D pop-up edition.

Hmm.... I really like the presentation but not sure if it's worth the price. I will have to think about this one pretty seriously. Especially since I am already buying DK3 in the same format.
    Pull List: Everything DC. Plus the all of the X-Men books, Deadpool, Invincible, The Walking Dead, and various other titles I can't think of at the moment.

Some people buy a series of trades, others prefer the Omnibus format. This is just another option for the Watchmen collector who may be interested in what sounds like a pretty cool, unique option. Sounds cool. I'm good with my versions though.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    this is specifically for collectors so if you think it is pointless then you are not the market. I have the Hardcover and the trade and now I will have this
    There's "pointless" because it's a re-issue with no new content, but it's rewrapped in cool new packaging (which I guess some could argue this is), but I think this is "pointless" because it makes the product actively worse. I'm not a fan of hardcover books anyway, but at least with a collected work it's one sturdy volume; an individual issue of a comic book in hardcover format seems unwieldy - I have trouble imagining reading anything where the covers are thicker than the pages inside. But that aside, I am a fan of books in general, and I enjoy a good spine as much as anyone... and this is not a good spine. Altogether, the picture isn't that interesting, the individual issues look like crap, it'll look totally out of place on a shelf with a bunch of other trades, and it doesn't even work in the name or the title, so it fails at even the most basic function of being the informative edge of a book! And on top of that, the overall color... is white? Not yellow, or even black? I think the only thing that could make this worse, at least for me, is if the actual pages were printed on the original newsprint paper.

But, then, the guy's right. If I don't like it then it's obviously not marketed at me... but still.