Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    Reed and Sue are considered "iconic" and healthy?

The first panel, I have no idea where this comes from, but for the second, this was from a What If? issue where Susan Richards Jr. possessed everyone but Franklin and began killing everyone before Franklin got Doom involved to stop her from sucking the life energy out of everyone. Doom was promptly killed and Franklin sealed her in the Negative Zone. Yeah, Reed here was possessed by a demon from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    People think Jean's best moment is cheering on her boyfriend in a fight in some meaningless junk that is aping the cartoon?

Wow. I really am alone here lol
    haha
    i cant hardly call this comic a updating on the couple.
    At least Scott should be more like this than the man angsty pit he actually is on comics.

I know this scene is considered one of the most beloved Scott and Jean scenes, but it wasn't supposed to get the reaction it did, IMO.

In the entirety of the Dark Phoenix Saga, Professor X and Cyclops constantly fret over Jean's growing powers. They had trouble trusting a woman with such great power, and it ended up blowing up in their faces, literally.

In this scene Jean is asserting power over Cyclops and neutralizes his powers, and he's not in the moment with that kiss because he can't believe Jean can control all that power (unlike him)!!! While their trust may have evolved later in their relationship, this is an indictment on Cyclops and how he viewed her and her powers in their earlier years of their relationship.
    yep. Scott and Xavier did a very bad job when jean started manifest phoenix powers
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-21-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Very good article,thank you for this!
    You're very welcome! I'm still very proud of this piece and it remains my favorite PopMatters review to date.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    People think Jean's best moment is cheering on her boyfriend in a fight in some meaningless junk that is aping the cartoon?

Wow. I really am alone here lol
    lol, no one thinks that's her "best moment" - it was just a nice little line in a nice little comic.

I know this scene is considered one of the most beloved Scott and Jean scenes, but it wasn't supposed to get the reaction it did, IMO.

In the entirety of the Dark Phoenix Saga, Professor X and Cyclops constantly fret over Jean's growing powers. They had trouble trusting a woman with such great power, and it ended up blowing up in their faces, literally.

In this scene Jean is asserting power over Cyclops and neutralizes his powers, and he's not in the moment with that kiss because he can't believe Jean can control all that power (unlike him)!!! While their trust may have evolved later in their relationship, this is an indictment on Cyclops and how he viewed her and her powers in their earlier years of their relationship.
    No comment on the Reed/Sue stuff, I don't have the context for any of that.

I won't speculate about Xavier's motives, but Scott? He didn't have trouble with Jean's powers because she's a woman - it was because she's the woman he loves. Such a sudden and vast increase in power should be disconcerting no matter who it is that's getting stronger.

Scott can't control his power - that's what the visor is for. He isn't judging Jean in a vacuum, he knows what she was capable of before and the vast increase from that is staggering, she's manifesting abilities that outclass anything any of them have seen before. He'd have a tough time believing anyone could control his power, it's not solely because it's Jean.