Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    Both of your examples aren't vapid, superficial re-inventions of existing characters though. Now, I have no problems with Duke or Harper--if anything I welcome them since they are new and original. But estranging the Joker and Harley Quinn simply because you cannot come up with fresh, exciting, engaging stories where they're together (or because their relationship offends the sensibilities of your audience) is where I draw the line, so to speak. That's when it's simply a matter of imagination. Talk about fan mentality; people can't even witness one fictional female character being defeated or intimidated by a incidentally male character without boycotting the entire comic or, worse, demanding change.
    I fail to see how people liking this version of Harley and it being commercially successful hurts anyone.

I'm a big fan of the nu52 Harley, the character has grown past the Joker obsessed bimbo she was in the animated series. I can understand why people are baffled since the character doesn't fit into any set archetypes but the reason Harley is so popular is because a her book is fun to read it refreshing reading something more light and wacky, I mean have you read any of her nu52 series? I find most people who start these threads have never read the series.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the nu52 Harley, the character has grown past the Joker obsessed bimbo she was in the animated series.
    I wish I had stopped reading after this sentence . . . .

New Harley is nothing more than a meme. She's no where near as enjoyable, or complex as her original incarnation. She's approaching mary-sue levels.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the nu52 Harley, the character has grown past the Joker obsessed bimbo she was in the animated series. I can understand why people are baffled since the character doesn't fit into any set archetypes but the reason Harley is so popular is because a her book is fun to read it refreshing reading something more light and wacky, I mean have you read any of her nu52 series? I find most people who start these threads have never read the series.
    I assume most people on this forum don't read her book. There's usually never any discussion about it or her most of the time so its fine for people to question why she's so popular.
    Its like some parent wondering why his kids like Harry Potter or Hunger Games so much.
    You get the sense that a lot of people had eyes on her at the start of the new 52 didn't like what they saw and then just gave up on her. Now we have a much more fun version of the character again and people are still hung up on her look.

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Her popularity began with the animated series, which reached far more people than the video games. A lot is down to Paul Dini's writing, the character design, and Arlene Sorkin's wonderful vocal performance. Everything else follows from that.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiSentinel View Post
    But that's Catwoman . . . not Harley. Harley is supposed to be incompetent, even when it comes to seduction.
    He said sexy, not seductive. It's not quite the same thing.

But that's Catwoman . . . not Harley. Harley is supposed to be incompetent, even when it comes to seduction.
    Not really. Batman:TAS which she originated from showed she was smarter than she let on.

Not because I hate Harley, but because Selina/Catwoman is spat on left and right by DC.
    How is any of that Harley's fault?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-09-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

There is a non-conformist strain to the millennial comic crew these days, though this is just a guess, I think her popularity is drawn from the same place that Deadpool's comes from. It might be something I because of my age can't see that has been tapped into or it could just be trendy. Ala Spider Gwen who was crazily popular before the character was even fleshed out yet. Maybe it is just a character design that captures the imagination. I remember Quesada's design for Azrael, I thought it was so cool in the free DC preview that I bought the mini and was therefore on board for the Knightfall saga from the beginning. Which lead through every issue of O'Neil's Azrael book. If I am completely honest if dealing with people who come into comics at a very early age why do we gravitate to the characters that we do? Sometimes it is the costume, sometimes it is the type of stories sci-fi as opposed to westerns as opposed to war books.

I read Suicide Squad for Harley until I reached my limit with her Nu52 characterization. I gave her new solo book a shot. So yeah, I did attempt to read her books. I just don't like them or Nu Harley.

Why is HQ Popular now?

Sex and Girl Power.

Nuff said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I assume most people on this forum don't read her book. There's usually never any discussion about it or her most of the time so its fine for people to question why she's so popular.
    Its like some parent wondering why his kids like Harry Potter or Hunger Games so much.
    You get the sense that a lot of people had eyes on her at the start of the new 52 didn't like what they saw and then just gave up on her. Now we have a much more fun version of the character again and people are still hung up on her look.
    Since HQ is one of DC's best selling characters at the moment, I'm shocked by how many people on the boards hate her. Really shows how much of a vocal minority we are, even though I like New 52 Harley as well as BTAS/Pre-Flashpoint Harley.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not really. Batman:TAS which she originated from showed she was smarter than she let on.

How is any of that Harley's fault?
    BTAS clearly depicted her as incompetent, though she was able to exploit Batman's arrogance when dealing with her.

I never said it was Harley's fault. In fact, I even explained myself in the quote you pulled from my comment.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kolimar View Post
    He said sexy, not seductive. It's not quite the same thing.
    You're right.

BTAS clearly depicted her as incompetent, though she was able to exploit Batman's arrogance when dealing with her.
    Which an incompetent person would never be able to do. Bruce even admitted she came closer to killing him than the Joker ever did.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Harley is proof positive that you really can't control which character become popular. Editorial has spent a lot of time and effort trying to sell fans on certain characters, but Harley was popular from the jump pretty much.