Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Harley is proof that a lot comic readers are getting tired of the same old tropes re-hashed over and over again.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Which an incompetent person would never be able to do. Bruce even admitted she came closer to killing him than the Joker ever did.
    Not true. Even a broken clock is right sometimes. Batman was easily able to escape that situation by manipulating Harley's mind.

Interesting article talking about Harley's popularity with DC top brass
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/harle...ide-squad.html
    So you do see that DC has reasons and motivations for what characters get a push
    Comics that feature Harley on the cover or in the issue see a bump in sales, variants that feature her sell out or receive a bump in sales, merchandise sells like hotcakes,etc

Amazing how much things have changed since 2011
    DC went from not wanting Harley in suicide squad and thinking it was stupid to her basically being a pillar of their publishing arm.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Interesting article talking about Harley's popularity with DC top brass
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/harle...ide-squad.html
    So you do see that DC has reasons and motivations for what characters get a push
    Comics that feature Harley on the cover or in the issue see a bump in sales, variants that feature her sell out or receive a bump in sales, merchandise sells like hotcakes,etc

Amazing how much things have changed since 2011
    DC went from not wanting Harley in suicide squad and thinking it was stupid to her basically being a pillar of their publishing arm.
    To be fair, DC is rather stupid with its marketing. Just look at what happened to Catwoman. They refused to push her, and her sales crumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiSentinel View Post
    To be fair, DC is rather stupid with its marketing. Just look at what happened to Catwoman. They refused to push her, and her sales crumbled.
    If there is one character DC has really not pushed who I think could really break out is Dick Grayson.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    If there is one character DC has really not pushed who I think could really break out is Dick Grayson.
    Seriously? Isn't he one of the most popular characters?

Nightwing gets pushed he just isn't operating at the level of popularity for a character where DC will take notice.
    I mean its not even an issue of him breaking out as a character. Dick Grayson is featured in all DC games and almost all their batman animated movies,cartoons, etc
    There is not exactly a lack of Dick Grayson whereas if you compare him to Harley she wasn't given anything to build upon until recently with the suicide squad role.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiSentinel View Post
    Seriously? Isn't he one of the most popular characters?
    Comic wise, yes. But outside of that he hasn't been featured in anything that is solely focused on him. Everything he's usually featured in is usually always as a side character. One could argue Damian is getting a bigger focus then him as it stands now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Nightwing gets pushed he just isn't operating at the level of popularity for a character where DC will take notice.
    I mean its not even an issue of him breaking out as a character. Dick Grayson is featured in all DC games and almost all their batman animated movies,cartoons, etc
    There is not exactly a lack of Dick Grayson whereas if you compare him to Harley she wasn't given anything to build upon until recently with the suicide squad role.
    Some good points here as well. But as I said in my other post he hasn't been the main focus in any of those, only as a side character.

BANNED

I don't know why THIS VERSION Of Harley Quinn is popular. I mean no disrespect to the current Creative team of Harley Quinn, I cannot get behind this new 52 version who is a bit more crazier than what she originally was by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I don't know why THIS VERSION Of Harley Quinn is popular. I mean no disrespect to the current Creative team of Harley Quinn, I cannot get behind this new 52 version who is a bit more crazier than what she originally was by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm.
    Agreed. I loved the original Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Because the teenaged girls/young women who support the current Harley were infants back then. It's ancient history and has no relevance to them. Someone earlier put it best when they said she's basically Tank Girl. Cosplayers love her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Because the teenaged girls/young women who support the current Harley were infants back then. It's ancient history and has no relevance to them. Someone earlier put it best when they said she's basically Tank Girl. Cosplayers love her.
    I am getting some very smelly "fake geek girl" gatekeeper vibes from this post. We don't need that, the hobby is tiny enough as it is.

BANNED

Harley is popular becuase she is an original creation. She is a female Joke, but they didn't gender swap. They created an original character. When people that are not fans come into a hobby and say crap like we might like this stuff if it was more to our agenda, then they are not fans.

I predict that history will look back at this period as a dark, bland, unoriginal, pandering cluster ^%$#@! time in comics.

And if all these hipsters and females are such a large demographic (they are NOT!) EXPLAIN to me why feminist ghost busters failed? Where were all these feminsts? Where were all these hipsters? Why did they not support this film?

If these feminists and hipsters are such a large demographic (they are NOT!) then WHY did DC abandon the OMG! its the Nu52? DC doing this (abandonong the OMG! its the Nu52!!!!!) is an admission that it was an abysmal FAILURE!

More and more, I see new fans collecting the back issues and appreaciating the history of comics. I do not see these hipsters and feminsts at all, other than flapping their gums. They spent no money, do not attend concs (other than to halloween play) which dealers HATE because they take up space, clog isles, and spent NO money on back issues Which proves they are not fans. They are attention seekers, nothing more.

In fact, the NY comic con has already addressed this issue. Halloween people are not allowed to stop in the middle of an isle and clog up everything for the sake of their vainity. They have an area where the attention seekers can pose (Poseurs? LOL)for pics.
    Last edited by Falcon7; 08-15-2016 at 08:33 AM.