Thread: Leto Joker

Default Leto Joker

He killed it.
    I knew he would
    Was def an original live action take.
    Want to see more, much more
    Is it 2019 yet?
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

I want to see both these versions of Harley and Joker in the new Batman movie. They nailed it on the freaking head. Now, the rest of the movie, that's a whole other story (and a very, very boring one). But these two were spot-on. Since Joker didn't have too much screen time, I was a tad more impressed with Robbie as Quinn, as I had more to appreciate. But he was still pretty damn amazing. The movie actually made the relationship feel real, feel electric, feel unhealthy and yet addictive. It was intoxicating, in short (no pun intended). Quinn was perfect amounts of cruel, sadistic, colorful, vulnerable, manipulative, and I clapped at the helicopter scene. Loved them.
    Last edited by Unfinishedsentenc; 08-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is encouraging. I've been hearing some pretty bad things about him, but that might be mainly due to all of his scenes revolving around Harley and several of those being cut/trimmed down from the theatrical release. Also, people are still so hung up on Ledger (with good reason, tbf) that they may not be giving Leto a fair shake.

I will reserve judgment until late tomorrow after I see it, but I'm hoping we can see these two crazy kids again in Affleck's movie.

I'll wait until the batman solo movie to make my remarks on Jared's Joker but yes Margot as Harley was one of the best parts of suicide squad (not that there was many).

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    I want to see both these versions of Harley and Joker in the new Batman movie. They nailed it on the freaking head. Now, the rest of the movie, that's a whole other story (and a very, very boring one). But these two were spot-on. Since Joker didn't have too much screen time, I was a tad more impressed with Robbie as Quinn, as I had more to appreciate. But he was still pretty damn amazing. The movie actually made the relationship feel real, feel electric, feel unhealthy and yet addictive. It was intoxicating, in short (no pun intended). Quinn was perfect amounts of cruel, sadistic, colorful, vulnerable, manipulative, and I clapped at the helicopter scene. Loved them.
    I couldn't agree more. I felt for the first time ever that joker loved harley. He just came and destroyed shit to get his girl. It was damn romantic.

In my dream world, the affleck Batman solo film will predominantly feature Leto joker as the villain. And apparently Jared Leto is down too. Maybe the Jason Todd story? Keep it personal. Not take over Gotham type shit. Regardless I loved them both here

I thought he was pretty terrible TBH. I don't actually blame Leto. I think he had the face, the voice and the laughs down.However, the script didn't give him anything interesting to say or do!

Nicholson's Joker played up the 'evil clown' angle, with the killer joy buzzer and balloons etc; while Ledger's Joker pushed that whole 'agent of chaos/master planner' angle.
    But Leto's Joker was just a generic thug in vaguely Joker-style make-up. He didn't say anything clever or interesting, and his only plan in the movie was to - repeatedly - turn up with a bunch of masked goons and shoot people. In action, he was no different than the generic bad guy of a Fast & Furious movie. He had no kind of Joker-style master plan or philosophical bent or anything really to distinguish him.

Hopefully with a better script Leto will deliver in the upcoming Batman movie. But as of now, the DCEU is 0 for 2 with its villains. A pathetic Lex Luthor and a boring Joker. (0 for 3 if you count an incompetent Amanda Waller)

His plan was to disable the nanobomb and rescue Harley.

I kinda agree with u still. This was like the single before the full length album.

The movie felt like a live adaption of Assault on Arkham. And that's awesome because I love that jawn.

Spectacular Member

I'm glad some people liked his Joker. I didn't. I felt annoyed every time he showed up on screen. I just couldn't buy it. Honestly, you could have replaced the Joker with just about any other villain and told the same story with Harley, just not Harley's origin story. Such as Poison Ivy, could have replaced Joker. But to each his own, I'm glad others found enjoyment out of his portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    I'm glad some people liked his Joker. I didn't. I felt annoyed every time he showed up on screen. I just couldn't buy it. Honestly, you could have replaced the Joker with just about any other villain and told the same story with Harley, just not Harley's origin story. Such as Poison Ivy, could have replaced Joker. But to each his own, I'm glad others found enjoyment out of his portrayal.
    Wow, I felt the exact opposite. I was drawn to the screen when he came on. Eating my popcorn like I couldn't look away. He has that magnetism to me.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    Same here, imo this Joker and the movie itself were simply disappointing.
    I detest his blind love for Harley, I dislike how shallow he is as a character(Eccentric gangbanger) and his acting resemble the witch in Troll 2.
    I thought Leto's Joker would be Morrison like Joker, you know a Slasher/horror monstrous killer, I thought wrong.
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Didn't see the movie yet but everything I've seen from trailers and teasers is terrible. This 'Death Metal/Hot Topic' take on the DC Universe can't die quick enough.

Mighty Member

So the Batman solo film Affleck 's starring in will be Joker and Harley making'g Bat's life a nightmare no doubt.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I have to agree with you OP. Leto knocked out of the park with the role, although he was very little in the film he stole the scene every single time. And there was something really unsettling on his performance that totally sold me on the idea this is the same guy that murdered Robin and then desecreated his uniform/corpse just to get at Batman. Joker also being genuinely in love with Harley was an interesting angle to take with the character and one with a ton of potential.

Definitely looking forward for Leto and Affleck working together in, hopefully, the Batman solo movie.

I dug how he's got a sort of rockstar angle about him, how he struts everywhere like he owns the place which works with him being somewhat of a club owner/gangster. I also found him being pretty disturbing with how he's got the mood swings and a sort of disturbing, sexual energy about him. Like the scene where he gets in Griggs' face was really uncomfortable to watch.