Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Preview: ACTION COMICS #961

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articl...1/1100-155913/

SUPERWOMAN!

Also, Action has to be one of the best looking books in this Rebirth.

What? One moment... is the same week of the first chapter of superwoman...but... no preview, for the moment...

PROPAGANDA of this comic..
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-05-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Yep. Superwoman #1 is also next week.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well, I'm kinda hoping the fight finishes with all these characters around.

BANNED

nice to see a superwoman cameo.

segovia art is top

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

This looks great and I liked the Superwoman cameo. Looking forward to this one and to Superwoman as well.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Stephen Segovia's art has really given me back some enthusiasm for this issue. He should really be the main back up artist in my opinion.

My big hope is that Patrick Zircher is getting a leg up on the next arc focusing on Clark. For me, the arc after this one is gonna be the real test to see if I continue to buy this book or not. This first arc has just been so hard to get through with how often characters repeat themselves and make such little progression. A story this long should have have like 5 or 6 spinning plates (or at least more interesting ones that aren't just hinted at) that keep your attention and keep the main fight from just being two static images hit one another.

Lol oh goodness that quickly turned into a little rant, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Stephen Segovia's art has really given me back some enthusiasm for this issue. He should really be the main back up artist in my opinion.

My big hope is that Patrick Zircher is getting a leg up on the next arc focusing on Clark. For me, the arc after this one is gonna be the real test to see if I continue to buy this book or not. This first arc has just been so hard to get through with how often characters repeat themselves and make such little progression. A story this long should have have like 5 or 6 spinning plates (or at least more interesting ones that aren't just hinted at) that keep your attention and keep the main fight from just being two static images hit one another.

I agree, but for the most part it's been enjoyable and it seeming like the updates for the line will happen here so I'm sticking with it.

I hope, that Superwoman will help Superman and Wonder Woman in the fight against Doomsday and not be limited to only a cameo.
    Hope, that this time Wonder Woman will fight longer, than two minutes. And will not be knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Hasn't this been the case for most of the Doomsday's story arcs?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Hasn't this been the case for most of the Doomsday's story arcs?
    Yeah basically. The feel of a Doomsday story arc is not something writers should be trying to recapture.

This would've been a lot more fun if the Metropolis fights for Lex and Superman and Superman and Doomsday had only been one issue each. It would be a lot more fun if Lois and Jon had something to do away from Superman. It would've been more fun if the narration was less repetitive or at least minimized (how may times can Superman start a narration going like "Doomsday bla bla bla he's not the same but he is the same I have to stop" Yeah Superman I've gathered that much, thank you)

Maybe if they would've made it more of a buddy cop adventure between Superman and Lex as they go after Doomsday on Earth and in space? Then when the catch up to him Superman does his "Doomsday Protocol." Add in some moments where Lex and Superman have to lean on each other and bam fun story.

Basically Superman Beyond (Morrison) meets Superman Exile. Also some Hunter Prey in there do to the whole "who's hunting who aspect of it"

Maybe even have this new Clark Kent (and Jimmy) follow Lex and Superman somehow. He's almost as tenacious as Lois is so I could see that. Why this needs to be a big boring punch up is beyond me.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.

I think the tone of Action has been great, and lots of things and character moments going on each issue. Had it been a six issue fight scene I agree it would have been boring but he's made each issue very good to great for me. Everyone's voice is pitch perfect. Detective and Green Arrow are the only other books this consistently high level art and story.

The cameo was a great way to say don't miss out on Superwoman, far better than any house add would be.

I'll say I'm never going to be a fan of regular 6 part stories, but I'm not sure Lois and Jon could have had much more to do in a story that's probably only been a couple hours. She serious conversation with her son about the situation she sees on tv, figures out they are in danger and makes a run for it, has a conversation with Diana. I love Lois but her rushing to the fight when she has a kid to think about would be a strange thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the tone of Action has been great, and lots of things and character moments going on each issue. Had it been a six issue fight scene I agree it would have been boring but he's made each issue very good to great for me. Everyone's voice is pitch perfect. Detective and Green Arrow are the only other books this consistently high level art and story.
    Dude more power to you and anyone else who's really digging the book. I'm personally having a blast with the Superman book so I'm not without my fix. My thing is that I think good character (with very dated dialogue, IMO) peppered throughout a long and repetitive fight scene isn't quite enough for me. The reason I'm so into Superman over this book is because it focuses on character yet it's always moving along nicely.

But like I said, I'm giving Jurgens one more arc because Doomsday arcs almost can't help but be the antithesis dynamism and fun. But again, that's just me.

I'll say I'm never going to be a fan of regular 6 part stories, but I'm not sure Lois and Jon could have had much more to do in a story
    This is why I wish the story was structured differently. The buddy cops hunting down a smarter Doomsday angle would've given them time and room to have more to do. I've been reading some Bronze age Superman books and I'm pleasantly surprised by how some of the unrelated subplots where being spun next to the big Superman stuff. Like the Exile or Eradicator arcs. Superman and Lex are off going after Doomsday, and Lois and Jon deal with something else.

Hmm I grew up with the old structure of a plot b plot c plot in each issue but they ran this way because they were 1 in done at most 2 or 3 if you went the Stan Lee rout. I think the writing for trade has changed the feasibility of 20 pages 3 pages 1 page every issue.

Maybe we just disagree about how much goes on. To me just looking at the first issue you have a bank robbery with Jimmy, Lex saves the day, superman has some family time sees Luther wearing his kit tells lois he can't let it slide confronts Luther in Metropolis and Doomsday isn't even till the last page. Hmm maybe it is the 20 page a plot 3 page b plot 1 page c plot...but your right different strokes and all that.

Maybe something of relevance will finally happen in this issue. The Superwoman tease is nice, but I'm not talking about easter eggs, I'm talking about actually moving your plot forward, which hasn't been done an inch since #1. Lex's words are more meta than Jurgens knows. "I heard you the first hundred times, Kent." We've read this for four issues straight, dude. Get moving.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El