Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

What it comes down to is if RT is so irrelevant and wrongheaded, then just ignore it. Throwing a tantrum makes it seem less like Rotten Tomatoes is broken and more like you're too damn sensitive to withstand people saying mean things about a movie you like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    What it comes down to is if RT is so irrelevant and wrongheaded, then just ignore it. Throwing a tantrum makes it seem less like Rotten Tomatoes is broken and more like you're too damn sensitive to withstand people saying mean things about a movie you like.
    I can agree with that. I dont think Transformers fans give a crap about RT or any critic. They just like the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I do agree that people use the aggregate score incorrectly (which in and of itself doesn't reveal the true picture) but I don't blame Rottentomatoes or Metacritic for that as they have other indices to indicate more clearly how a movie has been received.
    agreed. it's hard to blame an algorithm. although it could probably use an adjustment or two. and people need to take more responsibility for their decisions, not let these aggregates rule their lives, and tame their reactions overall.

that goes for people on both sides btw

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont think DC fans are looking for a marvel killer. I just think they are mystified by movies like Cap 1 IM2 and 3 Thor 1 and 2 AOU and others getting way better reviews than a movie like MOS. Not just like a little better. Like way better. Just my thoughts.
    I can understand that but maybe the critics felt those movies were better.

Personally, I don't think Thor 2 and Iron man are better than Man of Steel but I actually prefer the other movies to MOS.

That's just my preference though and doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Exactly.

Lots and lots of people don't even use RT. If people don't like what's on there, I think it's better ignore it.

Earlier this summer, X-men Apocalypse got mixed reviews but some reviewers I agree with gave it good reviews and I watched it and I loved it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I can understand that but maybe the critics felt those movies were better.

Personally, I don't think Thor 2 and Iron man are better than Man of Steel but I actually prefer the other movies to MOS.

That's just my preference though and doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of things.
    Yea. I dont know. I like what I like. I mean Watchmen got 65% on RT. I love that movie. Think its one of the best cbms of all time. Means nothing except to me.

Amazing Member

Maybe I'm just old, but I have to ask: who gives a crap?

One of my favorite movies is Flash Gordon which most people would probably deride as over-produced schlock. Doesn't take away my enjoyment of it.

Going by what they say in the media, everyone's going nuts over Game of Thrones. I saw a couple episodes, couldn't get into it, but I'm not going to call anyone an idiot because they like it.

All that bitching about Michael Bay's TMNT or Transformers? Didn't bother me. You have the old G1 episodes somewhere, and the later movies don't change them. (Though looking at them now, good GOD were they hokey!)

So some people don't like what they like. Big deal.

You're not allowed to like something unless your opinion is constantly validated.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Maybe I'm just old, but I have to ask: who gives a crap?

One of my favorite movies is Flash Gordon which most people would probably deride as over-produced schlock. Doesn't take away my enjoyment of it.

Going by what they say in the media, everyone's going nuts over Game of Thrones. I saw a couple episodes, couldn't get into it, but I'm not going to call anyone an idiot because they like it.

All that bitching about Michael Bay's TMNT or Transformers? Didn't bother me. You have the old G1 episodes somewhere, and the later movies don't change them. (Though looking at them now, good GOD were they hokey!)

So some people don't like what they like. Big deal.
    Ya i feel the same way bout walking dead. I would go on the dead board here and be like what the hell do you guys see in this show. Then I just said, well they like it I dont. And the critics like it, and the whole time I am thinking ok i dont get it. I just gave up lol.

Fantastic Member

Can solve this clash very easily.

People have to stop referring to this "war" as between Marvel and DC. It is not. It is between Marvel Studios and Warner Bros. Studios. DC does not have a separate production company. It is just a brand.

That way, a person can say "I love the DC brand and their characters. I don't like how Warner Bros. handles them." If more people said that, then this mobbish attitude would be much less.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ya i feel the same way bout walking dead. I would go on the dead board here and be like what the hell do you guys see in this show. Then I just said, well they like it I dont. And the critics like it, and the whole time I am thinking ok i dont get it. I just gave up lol.
    Exactly.

I stopped watching Walking Dead a long time ago.

I honestly don't care if people like it or critics praise it, it's just a pretty boring to me.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I guess I thought almost all comics fans had moved past Marvel Vs. D.C. tribalism and moved on to reading whatever they like from the big two, Image, Dark Horse and even small indies. I am sad to realize I am wrong about this.
    Those who can't get past it have a sad and desperate need for validation of who they are.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    While there are legitimate issues that need to be addressed, race, gender equality chief among them,
    Addressed how?
    I don't think these things should be addressed as much as they are.
    What we're getting these days, in Marvel Comics for example, is this kinda forced social engineering where every character has to be a minority for the sake of it and then we get discrimination in the other direction, which if you speak up against you are labeled a racist.
    Not cool.

There is no "discrimination in the other direction".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    there actually is a major flaw with aggregate sites in that general reliance on them has focused completely on the aggregate score.

it used to be that people were forced to actually read reviews (positive or negative) rather than look up the sum total. and the benefit there was that the reviewer got to shine as a wordsmith, and the audience was able to appreciate the nuance of the actual review.

more often than not, even poor reviews have many good things to say about the topic and vice versa. but you would never know it just looking at the aggregate score.

and lets face it -- most people are only concerned with the aggregate score rather than sift through any reviews in total, no matter how much they might protest otherwise.

does the critic system need an honest and objective overhaul? probably. will it happen anytime soon? doubtful.

is it ok to suggest people are disturbed for taking issue with the system, or noticing a bias in reviews? absolutely not.
    If anything you said was true then these sites would have never become as popular as they are. What is actually happening is that in this information age no one wants to waste much time with Nuance. They want a score they can easily read and understand. These sites are going nowhere.