Mighty Member

Default EVIL Heroes (anyone reading it)

Is anybody reading the "E.V.I.L. Heroes" series? Is anybody familiar with Brusha's work?

I flipped through the first issue this week. The concept seems to be "evil Justice League character wrecking stuff". The execution seems to be aiming a little lower than Ennis (less shock value, and less articulate, probably about as little to say).

I could be wrong about this. Anybody else reading this series? Is it worth another look?

Mighty Member

I read the first two issues this week.

This series could go either way. On the one hand, it is definitely drawing on the idea of "superheroes as a pantheon", and could be trying to be a "man v/s superman" story. Or, it could just be "evil Justice League up to no good". I am leaning towards the latter. But, the fact that this is a limited series makes me a little more forgiving. (If it is better than I am expecting it to be, great. If not, it is over and done in a few more months.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

Just read issue 3 over the weekend.

It is a sloppy fight issue. The art and writing never quite mesh. It is not impossible to follow, but it is definitely rougher than it should be. (Indie comics ain't supposed to be like that any more.)

As has been the case since the first issue, this series still reads like the brainstorming of a few high-school students who fell in love with the idea of an evil Justice League before falling down a rabbit hole of "and then this happens and then..." plotting in detail with no real plan.

Dropping this series next time I go to the comic shop.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Just read issue 3 over the weekend.

It is a sloppy fight issue. The art and writing never quite mesh. It is not impossible to follow, but it is definitely rougher than it should be. (Indie comics ain't supposed to be like that any more.)

As has been the case since the first issue, this series still reads like the brainstorming of a few high-school students who fell in love with the idea of an evil Justice League before falling down a rabbit hole of "and then this happens and then..." plotting in detail with no real plan.

Dropping this series next time I go to the comic shop.
    Hmmm that's a shame to hear. I wasn't reading this since I tend to avoid anything superhero-related lately, but the premise sounds decent so it's too bad they couldn't deliver on it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mighty Member

If you find Avatar Press' "God is Dead" to be a little too highbrow, then this might be a good bet.

In real terms, the core concept was not bad, conflating mythological gods with heroes and pitting people against them. But, the execution is lacking, especially given how well the idea has been handled elsewhere.