All-New Member

Default Difference between Batman: death of the family and Batman: a death in the family?

And what should I read before reading them?Sorry if this have already been asked I am a new member and this is my first post.

Batman: A Death in the Family is late 80s story that involved the death of Jason Todd, the second Robin, at the hand's of the Joker.

Batman: Death of the Family is part of the recently concluded New 52 run of Batman involving the Joker attacking Batman and all of his allies(Nightwing, Batgirl, all the various Robins, etc.).

Neither book has anything to do with each other, but if you read Death of the Family, make sure to read the first to parts before it (Court of Owls/City of the Owls).

All-New Member

Thank you.Anything to read before Court of Owls?And anything after death of the family?

Nothing before Court of Owls, that's the starting place for New 52 Batman. After Death of the Family is Zero Year(which takes place when Batman first starts being Batman), Endgame, and then Superheavy. If your reading by trades Court of Owls/City of Owls are Vol 1 and 2, Death of the Family is Vol 3, and then the rest collect both the main stories and the annuals/shorter stories and one offs(for example, vol 5 and 6 are the Zero Year story, while vol 6 has some of the Annuals and a few of issues that didn't make into any of the previous stories).
    Last edited by Panfoot; 08-06-2016 at 12:38 PM.

All-New Member

Awesome,thankyou so much for all your help

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The difference is both are bad Battales but one of them has nice art (hint: its not the one written by Jim Starlin)