Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    Wait till she discovers Avengers 200.
    look at the cover, Marvel isnt going giver anything older than a few years.

All-New Member

Well, the run she's reading is generally well regarded though it DID bore me quickly when I tried to read it.

Never read anything else on Carol Danvers.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I wonder if Carol will harness her power with alcohol, right off?
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Was Ms. Marvel 2006 any good? I read some Captain Marvel stuff, like 2015 I think. It was OK then died cuz of Secret Wars. Not sure how her current run is.
    Superhero shows are trash

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Was Ms. Marvel 2006 any good? I read some Captain Marvel stuff, like 2015 I think. It was OK then died cuz of Secret Wars. Not sure how her current run is.
    Marvel continues to relaunch and relaunch Carol's books. None of them have hit pay dirt yet. I've good things about Brian Reed's 2006 Ms Marvel series. Reed really got Carol, but the only thing that brought the book down was the book being sidetracked by whatever event Marvel was doing at the time. Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, etc.

I'm thinking that she'll be focusing on stuff from the last few years, if she reads anything at all. (not being cynical, I just can't imagine a ton of research being done and honestly, the cinematic versions of these folks usually end up being markedly different from their comic versions).

However, assuming she's motivated to go deeper (and I hope she is), I'd have her read AVENGERS ANNUAL #10, and Busiek's stuff on her from his AVENGERS run. I really like the Carol Danvers character; I just hope the movie gets to her core, and isn't afraid to make her fallible.

Gotta love that dedication. Brie Larson is well on her way to endearing herself to Captain Marvel fans everywhere.

I sincerely hope that her movie includes Star Wars references. In the comics, being a Star Wars fan is one of Carol's many endearing qualities. They're both under the Disney banner so why not?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

It's a nice nod to the fans but that's it. Her reading Captain Marvel comics doesn't really mean anything. And that jacket looks like crap. Something styled after the black costume would probably look better. I just hope she enjoys the comics and becomes a real comic book fan.

Niffleheim

KSD? The boring Carol. Wow! I hope she's just showing off for the fans and the script will have nothing to do with KSD run, well other than the Captain Marvel name.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    KSD? The boring Carol. Wow! I hope she's just showing off for the fans and the script will have nothing to do with KSD run, well other than the Captain Marvel name.
    Given that the Marvel movies take liberally from various sources I don't see why they wouldn't be taking anything from the KSD run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Marvel continues to relaunch and relaunch Carol's books. None of them have hit pay dirt yet. I've good things about Brian Reed's 2006 Ms Marvel series. Reed really got Carol, but the only thing that brought the book down was the book being sidetracked by whatever event Marvel was doing at the time. Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, etc.
    I liked Reed's run right up to the Civil War stuff. Dropped it after that.

Then again, I dropped pretty much every book after Civil War for a bit. Life stuff got in the way!

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

I mean, if she's readig it for research, it's for Carol's characterisation... and that arc was NOT good in that regard. Deconnick's first Captain Marvel series did a good job at that, the second was like Deconnick stopped caring, so she decided to write about Carol's cat.

Also, I see we're going to continue to pretend all the Ms. Marvel comics don't exist.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Barbarian View Post
    I mean, if she's readig it for research, it's for Carol's characterisation... and that arc was NOT good in that regard. Deconnick's first Captain Marvel series did a good job at that, the second was like Deconnick stopped caring, so she decided to write about Carol's cat.

Also, I see we're going to continue to pretend all the Ms. Marvel comics don't exist.
    Carol's characterization in the movie won't have anything to do with anything Larson does or doesn't read in the comics. It'll be determined by what's in the script and how the director chooses to approach the character. As an actor, Larson's job will be to take those two elements and use them as the launch point for her performance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Carol's characterization in the movie won't have anything to do with anything Larson does or doesn't read in the comics. It'll be determined by what's in the script and how the director chooses to approach the character. As an actor, Larson's job will be to take those two elements and use them as the launch point for her performance.
    Not quite.

Actors generally develop back story for characters beyond what's in the text (the script). That's pretty much their job. Comic book characters have the advantage of having so much material to go through that an actor has less to do to create a back story, but does more of a job of editing that back story to flesh out the bare bones that are in the shooting script. Any serious artist will use that comic book material to help develop their back story to fit what's in the script, and the director will encourage that, stepping in to guide that back story to fit into their vision of the script.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Not quite.

Actors generally develop back story for characters beyond what's in the text (the script). That's pretty much their job. Comic book characters have the advantage of having so much material to go through that an actor has less to do to create a back story, but does more of a job of editing that back story to flesh out the bare bones that are in the shooting script. Any serious artist will use that comic book material to help develop their back story to fit what's in the script, and the director will encourage that, stepping in to guide that back story to fit into their vision of the script.
    "Backstory" and "characterization" are two different things.

And whatever backstory Larson may or may not develop for the characters (and not all actors do this, not all the ones who do do it to the same extensive degree, and the ones who don't are not automatically less "serious artists" than the ones who do) will be informed by the specific parameters of the character as she is written in the script and shaped by the directors parameters for the film. For instance, if the film version of the character addresses Carol's early days after first receiving her powers and has her still at a relatively early point in her military carer (both of which seem likely) most of the "backstory" she could derive from reading the recent comics would be irrelevant, as the recent comics all deal with the character at a much later point in life, after she's had experiences that the movie version wouldn't have had yet.

The actual characterization of Carol Danvers--i.e., how she thinks, acts, behaves on screen--will be based on the material in the script, shaped by the director's vision, and interpreted and delivered by the actor. It will not be lifted from the comics unless the writer, director, and producer decide it will be, in which case, again, the bulk of the relevant material will already be incorporated into the script.
    Last edited by kalorama; 08-07-2016 at 06:54 PM.