Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea

Well, I guess, Amazon has spoiled next Hellboy OGN - https://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Into-...dp/1506701434/
    And with long-time friend Gary Gianni on the art! I am really surprised by this "fish", cause I thought they decided to drop this format.

That is glorious news. Mr Gary is so great, this is gonna be utter buffness.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Whoa.

With Gianni's place in Hellboy history this feels most appropriate.

Thinking that this might be taking place when hellboy was lost at sea after the island.

There's a cover image up now!

Into_the_Silent_Sea.jpg

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gruagach View Post
    Thinking that this might be taking place when hellboy was lost at sea after the island.
    First thing I thought too, and man, that's exciting news. The Hellboy at sea stuff just hits me in that sweet spot like nothing else does. And that cover!! With Gianni and Stewart on art duties, this book is gonna be something very special indeed.

Definitely is according to the Amazon blurb...

"Hellboy sets sail from the wreckage of a deserted island only to cross paths with a ghost ship. Taken captive by the phantom crew that plans to sell him to the circus, Hellboy is dragged along by a captain who will stop at nothing in pursuit of a powerful sea creature. Following the events of Hellboy: The Island, Gary Gianni draws Hellboy in an original graphic novel."
    Edit: Hellboy vs Moby Dick perhaps? Or maybe linked with Abe's past - Langdon Caul and Elihu Cavendish (a whaler) replacing Captain Ahab?

No matter what eventually happens story-wise, I love that we are getting more Hellboy like this
    Last edited by timbolton; 08-08-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
    I thought they decided to drop this format.
    I'm glad they didn't, I really like these OGNs. This one sounds as great as the other two. I'll certainly be beautiful. Love the ghost ship idea!

The Claw of Justice!

Look at how awesome that cover is!

Looks amazing. Cannot wait.

looks amazing, a dream team. my one complaint, Gary's work looks better in black and white.
    as good as Dave is, it still hides the lines.

Mighty Member

Great news. Very much looking forward reading this one

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    looks amazing, a dream team. my one complaint, Gary's work looks better in black and white.
    as good as Dave is, it still hides the lines.
    The way I'm reading the press release (https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...phic-nove.html)
    this title is gonna be all black and white, eventhough Dave Stewart embellishes the panels in places so as to direct and effectify the graphical storytelling in full sequence:
    Paste: Longtime HB colorist Dave Stewart returns to the property to slather Gianni’s gothic, maritime visions in haunting grays and blacks.
    I'm assuming this based on the preview pages in which I feel to be seeing Gary Gianni's fabulous linework but also 'embellished' blacks and whites in places.

Like the figure with the lantern standing on the deck, of which the grounding or footing appears embellished. Or the whites in the lantern. I think this way of working hands me the best of both: of both the linework, as well as the type of coloration seeming much in dedication to the art as well as in service of the (graphical) storytelling.

Making me think this title could or would be something quite special. I'm thinking I'll dig it.

EDIT / to add: 'Embellished' not so much by any "slathering stuff" (as how the article chooses to call it), but I guess by really subtly specifying or *further* helping the 'blend space between the lines' as it were, into appearing as either soft grey, or as having stark whites make stark blacks be to pop a whole lot.
    Like as complimenting the art to the utmost once it has come together in full sequence, almost to the effect of steady framerates in a videogame, so as details or broader scopes can alternate, like in concordance with the art as rendered as well as with the reading of it?
    Sort of. Probably there'll be black magic involved as well...
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-15-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: as specified.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

thanks Kees, I think you are right about this book being special.