Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default What Was So Great About the DC Animated Universe? Just About Everything

A decade after "Justice League Unlimited" came to an end, we reflect on the greatness of the DC Animated Universe.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

great article. It was indeed a fabulous time in DC animation.

Mighty Member

While some individual cases are debatable (Sinestro, the Hawks, Hugo Strange, Captain Atom), the DCAU as a whole did a great job distilling comic book canon into something anyone can get into, from young audiences, to older people, and comic book fans as well. Not to mention the effort to link numerous shows to the same continuity is impressive and something that hasn't been replicated since.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Probably a great article, but ruined by the stupid multi click page format CBR has started using.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I loved most of it, they just cared about doing great short stories with solid art. Now you can tell they're aiming for kids with small attention spans.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Kind of ironic how this is basically a blueprint of how the MCU is made up while Warner/DC keeps struggling with adapting the formula in a live action format.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Amazing Member

Not to long ago I watched the whole diniverse for partially the first time ever (i've only watched batman: mask of phantasm and bits and pieces of justice league and batman beyond (I first heard of this whilst on a plane) before than, as I was born right as this particular era of dc animation began. It actually brought me back into comics when I remember how cool it was.

One thing I think they don't give it enough credit for is that for all the fidelity to the comics, they weren't afraid to switch things up or make changes when they felt it'd serve the story. It's funny that so many things people hate modern adaptations for doing were things the DCAU already did themselves.

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

The Legion of Superheroes was a great cartoon. DC missed an opportunity to carry that series into the comics.

Meh. Outside of Batman: TAS, I can leave it all and not care at all. Maybe being older and not growing up with it like a lot of fans did affects me, I don't know, but I just never got the hype. When I got around to finally trying it I just got an "its okay" vibe. And that's not counting the horrific characterizations for two of my favorite characters in Superman and Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-07-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Too bad the main DC comics universe didn't just spawn out of this when they rebooted in 2011.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Steps in a long journey. Newton said that if he'd seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.

The Timm-Verse was great. I love it dearly.

Fleischer's cartoons were great. They were limited, but great, and they laid some of the groundwork for the Timm-Verse (in one of the bonus materials, Timm says they almost picked up the Fleisher cartoons for STAS, and you can clearly see the influence if you watch both).

There were also intermediate steps along the way, like the Super Friends.

If anyone wants to contrast the Timm-Verse with the more sophisticated stuff that came after, just remember, Young Justice and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes could not have happened without a long line starting with "Superman" (aka "The Mad Scientist"), through "Leather Wings", through "Secret Origins", through "Independence Day" and "Iron Man is Born".

Kind of makes you hopeful for what might come next, no?

I still catch JL and JLU on Netflix and also revist Young Justice. DC Animation had some crazy heat, but sadly, IMO they have been going downhill for a while.
    Superhero shows are trash

Amazing Member

Denny O'Neill's Question? I don't recall that character ever showing up. The conspiracy minded Question in JLU was great but a totally different character in tone, theme and personality.

Batman was great, never watched Superman and I loved JLU (JL was ok). I do think as a whole they are some of the best superhero cartoon ever done.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by mmurphy1968 View Post
    Denny O'Neill's Question? I don't recall that character ever showing up. The conspiracy minded Question in JLU was great but a totally different character in tone, theme and personality.

Batman was great, never watched Superman and I loved JLU (JL was ok). I do think as a whole they are some of the best superhero cartoon ever done.
    Justice League Unlimited got me 100% hooked on Wally West's Flash to the point his trades are my most 'valuable' book possessions; also interested in Booster Gold & Blue Beetle, Justice League International, The Question (although I found out from fans the above quote's info before I got into that) and Mr. Miracle/Big Barda....and comic books in general. It was a great cartoon series. Loved the stories even if the art style was not my favorite.

Agreed that the multi-click format for viewing articles is a double thumbs down. Very annoying.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)