Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    All-New Member

I've been trying to figure out different ways to keep a WW initialism. After looking over the alternate Wonder Women list and seeing the genderbent Wonderous Man, why not have Donna use Wonderous Woman or Wondrous Woman? Keeps the WW, very connected to Diana, but a unique modifier.

It's also why I would like Artemis to be Warrior Woman or Wonder Warrior.

What do we think Cassie’s should be?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    What do we think Cassie’s should be?
    Wonder Girl suits Cassie fine.

I’d be into the idea of Amazon-adjacent heroines adopting their own “Amazon Name” that incorporates the horse theme that so many Amazons use.

Hippolyta, Philippus, menalippe...

I know we read them as given names, but what if Themyscira has a distinct culture with its champions taking new names? Artemis is a name, but I’d find the Greek name for “war-horse” like "Polemippis" and use that. Same for Cassie, she’d get a translated Amazon name.

I think Donna would prefer an Anglicized version of the idea, rather than full Themysciran identity.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 10-12-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    She's of an age to outgrow it soon. I don't like forever-legacy-names, and I am fond of grown women moving on from "girl" just as grown men move on from "boy" (except Beast Boy, who I didn't like going back to the name and am annoyed he isn't allowed to grow up). I'd want Cassie and Kon to move away from the Wonder/Super to something more uniquely theirs (just as Dick didn't take a Bat name). While they should remain members of the family, they should get to branch out on their own and not remain subordinate and not have names so derivative that they can never be thought of anything other than a satellite of the original. Like Dick got moved back to after having been really independent and his own man for a while, and I didn't like that. It was, to me, a way he wasn't being allowed to grow up and into his own man, but was being put back in (after outgrowing it) a "junior" role. They should occasionally guest star in the original hero books and vice versa, but not remain supporting characters to them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    She's of an age to outgrow it soon. I don't like forever-legacy-names, and I am fond of grown women moving on from "girl" just as grown men move on from "boy" (except Beast Boy, who I didn't like going back to the name and am annoyed he isn't allowed to grow up). I'd want Cassie and Kon to move away from the Wonder/Super to something more uniquely theirs (just as Dick didn't take a Bat name). While they should remain members of the family, they should get to branch out on their own and not remain subordinate and not have names so derivative that they can never be thought of anything other than a satellite of the original. Like Dick got moved back to after having been really independent and his own man for a while, and I didn't like that. It was, to me, a way he wasn't being allowed to grow up and into his own man, but was being put back in (after outgrowing it) a "junior" role. They should occasionally guest star in the original hero books and vice versa, but not remain supporting characters to them.
    Beast boy is a lost cause

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Okay, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I’d be into the idea of Amazon-adjacent heroines adopting their own “Amazon Name” that incorporates the horse theme that so many Amazons use.

Hippolyta, Philippus, menalippe...

I know we read them as given names, but what if Themyscira has a distinct culture with its champions taking new names? Artemis is a name, but I’d find the Greek name for “war-horse” like "Polemippis" and use that. Same for Cassie, she’d get a translated Amazon name.

I think Donna would prefer an Anglicized version of the idea, rather than full Themysciran identity.

I actually really like this idea, and found myself randomly thinking about it.

I was thinking of something that pays tribute to her parents who fell down in flames, and the adoptive Amazons who took her in.

If the name hasn’t been associated with any other character, I was thinking...Ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I actually really like this idea, and found myself randomly thinking about it.

I was thinking of something that pays tribute to her parents who fell down in flames, and the adoptive Amazons who took her in.

If the name hasn’t been associated with any other character, I was thinking...Ambrosia
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Lorelei_A..._(Donnerverse)

Apparently it's a reasonably common family name IRL.

Amazing Member

Please any other but troia. It means whore in italian

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Lorelei_A..._(Donnerverse)

Apparently it's a reasonably common family name IRL.
    Hmm, ok...what about Emberose, or Emberosia?

Hmm, ok...what about Emberose, or Emberosia?
    Ok, but why would she use those?
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    How common is that in daily usage in Italy? From the research I did earlier...
    In Italian, "Troy" is a foreign word for foreign things. While "Troia"/"Troya"/"Troja" is either a place name or the word for a female pig. Interestingly one of the old Italian noble houses is named Troia and uses a pig as it's coat of arms.

The idea that it's a vulgar term is... well, treating slang as more important than non-slang.

Well, apparently the name Ambrosia means “food of the gods”. I wouldn’t want Donna to refer to herself with a name that’s a god appetizer. That’s where the “Ember” part comes in, to change the meaning to something like fire, or flame of the gods.

Well, apparently the name Ambrosia means “food of the gods”. I wouldn’t want Donna to refer to herself with a name that’s a god appetizer. That’s where the “Ember” part comes in, to change the meaning to something like fire, or flame of the gods.
    OK, but why fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    Of all the arguments against "Troia" this is the weirdest one. It's the original Greek word for Troy. Saying that it's no good because it's a slang word for "whore" in one language is silly and borderline offensive.

I'm not very fond of this codename myself but it's still better than any other suggestion I've seen so far.