Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Its too late, Titans is as mainstram as it gets and she going just as Donna Troy, I dont Mind Troia if she needs a code name, but not much point in pushing it
    She's actually "Wonder Girl" in Titans, at least for the foreseeable future, other than her civilian identity.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I wonder if after the infected stryline she will receive a new codename.

But Warbringer... seems too ominous and villian-like. Dawnbringer maybe?

Wildstar or Darkstar, could be. At least there are connection to those names. Even if there another characters inside DC with those names already. But still, it lacks a myth connection. But "Wonder Woman", as a word, does not have it either .

Why not Troia? Could be better something like Trojan? Dunno.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-22-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Grammar.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yeah the only reason I've seen for why Troia is bad is "it's too much like her actual name."

Maybe it is difficult to pronounce for anglophones.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The other valid reason against Troia seems to be that it's a slur in Italian.

Why not just call her Wonder Woman? She's earned it, and there have been two Batman, there are two Flash's, etc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah the only reason I've seen for why Troia is bad is "it's too much like her actual name."
    The other O5 Teen Titans got adult names that meant something in English and related to their powers and/or appearance: Nightwing, Arsenal, the Flash, and Tempest. Wonder Girl gets one that's not a word in English, is hard to pronounce, and whose only connection to her is to her "real name." (That's either Donna Troy, or the name the Titans of Myth gave her. In current continuity - or, "continuity" - I'm not sure how she winds up with either one of those as a real name.) And it's used to mean "slut" in Italian. I think she got shortchanged - but that's sadly typical.

(Note that I was crazy about "Arsenal," since I imagined all his enemies and half his friends calling him "Arse" for short.)

For the people saying "just go with Donna Troy," I actually see why people go for it after all this time. But I'm trying to think of a successful costumed hero who just goes by their real name. So far I'm just coming up with Zatanna - but that's sort of a fantasy real name. John Constantine is sort of insistently not a costumed superhero - and even then, they called his comic Hellblazer.

I would like to see Donna get a good, solid superhero name. Darkstar was my favorite choice, especially if she's in her starfield costume. But the Controllers' Darkstars are in use in the DCU, so maybe not. (Although there are multiple Flashes, Green Lanterns, and Manhunters.) Dark Angel would be good too, and the (poorly defined) character with that name has no presence in current continuity.

Unfortunately, after all this time, I'm not sure a superhero name - or, for that matter, an origin - would every stick.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not so attached to the Troia name myself but you can't say it fits Cassie the same way it fits the character named Donna Troy. No, I cannot, but that is not what I am saying. Also, you just further show why it is not a good name for her either.

Not to mention that Donna hasn't been a girl in a very long time so calling her Wonder Girl is just infantilizing especially when no one's pushing to have Wally go by Kid Flash or Garth go by Aqualad again.
    It does not really matter if she's been a "girl" or not. She's a "girl" in the sense that she is the Wonder Girl to Wonder Woman. I still use both of those names. It isn't infantilizing in the least since they actually went by those names.

I am willing to change my position on what Cassie's codename should be since she is never canonically referenced as "Troia", but she is never canonically referenced as anything better either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    For the people saying "just go with Donna Troy," I actually see why people go for it after all this time. But I'm trying to think of a successful costumed hero who just goes by their real name. So far I'm just coming up with Zatanna - but that's sort of a fantasy real name. John Constantine is sort of insistently not a costumed superhero - and even then, they called his comic Hellblazer
    I can't think of anyone else from DC but Marvel has plenty: Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Rachel Summers. They recently tried giving Rachel a codename, it didn't stick. I think it'll be the same for Donna, whatever codename they might come up with now just won't sound right

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It does not really matter if she's been a "girl" or not. She's a "girl" in the sense that she is the Wonder Girl to Wonder Woman. I still use both of those names. It isn't infantilizing in the least since they actually went by those names.
    And Donna stopped using that name when she was no longer a girl. So yes, calling her Wonder Girl would be initializing especially since her fellow Titans founders (Dick, Wally, Roy and Garth) aren't using their original code names.

I am willing to change my position on what Cassie's codename should be since she is never canonically referenced as "Troia", but she is never canonically referenced as anything better either.
    If you think the Wonder Girl codename isn't any better, why would you have Donna use it?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2019 at 09:36 PM.

And Donna stopped using that name when she was no longer a girl. So yes, calling her Wonder Girl would be initializing especially since her fellow Titans founders (Dick, Wally, Roy and Garth) aren't using their original code names. No. It isn't, this is not a response to what I just explained to you.

If you think the Wonder Girl codename isn't any better, why would you have Donna use it?
    I never said Wonder Girl isn't any better. Not sure where you got that from.

No. It isn't, this is not a response to what I just explained to you.
    Um, yes it very much is.

You tried to justify Donna being called Wonder Girl again on the basis that she used the name once. I pointed out Donna stopped using that name when she became older. Whether or not you like to call her that is irrelevant to the fact that it is infantilizing to refer to her by a name she stopped using when she was no longer a kid.

I never said Wonder Girl isn't any better. Not sure where you got that from.
    So then what where you talking about when you said this:

Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2019 at 09:58 PM.

You tried to justify Donna being called Wonder Girl again on the basis that she used the name once. This is sort of what I said, but pieces are still missing. Just to be clear, you can call them whatever you want, I’m not personally attacking your preferred names for them.

So then what where you talking about when you said this:
    Well I didn’t say anything about the name “Wonder Girl” in that quote, so I’m not sure how you could confuse it as such.

This is sort of what I said, but pieces are still missing.
    I quoted everything you said. Whatever pieces are missing might not have been said by you in the comment I responded to but everything I listed there is in response to what you wrote.

Well I didn’t say anything about the name “Wonder Girl” in that quote, so I’m not sure how you could confuse it as such.
    You said that she's never been referred to as "anything better canonically". She's been called Wonder Girl, a name you want to use for Donna but not for Cassie. If you don't think the Wonder Girl name is better than Troia, why do you think it would be a good name for Donna?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    The other O5 Teen Titans got adult names that meant something in English and related to their powers and/or appearance: Nightwing, Arsenal, the Flash, and Tempest. Wonder Girl gets one that's not a word in English, is hard to pronounce, and whose only connection to her is to her "real name." (That's either Donna Troy, or the name the Titans of Myth gave her. In current continuity - or, "continuity" - I'm not sure how she winds up with either one of those as a real name.) And it's used to mean "slut" in Italian. I think she got shortchanged - but that's sadly typical.
    Remember than "donna" means woman in italian too. Just to mind.
    (Note that I was crazy about "Arsenal," since I imagined all his enemies and half his friends calling him "Arse" for short.)
    I liked "Arsenal" better than Red Arrow. It stablished than Roy was a different character from Oliver. But alas, he later was demoted.

For the people saying "just go with Donna Troy," I actually see why people go for it after all this time. But I'm trying to think of a successful costumed hero who just goes by their real name. So far I'm just coming up with Zatanna - but that's sort of a fantasy real name. John Constantine is sort of insistently not a costumed superhero - and even then, they called his comic Hellblazer.
    In those cases, the characters had abandoned their hero identities or even they never got one properly. Zatanna always worked using her proper name, and Constantine, well, he havea comic called hellblazer, but he never have a hero codename.

I would like to see Donna get a good, solid superhero name. Darkstar was my favorite choice, especially if she's in her starfield costume. But the Controllers' Darkstars are in use in the DCU, so maybe not. (Although there are multiple Flashes, Green Lanterns, and Manhunters.) Dark Angel would be good too, and the (poorly defined) character with that name has no presence in current continuity.
    To be precise it is not the Darkstars the one in use, but the Blackstars. It is not only the solid superhero name but also the branding of the character. In the case of Donna, it is not only forging a new name but also a directionand brand which could stand and at the same time expand other franchises.

Unfortunately, after all this time, I'm not sure a superhero name - or, for that matter, an origin - would every stick.
    But that's just me.
    Who knows, there are always surprises in life. At this point I think she could be called Lady Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I can't think of anyone else from DC but Marvel has plenty: Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Rachel Summers. They recently tried giving Rachel a codename, it didn't stick. I think it'll be the same for Donna, whatever codename they might come up with now just won't sound right
    All of them have code names. It's just that writers prefer not using them. Kitty used to be called "Shadowcat" regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Remember than "donna" means woman in italian too. Just to mind.
    It gets even better.... I looked it up. "Troy" is actually an Anglicization. "Troia" or "Troya" is the proper transliteration based on Greek pronunciation.

In Italian, "Troy" is a foreign word for foreign things. While "Troia"/"Troya"/"Troja" is either a place name or the word for a female pig. Interestingly one of the old Italian noble houses is named Troia and uses a pig as it's coat of arms.

The idea that it's a vulgar term is... well, treating slang as more important than non-slang.

Also….
    https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Troia
    BWAHAHAHAAHAHAH