Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    All of them have code names. It's just that writers prefer not using them. Kitty used to be called "Shadowcat" regularly.It gets even better.... I looked it up. "Troy" is actually an Anglicization. "Troia" or "Troya" is the proper transliteration based on Greek pronunciation.

In Italian, "Troy" is a foreign word for foreign things. While "Troia"/"Troya"/"Troja" is either a place name or the word for a female pig. Interestingly one of the old Italian noble houses is named Troia and uses a pig as it's coat of arms.

The idea that it's a vulgar term is... well, treating slang as more important than non-slang.

Also….
    https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Troia
    BWAHAHAHAAHAHAH
    Kitty was Sprite, Ariel and then Shadowcat but none of them really stuck, that's why when you look up "Shadowcat" on wikipedia it takes you directly to "Kitty Pryde". Again less is often more, and like "Misty Knight", "Donna Troy" sort of sounds like a code name anyway. You guys are acting as if her name is Donna Horowitz-Silberstein or something.

All of them have code names. It's just that writers prefer not using them. Kitty used to be called "Shadowcat" regularly.
    Well, yeah. That's my point. All of them have codenames but mostly use their actual names. That's why I see no problem with Donna just going by her name, especially since it's such a cool one.

All of them have code names. It's just that writers prefer not using them. Kitty used to be called "Shadowcat" regularly.It gets even better.... I looked it up. "Troy" is actually an Anglicization. "Troia" or "Troya" is the proper transliteration based on Greek pronunciation.

In Italian, "Troy" is a foreign word for foreign things. While "Troia"/"Troya"/"Troja" is either a place name or the word for a female pig. Interestingly one of the old Italian noble houses is named Troia and uses a pig as it's coat of arms.

The idea that it's a vulgar term is... well, treating slang as more important than non-slang.

Also….
    https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Troia
    BWAHAHAHAAHAHAH
    So Donna's name basically means "foreign woman". Seems meaningful enough given than Donna is not from Themyscira like the other Amazons.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Kitty was Sprite, Ariel and then Shadowcat but none of them really stuck, that's why when you look up "Shadowcat" on wikipedia it takes you directly to "Kitty Pryde". Again less is often more, and like "Misty Knight", "Donna Troy" sort of sounds like a code name anyway. You guys are acting as if her name is Donna Horowitz-Silberstein or something.
    Sprite got dropped like a hot potato because the backstory behind why Kitty used that name was a reference to a real-world soft-drink. It's like how Jubilee's distinctive earrings are London Underground logos with the name missing. Back then writers did that sort of stuff. You'd see real world stuff just because the writers felt like it.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ground.svg.png
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120717123425

Ariel was... a phase. Kitty realized naming herself after a brand of soda was dumb, but later decided she didn't like this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So Donna's name basically means "foreign women". Seems meaningful enough given than Donna is not from Themyscira like the other Amazons.
    More like "Woman from Troy". When I said "foreign things" it's mostly being used as a proper noun for the names of cities outside Italy. I think all of the items on the Italian Wikipedia page are considered proper nouns in English.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy

The discussion is possible codenames /cape names / superhero names for Donna Troy, so 'she doesn't need one' isn't really a suggestion... so if that's your answer, don't worry, we heard you.

That's not the game we're playing though.

So far, I'm digging

Victory
    Wildstar
    Ms Wonder
    Wondergirl
    Olympian
    AMAZON
    Darkstar
    Harbinger
    American Amazon
    Amazon Avenger
    Wonder Woman
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Uhm, the only few decent are WW which is Diana's title and Donna would not want to take from her.

"Amazon" only works when one is not part of an Amazon tribe. It is like naming a tree in a group of sentient trees, "Tree". The name could refer to any of them, it is not specific for the being.

Olympian is good for a god/goddess born in Olympus, but that is not Donna.

No, I think we are still a fair pace away from a good Donna code-name......

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Uhm, the only few decent are WW which is Diana's title and Donna would not want to take from her.

"Amazon" only works when one is not part of an Amazon tribe. It is like naming a tree in a group of sentient trees, "Tree". The name could refer to any of them, it is not specific for the being.

Olympian is good for a god/goddess born in Olympus, but that is not Donna.

No, I think we are still a fair pace away from a good Donna code-name......
    More in the vein of calling a Gladiator 'Gladiator' which would actually work as a code name for a different character.

You also forgot to add 'IMO.'

I also like Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    More in the vein of calling a Gladiator 'Gladiator' which would actually work as a code name for a different character.

You also forgot to add 'IMO.'

I also like Champion.
    I never heard of a group of Gladiator's calling or naming one of their number "Gladiator", lol.

While I did not add "IMO", neither did you in your above post "isn't really a suggestion". Writing something, it is implied it is in one's opinion, unless otherwise stated.

But no worries, we all want what is best for Donna!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I never heard of a group of Gladiator's calling or naming one of their number "Gladiator", lol.

While I did not add "IMO", neither did you in your above post "isn't really a suggestion". Writing something, it is implied it is in one's opinion, unless otherwise stated.

But no worries, we all want what is best for Donna!
    Well, there was a movie called Gladiator... not Group of Gladiators. It would also work with Spartan (Diggle's codename on Arrow) I'd put it in the same vein as The Mandalorian.

(I didn't add IMO, because 'she doesn't need one" is literally not a suggestion, so not really my opinion. Saying only a couple of the names are decent is an opinion, and since we're all trying to flex our creative muscles here, maybe not the nicest way to say it. But it's all good... we're all on the same side here.)

I'm wondering what's gonna happen on the TV show. Currently, she's still WONDERGIRL or Donna (which is usually spelled WONDER GIRL, with a space, but not in the show) but if they do a spin-off with Conor Leslie's Donna Troy / WONDERGIRL, (rumoured) and then add Cassie (not rumoured YET) we might see a change at that point. I'm hoping they come up with something in the aftermath of INFECTED, that sticks in comics and can be incorporated into the show, but honestly, I'm good with Wondergirl in the show.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 09-25-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    The discussion is possible codenames /cape names / superhero names for Donna Troy, so 'she doesn't need one' isn't really a suggestion... so if that's your answer, don't worry, we heard you.

That's not the game we're playing though.

So far, I'm digging

Victory
    Wildstar
    Ms Wonder
    Wondergirl
    Olympian
    AMAZON
    Darkstar
    Harbinger
    American Amazon
    Amazon Avenger
    Wonder Woman
    Fine, then you really should come up with some better names because so many of these are horrible or redundant.

I suggest Donna Horowitz-Silberstein her super power can be interior decorating at super speed.

Fine, then you really should come up with some better names because so many of these are horrible or redundant.

I suggest Donna Horowitz-Silberstein her super power can be interior decorating at super speed.
    Nice. Now I can only think of new code name options for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You said that she's never been referred to as "anything better canonically". She's been called Wonder Girl, a name you want to use for Donna but not for Cassie. If you don't think the Wonder Girl name is better than Troia, why do you think it would be a good name for Donna?
    I said that about Cassie, which is true. We are talking about my headcanon here; within which I only want each codename to be used by one person, and I am not trying to have that construed as fact. I never said that, it seems you are misunderstanding me.
    Last edited by TheRay; 09-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Its a good alias maybe she uses the name if she goes undercover as a reporter or something lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Its a good alias maybe she uses the name if she goes undercover as a reporter or something lol
    OOH! Lois needs an intern!