Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think the important question to ask is: can Donna's name be replaced in "I'm Donna Troy, bitch" and still sound badass?

"I'm Troia, bitch." Yes.

"I'm Wonder Girl, bitch." ... Sorta.

"I'm Ms Wonder, bitch." Eh.

That said I dunno why people are so anti-Troia in the first place.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I can't visualize anyone other than Donna using the name Troia unless they had the Titan-seed power of Troia.
    If Donna uses the name "Troia" she just really should not have a secret identity at all. I try to avoid using codenames that are just the person's actually identity (but sometimes it's unavoidable since canon does it a lot - [sorry for Marvel] Spiderman points out that Dr. Strange's codename is just his name), so I let it slide, but Donna has actually used a codename outside of her name in the past so it seems pointless for her to just switch to using her actual name, even if it is her Titan name as well. The reason I use "Troia" for Cassie is that there really is not anything else and it is treated like a codename for Donna, so if they can pass Wonder Girl back and forth why not this name as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    If Donna uses the name "Troia" she just really should not have a secret identity at all. I try to avoid using codenames that are just the person's actually identity (but sometimes it's unavoidable since canon does it a lot - [sorry for Marvel] Spiderman points out that Dr. Strange's codename is just his name), so I let it slide, but Donna has actually used a codename outside of her name in the past so it seems pointless for her to just switch to using her actual name, even if it is her Titan name as well. The reason I use "Troia" for Cassie is that there really is not anything else and it is treated like a codename for Donna, so if they can pass Wonder Girl back and forth why not this name as well?
    I'm not so attached to the Troia name myself but you can't say it fits Cassie the same way it fits the character named Donna Troy.

Not to mention that Donna hasn't been a girl in a very long time so calling her Wonder Girl is just infantilizing especially when no one's pushing to have Wally go by Kid Flash or Garth go by Aqualad again.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not so attached to the Troia name myself but you can't say it fits Cassie the same way it fits the character named Donna Troy.

Not to mention that Donna hasn't been a girl in a very long time so calling her Wonder Girl is just infantilizing especially when no one's pushing to have Wally go by Kid Flash or Garth go by Aqualad again.
    I mean, I think the argument is that the fact that her name is Donna Troy is precisely why it's a poor codename. It's so similar to her actual name that it sounds kinda goofy as a codename.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I mean, I think the argument is that the fact that her name is Donna Troy is precisely why it's a poor codename. It's so similar to her actual name that it sounds kinda goofy as a codename.
    Like I said, I'm not too attached to the name but it makes more sense for Donna than for Cassie. And as said, Troia is Titan of Myth name not just a code name.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It's not actually a codename. It's kind alike in Dragon Ball Z where the hero has two names Son Goku and Kakarot. One is the name given by Humans, and the other is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I think the important question to ask is: can Donna's name be replaced in "I'm Donna Troy, bitch" and still sound badass?

"I'm Troia, bitch." Yes.

"I'm Wonder Girl, bitch." ... Sorta.

"I'm Ms Wonder, bitch." Eh.

That said I dunno why people are so anti-Troia in the first place.
    I don't think this is a very important question.

And Troia is awful, for the many reasons named here...

And "It's Ms. Wonder, bitch" works perfectly, IMO.

I like Olympia, AMAZON, American Amazon, Olympian, Ms. Wonder, even Suprema...

But Wonder Girl should be IT. Cassie can be Fury (or even Wonder Girl) and Donna should be Wonder Girl (ala Supergirl.)
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 09-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I don't think this is a very important question.

And Troia is awful, for the many reasons named here...

And "It's Ms. Wonder, bitch" works perfectly, IMO.

I like Olympia, AMAZON, American Amazon, Olympian, Ms. Wonder, even Suprema...

But Wonder Girl should be IT. Cassie can be Fury (or even Wonder Girl) and Donna should be Wonder Girl (ala Supergirl.)
    Suprema is a Marvel Supervillainess. Olympian is a male superhero. Why would she use one of the others?

There's actually a backstory behind why she's called Troia. It's the name Rhea gave her as part of making her a Titan Seed. What reason is there for Donna Troy to use any of those other names?

Why not just make Donna the modern Fury? Wasn't that the name of her Earth 2 counterpart? That seems like the obvious choice to me, if not Troia; it's notable and it has a history.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Why not just make Donna the modern Fury? Wasn't that the name of her Earth 2 counterpart? That seems like the obvious choice to me, if not Troia; it's notable and it has a history.
    "History" of her Nu52 counterpart... bleh

The Fury mantle belongs to Lyta Trevor. The cool thing about the original Earths One and Two were that, not every hero has an "exact" counterpart on it's opposite Earth. Power Girl/SUpergirl, Batgirl/ Huntress, Wonder Gil/Fury....

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    The Fury mantle belongs to Lyta Trevor.
    Pretty sure it "belongs" to WB/DC. I get that generational nostalgia is the driving force behind comics these days, but the best thing about DC is that it's freed itself from continuity in favor of mythological flexibility.

No one knows Lyta Trevor. I'm creeping up on middle age and I barely have a sense of Earth 2's appeal. Don't cry at me that we just need to wait for the right Lyta Trevor story to come along and make an impact. She's a legacy character that follows the lead of her tentpole character, and we can BARELY get a WW origin that works. WHY NOT make a legacy mantle out of the name "Fury"?

I like "Fury" for both Lyta and Helena, but not Donna.

While still working on a good codename, similar to Jean Grey, this one is also escaping us (me) at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like "Fury" for both Lyta and Helena, but not Donna.
    Please go on.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    "History" of her Nu52 counterpart... bleh
    Which is 100% not what I meant.

Yes, she has history with it through the New 52's Earth 2, but I was mostly referring to the fact that even if there's little to no chance that an adult Lyta Trevor will exist again for a very long time, the codename Fury has a LOT of history with DC comics and the Wonder Woman universe in general.

If I were honest I wouldn't give it to Donna if I had to give it to anyone. I'd make her Troia again, but it fits. If I could make her Troia again, I'd make Artemis Fury.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 09-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Which is 100% not what I meant.

Yes, she has history with it through the New 52's Earth 2, but I was mostly referring to the fact that even if there's little to no chance that an adult Lyta Trevor will exist again for a very long time, the codename Fury has a LOT of history with DC comics and the Wonder Woman universe in general.

If I were honest I wouldn't give it to Donna if I had to give it to anyone. I'd make her Troia again, but it fits. If I could make her Troia again, I'd make Artemis Fury.
    Fury fits Artemis better but I'm still holding out hope for Lyta Trevor.

There's nothing wrong with Donna Troy, sometimes less is more and simplicity is best. No other name on this thread sounds better, let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm more concerned about her being one of The Batman Who Laughs infected and how she's been made evil so many times that this one might stick.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.