Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REPORT: "Man of Steel" Sequel Enters Active Development

According to a new report, Warner Bros. has greenlit a sequel to 2013's "Man of Steel," despite the events of "Batman v Superman."

Full article here.

Not surprising, but whoooo-hoooo, nonetheless. I'm ready!
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    Not surprising, but whoooo-hoooo, nonetheless. I'm ready!
    I can't wait!! Incredibly excited here for another Cavill solo!
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

i guess...i just feel he's too tainted. The worst part about BvS was the Superman side of the movie, including his supporting class and Lex Luthor

AWESOME! Brainiac, please!

get 'em cavill! let's go superman!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Woot!

Nice vote of confidence for Superman, and much-needed good news for the fans!

My only caveat? PLEASE don't let Snyder have anything to do with this one. I thought MOS was brilliant, myself, but clearly a lot of other people didn't. And giving those people any reason to believe that this sequel will be more of what they got from MOS will not help ticket sales. Unless Justice League blows everyone away to the point of being considered a total redemption for Snyder, then having his name anywhere on the project is just bad press that this movie won't need.

If there's ANY chance we can get George Miller, then DO IT. Offer him ANYTHING.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I loved Man of Steel, and I think it had some of the most thrilling action sequences ever for a superhero movie. I also really liked BvS.

However, I also think that the tone of the DC movies being perceived as being too dark has hurt the brand and given people some trepidation in seeing a DC movie. Or at least wanting to see it multiple times at the theater, which is really key for getting those billion dollar box office numbers.

I personally don't see what's wrong in going dark, but I understand that for a lot of fans they really want the classic tone of what they think the DC characters should be.

DC Comics pre-Crisis have always been more about people getting along more than Marvel Comics. That changed after Crisis and the success of Watchmen and Frank Miller's Dark Knight miniseries where DC seemed anxious to shed its goody-goody Silver Age image. Maybe they went too far the other way, and that seems to be what Geoff Johns alluded to in the Rebirth Special.

If the movie producers and Geoff Johns want to add more heart and warmth to the DC movies in an attempt to broaden their appeal, I would be all for it. However, I don't want them to go all the way to Marvel-tone in their movies where everything is quippy, superficial, and glib.

I liked the dramatic and serious tone of the DC movies. It made me care about what happened. The Marvel movies may be fun, but like a roller coaster, when it's over, I'm not left with anything substantive from the experience.

So, for me, the ideal tone for the DC movies would be: dramatic, serious, something real at stake, good character interactions, heart, warmth, and a thrilling sense of catharsis when it's all over.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-08-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Woot!

Nice vote of confidence for Superman, and much-needed good news for the fans!

My only caveat? PLEASE don't let Snyder have anything to do with this one. I thought MOS was brilliant, myself, but clearly a lot of other people didn't. And giving those people any reason to believe that this sequel will be more of what they got from MOS will not help ticket sales. Unless Justice League blows everyone away to the point of being considered a total redemption for Snyder, then having his name anywhere on the project is just bad press that this movie won't need.

If there's ANY chance we can get George Miller, then DO IT. Offer him ANYTHING.
    Snyder has already said in recent interviews that Justice League (which is being very much micromanaged by Ben Affleck, Geoff Johns and other WB execs) will be the third and final film in his DC trilogy.

Fantastic Member

I want Duncan Jones to direct and brainiac to be the villain

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Great news! I didnt mind BvS but it didnt seem to be much of a Superman movie. I liked Luthor way more than I thought I would. Brainiac would be my pick for the big bad guy as well.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Snyder has already said in recent interviews that Justice League (which is being very much micromanaged by Ben Affleck, Geoff Johns and other WB execs) will be the third and final film in his DC trilogy.
    Thank Zod! Snyder is a great visual guy but his script writing is lacking. I just love his scenes in Watchmen and the fantasy scenes in Sucker Punch but when he is left to write the story it's usually not good. How do you take a character like Superman who has always been a happy and joyful character and try to turn him into this dark and gloomy character. Man of Steel 2 hopefully get Superman back to where he belongs and judging by Waller's comments in Suicide Squad about Superman sharing our morals we might finally get the Superman everyone is looking for.

According to the report, "Superman is a top priority for the studio and getting the character right for audiences is of tantamount importance."
    So they admit that they screwed up with their portrayal of Superman so far. Good. Hopefully, a bright, warm and inspirational Superman can still come about in the new DC Cinematic Universe. I like Cavil in the role, but I always thought that the writers don't really get Superman.

Sounds like they're on the right track and want to give Supes what he deserves. I was upset by his portrayal in BvS to say the least. I want to see a hopeful Superman but not cheesy and still badass. I know they can do it!

Spectacular Member

Take him to space cos that's where Superman shines the most.
    Let him fight Brainiac or Mongul. Let him also come in contact with a certain group of space cops who keep peace throughout the universe.