Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Well, of course they care most about their biggest characters.
    I wonder how many in charge of DC these days even think about the classic Justice Society of America as being among their "biggest characters", even though the book still pulled in decent numbers from the Diamond Top 300 lists just before Flashpoint struck.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder how many in charge of DC these days even think about the classic Justice Society of America as being among their "biggest characters", even though the book still pulled in decent numbers from the Diamond Top 300 lists just before Flashpoint struck.
    DC has given them many opportunities, even recently with Worlds' Finest and Earth 2. Granted the post-Flashpoint remaking wasn't was many JSA fans wanted, but they still used two books to bring back the concept. I'm sure in the management of DC, there are a variety of opinions as to how "important" or "popular" the JSA is.

I keep harping that "diversity" is more than having different races and sexual orientations in characters and creators. Books like the JSA and to some extent, the Legion, have long histories and deal with legacy concepts. Having every book easily able to crossover into the latest Batman isn't diversity, it's a cookie cutter for concepts.

The JSA can sell, it HAS sold, and for quite a few years carried more than one book. They've been older since JLofA #21 and mentoring younger heroes since All-Star #58. The concept is timeless and constantly trying to make it look like the current big seller turns a valid different idea into a cheap knockoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    DC has given them many opportunities, even recently with Worlds' Finest and Earth 2. Granted the post-Flashpoint remaking wasn't was many JSA fans wanted, but they still used two books to bring back the concept. I'm sure in the management of DC, there are a variety of opinions as to how "important" or "popular" the JSA is.
    Feh!

Remember, I said
    the classic Justice Society of America
    I don't consider what we got with Earth 2 anywhere near the "classic" Justice Society of America (unless DiDio was trying to sell the New52 series as "the JSA done right").

As for how well they were still selling prior to Flashpoint, the CBR list of orders for the series in the last few months were:
    * Aug. 2011 = 85th - Justice Society of America #54 - 25,584 copies
    * July 2011 = 74th - Justice Society of America #53 - 26,516 copies
    * June 2011 = 83rd - Justice Society of America #52 - 27,195 copies
    * May 2011 = 54th - Justice Society of America #51 - 28,256 copies
    * April 2011 = 46th - Justice Society of America #50 - 32,251 copies
    Still respectable numbers at the end. And, mind you, this was after

Feh!

Remember, I said I don't consider what we got with Earth 2 anywhere near the "classic" Justice Society of America (unless DiDio was trying to sell the New52 series as "the JSA done right").

As for how well they were still selling prior to Flashpoint, the CBR list of orders for the series in the last few months were:
    * Aug. 2011 = 85th - Justice Society of America #54 - 25,584 copies
    * July 2011 = 74th - Justice Society of America #53 - 26,516 copies
    * June 2011 = 83rd - Justice Society of America #52 - 27,195 copies
    * May 2011 = 54th - Justice Society of America #51 - 28,256 copies
    * April 2011 = 46th - Justice Society of America #50 - 32,251 copies
    Still respectable numbers at the end. And, mind you, this was after [the horrible final arc]

Getting exactly what you want isn't the same as DC not thinking the title can't sell. They tried to tweak (feel free to use a stronger word) the concept while bringing back a classic part of the concept many of us wanted (a separate Earth).

DC hasn't totally forgotten about the JSA, although they've tired everything under the sun to change it from the concept people seemed to like best to something they could interchange. From Super Squad to Infinity, Inc and All Star Squadron to DC FINALLY getting the JSA in a book of their own titled Justice Society and a long run after that, they still wanted to putter ands play with the concept.

Me, I too want a multi-generational JSA set on its own Earth. I want a writer who can get stories that fit a team NOT another Justice League clone. DC's got a chance to reintroduce a concept that has legacy, history, and a pre-built fan base. It's astonishing how often they fail to realize they should fix what ain't broken.

I can never really decide if I want them back on the main Earth or as part of revival of classic Earth-2.
    I LOVE the concept of Earth-2 and I think in the long run it leaves way more room for stories (plus the return of favorites like Helena Wayne, a proper Power Girl origin etc).
    On the other hand, I think the DCU loses a lot without the history of the JSA as its first superteam. But I think the main Earth has the potential to start feeling cluttered again, for them to have their own Earth would be good.
    What I can't see working anymore is for both of those versions to exist at the same time.
    Now that Wonder Woman debuted during WWII and the JSA is seemingly back in continuity, I don't think there would be enough distinction between both JSAs.
    What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I can never really decide if I want them back on the main Earth or as part of revival of classic Earth-2.
    I LOVE the concept of Earth-2 and I think in the long run it leaves way more room for stories (plus the return of favorites like Helena Wayne, a proper Power Girl origin etc).
    On the other hand, I think the DCU loses a lot without the history of the JSA as its first superteam. But I think the main Earth has the potential to start feeling cluttered again, for them to have their own Earth would be good.
    What I can't see working anymore is for both of those versions to exist at the same time.
    Now that Wonder Woman debuted during WWII and the JSA is seemingly back in continuity, I don't think there would be enough distinction between both JSAs.
    What do you guys think?
    I've said this many times, but with the departure of the esteemed Major Hoy, the E2 based threads have been few and far between lately.

I would rather a separate Earth Two for the JSA. This allows to see a truly major effect that superheroes would have after decades on a planet. We'd see differences in political separations, tech levels, and style. Plus, the "whatever happens on E2 happens on E1" schtick could be a thing as the effects of superheroes could be used as either inspirational or cautionary tales. A JSA on the main Earth means that the JSA's history needs to have almost no effect on earth's history making them somewhat unimportant.

Now that doesn't mean I can't live with a JSA on the Justice League's Earth. However, the two teams need to have some big separation so as to not seem like two versions of the same franchise. The Justice Society NEEDS to be older and have a longer history. Their relationships with their adult children is also very important. Granted Jon Kent being an older teenager lessens that distinction for the JSA, but to be brutally honest, if writers can't make a parent/child conflict work, there's a big problem.

What happened to Major Hoy?
    I agree with your comments. In terms of world-building Earth-2 has tons of interesting possibilities.
    I'm leaning more towards wanting them on their on Earth.
    I do have to wonder how they'd explain the ages of some of the characters like Huntress. If Batman debuted in 1939 when he was 20, he would be a hundred years old. I guess they could say Catwoman was 20 years younger and had Helena when she was 45 and Bruce 65. This way present-day Helena would be 35 and at the top of her game.
    Dick Grayson would have debuted as Robin four decades after Batman (around the 80s) and would be no older than 50, so he could still be like a sibling to Helena.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    We the fans of the Justice Society of America/JSA are long over due for their return. Rebirth is the perfect opportunity to give so many fans the team that they have loved for so long. There are so many ways to bring them back and make them work. I just hope DC listens. Geoff Johns is a huge fan of the team and must understand how important they are to the DC Universe.

Heres to bringing the JSA back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here! Here! Bring them back!!! Go with Geoff Johns cast & bring back the Sandman while you are at it. The New Mr. Terrific was a great improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    What happened to Major Hoy?
    I agree with your comments. In terms of world-building Earth-2 has tons of interesting possibilities.
    I'm leaning more towards wanting them on their on Earth.
    I do have to wonder how they'd explain the ages of some of the characters like Huntress. If Batman debuted in 1939 when he was 20, he would be a hundred years old. I guess they could say Catwoman was 20 years younger and had Helena when she was 45 and Bruce 65. This way present-day Helena would be 35 and at the top of her game.
    Dick Grayson would have debuted as Robin four decades after Batman (around the 80s) and would be no older than 50, so he could still be like a sibling to Helena.
    The Major's dropped his CBR posting. I have no idea why, but he's been seen on other sites.

As for ages, the beauty of superheroes changing the world is that science and tech changes dramatically and Earth 2 could be in a 1985 state without looking like our 1985. On our earth, a need for a jump is there if more characters are to be used in the current day. Guys like Terry Sloane, Wes Dodds, Ted Knight, as whatever is going to be done with Black Canary are all normal human who would get older and older as time goes by.