Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

We don't need a mix of modern and classic characters. Just use the damned classic characters. There are plenty of them to use.

If you've got modern characters you want to use, then use them somewhere else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    We don't need a mix of modern and classic characters. Just use the damned classic characters. There are plenty of them to use.

If you've got modern characters you want to use, then use them somewhere else.
    There's nothing wrong with using the modern legacy characters. Its actually good because it shows how the characters and the team have grown and evolved over the years. That signifies progress and shows that the characters aren't just stuck in one place. I don't want to see just Alan Scott and Jay Garrick. I want to also see Stargirl and Cyclone and Obsidian and Damage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with using the modern legacy characters. Its actually good because it shows how the characters and the team have grown and evolved over the years. That signifies progress and shows that the characters aren't just stuck in one place. I don't want to see just Alan Scott and Jay Garrick. I want to also see Stargirl and Cyclone and Obsidian and Damage.
    They can use modern characters all they want to. But they ain't needed in the JSA comic, at least not as members of the team. Guest appearances would be fine.

BANNED

I couldn't agree more.

Spectacular Member

Default JSA... and legacy

They can use modern characters all they want to. But they ain't needed in the JSA comic, at least not as members of the team. Guest appearances would be fine.
    A JSA without legacy characters makes little to no sense. Granted, the JSA is founded/formed by the classic characters; yet, the whole schtick of it is to be the basis for legacy, and I find it that WHEN the JSA incorporates new, untrained legacy characters to the mix (fleshing them out, and placing them within the larger DCU), it works better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    A JSA without legacy characters makes little to no sense. Granted, the JSA is founded/formed by the classic characters; yet, the whole schtick of it is to be the basis for legacy, and I find it that WHEN the JSA incorporates new, untrained legacy characters to the mix (fleshing them out, and placing them within the larger DCU), it works better.
    We saw that with Geoff's JSA. It was a very good comic, but just as with Green Lantern, his changes turned it into something completely different.

It's time to do the JSA undiluted and "unimproved."

If the legacy characters are all that, then put them on their own team and let's see what happens. Maybe it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I love how you bring up your old opinions as if they are FACTS.
    This boorish behavior appears in every one of his thousands of posts. Better to ignore him. He's like gnats on a camping trip.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I'm in favor of a JSA book real soon
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Incredible Member

They can use some of the original team, but I really don't expect ALL of the original founders. The legacy characters are fine. Let's be honest that a good portion of the legacy characters have outshined the originals. Michael Holt, Stargirl, and Sandy have really become their own heroes. Spectre will never be on a team again. But legacy characters are not bad. Ted Kord is considerably more renown than Dan Garret.

Retired

If there's going to be stories set beyond the 1940s and 1950s, then it makes sense to show the next generation in the Society. But they really have to be the next generation. The 2007 run of JSA (which I gave up on after about the first ten issues) played fast and loose with the next generation--and for that matter, who qualified to be in the the first generation of heroes. Geoff Johns was just shoe-horning in a bunch of characters he wanted to include--regardless of what connection they had to the Justice Society.

I loved to see characters like the grown-up Robin, Huntress, Power Girl--even Star-Spangled Kid made some sense (once he was connected to Ted Knight). Dinah Lance, Jack Knight, Hippolyta, Sandy--these had some reason to be in the JSA. It was good to see the generational dynamic between the original heroes and their offspring and protegés. But Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Citizen Steel?

Extraordinary Member

Says who? You? You're gonna have to do better than that.

We saw that with Geoff's JSA. It was a very good comic, but just as with Green Lantern, his changes turned it into something completely different.

It's time to do the JSA undiluted and "unimproved."

If the legacy characters are all that, then put them on their own team and let's see what happens. Maybe it'll work.
    And? Organic change is a GOOD thing. It shows that the characters have grown and experienced new things. By your logic, the X-Men should have stopped adding members after the original 5. That would mean no Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Gambit, etc.

Comics, as an industry, is built on the contributions not just of the first writer to ever write a character/team, but of all the writers after that. When you strip away the contributions of all the different writers to the mythology of the team (under the guise of "returning to basics"), whether its the JSA or the X-Men or the JLA or the Avengers, you cheapen the final product.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-10-2016 at 03:33 PM.

I hate to agree with Trey, but since we don't have a JSA yet, it's a little premature to also demand the legacy characters.

Let's see if / what we get first from DC. If they're grabbed from a point of time where they are still relatively young and brought forward to the present, there would be no point in introducing the next generation legacy right way. (Where would they come from in the first place?)

It is probably simpler to just restore the pre flashpoint history rather than go thru these convolutions just to bring back the jsa and its legacies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hate to agree with Trey, but since we don't have a JSA yet, it's a little premature to also demand the legacy characters.

Let's see if / what we get first from DC. If they're grabbed from a point of time where they are still relatively young and brought forward to the present, there would be no point in introducing the next generation legacy right way. (Where would they come from in the first place?)
    Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    It is probably simpler to just restore the pre flashpoint history rather than go thru these convolutions just to bring back the jsa and its legacies.
    I agree with colonyofcells. Just bring back the JSA as they were Pre-Flashpoint. This is Rebirth after all.

I agree with colonyofcells. Just bring back the JSA as they were Pre-Flashpoint. This is Rebirth after all.
    So, why is DC bothering to integrate certain things into what they had already been publishing during the past +/-five years of the New 52 if they're just going to DUMP IT ALL and return to the pre-Flashpoint DC continuities anyway?

Answer: THEY AREN'T TOTALLY ABANDONING THE NEW 52.