Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, why is DC bothering to integrate certain things into what they had already been publishing during the past +/-five years of the New 52 if they're just going to DUMP IT ALL and return to the pre-Flashpoint DC continuities anyway?

Answer: THEY AREN'T TOTALLY ABANDONING THE NEW 52.
    I didn't say "totally abandon the New 52." I've NEVER said that. Why do you keep saying that I do? What I am saying is KEEP the stuff that does work with Pre-FP canon and DITCH the stuff that doesn't. In the case of the JSA, well, they can easily be reintroduced exactly as they were before Flashpoint because the "New 52 versions" of those characters were inhabitants of another Earth altogether. They wouldn't need to do much to simply say "here's the Prime Earth version of the Justice Society (with Alan Scott and his kids, Jade and Obsidian, and Jay Garrick and Wildcat II and Stargirl et al) that has its roots to WWII and has their Pre-FP adventures intact" because there are not really many Prime Earth counterparts to contradict them. The only ones I can really think of are Dr. Fate and Stargirl.

And even for those two and the JSA overall, what do you think those 10 years that were snatched from the timeline are? They're not made up adventures. They're the Pre-FP stories and canon. So, the old JSA's adventures are contained therein. So even if they introduce the JSA without those memories, at the end of Rebirth, they will be getting them back.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I didn't say "totally abandon the New 52." I've NEVER said that. Why do you keep saying that I do? What I am saying is KEEP the stuff that does work with Pre-FP canon and DITCH the stuff that doesn't.
    Because you seem to want them to bring back ALL the pre-Flashpoint stuff, but that's not possible with the de-aged / reimagined changes that were made. The New 52 continuity is like a pile of Jenga blocks. You can carefully remove a few things, but pretty soon if you take away too much, it will fall apart.

To return ALL of the things you want, what will you have left? Who won't be affected by changing certain other characters back to the way they were? When they pretended they were keeping most of Grant Morrison's back Batman stories in continuity when they originally started the New 52, they still had to make a lot of revisions to take into account all the changes that happened to Batman's extended family.

BANNED

They ain't gonna "improve" it by adding modern characters. Someone at DC might think he can, but he can't.

If your modern characters are any good, then let's see if you can do anything with them that will work besides attaching them to the Golden Age JSA.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-11-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Because you seem to want them to bring back ALL the pre-Flashpoint stuff, but that's not possible with the de-aged / reimagined changes that were made.
    Uh....you do know that the characters of the DC Universe are already supposed to be 10 years older than they currently are, right? That's the whole point of Rebirth. When Wally said Dr. Manhattan took ten years from the timeline, he also said "heroes that were legends became novices." Part of that clearly means that they were de-aged as a result. So Batman and Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan are all supposed to be 10 years older than they are currently. Those Pre-Flashpoint years and experiences that are missing from New 52 ARE those 10 years. Batman met Cass during No Man's Land, but NML was taken out of the timeline by Dr. Manhattan, so B&R: Eternal is their "first meeting" as they remember it. Once those 10 years are restored, they'll likely be able to recall their previous adventures together and Cass's time as Batgirl. Same with Azrael and all of the rest of Batman's "extended family" as you call them, which is especially likely when you consider that Morrison's Batman stuff was still called upon well into the New 52.

Its not the most eloquent explanation, but its the one DC has established.

Also, the DCU timeline before Flashpoint was already about 15 years. So, the "five years" that were left alone at the beginning of the New 52 PLUS the 10 years that Dr. Manhattan took EQUALS 15 years.

The New 52 continuity is like a pile of Jenga blocks. You can carefully remove a few things, but pretty soon if you take away too much, it will fall apart.
    The New 52 continuity already made no sense. For example, how do Hal and Kyle even know each other if not for GL: Rebirth, which then means that Death of Superman and Kyle's time as Green Lantern and Final Night etc. must all be canon as well. But that conflicts with New 52 Superman's apparently never having died...

So, New 52 was already falling apart.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-11-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    They ain't gonna "improve" it by adding modern characters. Someone at DC might think he can, but he can't.

If your modern characters are any good, then let's see if you can do anything with them that will work besides attaching them to the Golden Age JSA.
    I love how you state your opinions as if they're fact, Trey.

Then let's see if Marvel can do anything else with Colossus or Rogue besides them just being linked to the X-Men, because obviously if they can't, then those characters are failures...
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-11-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

If I remember correctly in the first teaser pics for Rebirth you had characters in shadows, one was clearly Jay Garrick. I'm not sure if DC got cold feet or if Johns wants to wait until he has time to revamp the JSA himself. But clearly they had plans for the JSA post Rebirth.

BANNED

Tell you what. DC should try out the JSA without "improving" it. If it doesn't sell, then change it. But if it does sell, then the people who are handling the title should keep their egos in check and leave it the hell alone.

Extraordinary Member

This is the JSA DC should bring back...plus Alan Scott and Jay Garrick.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-12-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

This is the JSA DC should bring back...plus Alan Scott and Jay Garrick.
    It's not the JSA for me without Alan, Jay and Mr Terrific (new version). DC suckered me into buying Checkmate because of Alan and Mr. T, and neither played nearly as prominent a role as I had hoped. I would say Hawkman too but I realize he is under dispute like Quicksilver (is he more X-Men or Avengers property), because Carter has ties to both JSA and JLA. Oh and I hated Magog so he can't be there.

I remember the issue of Sandman where Odin offers Morpheus a glass ball that magically houses an artificial Ragnarok (he created this to study Ragnarok in an effort to somehow avoid it), and trapped within were the JSA, fighting the endless battle we saw in Death of the JSA. Odin tells Morpheus that one of the strange beings he discovered within had a bit of his power (Wesley Dodds).

Was this the first hint that the JSA were not fighting in the actual 'Ragnarok', a possible clue to their eventual return?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Oh, look . . . the Teen JSA!

I'll pass . . . not enough to interest me.

Astonishing Member

yea my favorite version is the John's modern JSA version along with the addition of Infinity Inc characters. I want the classic characters, instead of forcing tons of new characters no one knows or cares about under the JSA banner. If you want new character put them on crowded earth or make them secondary characters but not the focus of the book.

BANNED

There isn't any groundswell for a comic that stars the JSA's legacy characters. Instead there's a groundswell for the Golden Age JSA. So how is it a given that a JSA comic needs the legacy characters in it too? The answer, obviously, is that it's not a given. The comic doesn't need them.

See whether the Golden Age JSA can succeed in a comic without the legacy characters, and see whether the legacy characters can succeed in a comic without the Golden Age JSA. I know who I'd put my money on.

Maybe the legacy characters can fly alone. If so, that's great. But I'm as sure as anyone can be about such things that the Golden Age JSA will fly and doesn't need anyone else on the team.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty sure none of them are teens.