Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Red face SPOILERS: Mr and Mrs X #5 Recap and Review Thread

MMX was an excellent way to start my Thanksgiving mini-cation.

We open with the recently widowed Gambit who is kneeling in the dust that used to be his wife and Xandra, and trying to make sense of what has just happened.

With Xandra dead, the other players have no reason to stay, and take their leave. Besides, they have to go home to get started on the apology fruit baskets and funeral potatoes.

We flashback to thirty minute earlier, when the battle is in full swing. Gambit is taking Imperial Guard down in his usual graceful, agile manner. He makes Impulse into his own personal Cyclops and shooting the others with his eye beams.

Meanwhile, the Starjammers are squaring off against Titan, with limited success. They get Team Rocketed.

Rogue is protecting Xandra, but realizes that the fight has turned against them when Deathbird and her troops arrive. Cerise takes a hard blast square in the back, and Gambit gets impaled by Deathbird's lance. Xandra also recognizes that they are losing, and proposes a desperate plan to Rogue. She wants to tell Gambit, but Xandra tells her that they can't risk discovery and have to act immediately. Xandra is clearly a messy bitch who lives for drama, because she could telepathically pass that message to Gambit, and chooses not to do so.

Rogue touches Xandra, and they explode. Only to reappear in front of a distraught Gambit once the Imperial Guard, Starjammers, and Deathbirds of Prey have gone. Rogue explains that her death was an illusion. She'd touched Xandra, they'd combined their powers, and made it look as if the absorption had gone terrible wrong. Gambit is furious; rightly, he notes that Rogue has a tendency to act like the boss in the relationship, and forget that he's meant to be her partner and not her underling. She tells him to be grateful they're alive, and not angry that she deceived him.

As they talk, she realizes that she knows exactly how he feels. Literally. His thoughts and feelings are in her head. Something has gone wrong with her powers, and she now absorbs people without touching them. (Perhaps noteworthy: the same thing happened to Gambit in Nicieza's series, where he could charge things without touching them.)

Even as he's being absorbed, Gambit has the presence of mind to hand her the collar, and she puts it on.

In the aftermath, a shocked Rogue lies curled into a little ball under Gambit's space duster. Gambit checks on Cerise and Xandra, and asks them to bring their ship to the planet to collect them. It's clear that he wants alone time with Rogue, and also to give her the luxury of a little more time.

He lies down on the ground next to her, and puts his hand on her shoulder. He tells her that he would give her all the time in the world if he could, but it isn't safe and they need to go. He produces the wedding bands that Bling! made, and forgets to pronounce the exclamation mark in her name in the emotion of the moment. He says to Rogue that they should put them on now, but she is reluctant. With her newly uncontrollable powers, she has no idea what will happen next, except that she is truly doomed. Gambit recognizes this speech as a classic Rogue move: she's pushing him away hard, because she's scared. He refuses to be pushed away, and insists on holding her to her promise that she'll always find her way back to him. She lets him put on the ring, and they kiss. Or, as Cerise puts it, massage tongues. It's a very sweet moment.

Back on the ship, Rogue and Xandra say goodbye. Rogue asks Xandra if she can fix the new problem with her powers, but Xandra says that it would mean lobotomizing her. Instead, as she continues to say, Rogue and her powers are not broken; instead, they are evolved. She needs to learn how to control it.

After Xandra leaves, Gambit proposes they go home. Rogue calls him "husband" for the first time, which is a good, subtle touch. It suggests that she hasn't quite let herself believe it up to this point, that she hadn't accepted he would be that committed to her.

In the epilogue, Rogue and Gambit are back at his penthouse, which is weirdly sparse and cold. He needs to learn about the power of good area rugs. There, they are greeted by the most important characters in the Marvel Universe: Gambit's cats. They immediately attach themselves to Rogue, and bless the addition of another provider of chin-scratches and brushies and foods to the household.

They have a weirdly awkward moment that I understand but find hard to explain. Basically, they've been through a time of intense emotion and significance. Suddenly, they're home, they have a break, they have time to take a breath, and neither of them is quite sure what should be next. They decide to throw a party.

Final thoughts: I almost unreservedly loved this issue. It brought the focus back onto the two title characters in a great way.

It was such a good Gambit issue, where you got to see him stand up for himself and insist on being respected, but also be intensely loving and supportive. Plus, it showcased how quick and quick-witted he is in combat.

I am still processing the new development in Rogue's powers. It seems like they're going to have to get worse before they get better. I don't think she needs to be more powerful, but I can also see the purpose from a narrative perspective. It forces her to deal with them sooner rather than later, as she's unable to use them as is. She can't choose whom to absorb, and will take out her team mates as well as any enemies. Otherwise, she could keep using the collar, and not work on gaining any control.

And it had the cats, which alone makes it an 11/10 issue.

thecats.jpg
    Last edited by DearMachine; 11-21-2018 at 06:31 AM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

sounds good. cant wait till i can actually read it myself. im unsure about the power thing but i like that something happens. and really its great when a power evolves. i hated when they took her abillity to touch away that she finally earned. and tweaking the power set beyond touch shes plausible here hoping she good development arc comes from this. from your description i like what i heard from Gambit. hes commited like always but in a good way here and he knows Anna and steped in to stop her from withdrawling again

and the cats are back finally. been waiting for them back on earth to see that thread picked back up. looking forward to the party issue, as well as MOJO and Thieves guild arcs. this Series is great and i only wish it was Called Rogue and Gambit
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

This book is too good for this rotten word. If you're browsing this thread, Kelly, don't let anyone tell you your job here is less than amazing.

This issue is EMOTIONAL!!! Damn . . .

Definitely loved it, though it's SO hard to see things get worse for Rogue. It really is going to get worse before it gets better. She's really in a bad way now - either in chronic pain and powerless with the collar on or completely out of control and hurting everyone around her. And while her choice was very reasonable and very heroic in the moment (agree, Remy would have done the same in her shoes), yet it has big consequences and ultimately she does the most harm to herself.

And I agree wholeheartedly, Dear Machine. This issue made Remy SHINE. Not because of fighting skills or powers which he still had in droves, but because it shows what great strength of character he has. He gets very real with Rogue. And it's so refreshing that he can be (rightfully) angry with her and express that without it being the end of them. He doubles down on being committed and supportive where a truly shallow character (and relationship) would crumble. If you don't love Gambit because you think he's shallow or sleazy, this ought to turn you around!

The cats were adorable! Obviously they love Rogue! Loved seeing R&G back in their clothes from the wedding rehersal. I was surprised Rogue hadn't been over to Remy's apartment yet though.

The only thing that threw me was the awkward moment between them at the apartment. But maybe it does make sense? They aren't sure what to do with themselves. Though I kinda wanted to see them scoot off to the bedroom! But that probably wouldn't quite fit the headspace they are in, especially Rogue.

Great issue! Can't wait for #6.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    And it had the cats, which alone makes it an 11/10 issue.

thecats.jpg
    yes. so much yes.

And Rogue and the cats are best buds now as well as Gambit and this is by FAR the best scene the kitties have ever had and also KITTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

This issue had some good moments and conversation between Rogue and Gambit because KT understands characters and knows how to write them.

But I am dissapointed. Very predictable and weak final.

I am very dissapointed baecause I like both R&G and MMX books but so far KT wrote 2 arcs and both are Rogue centered.

Rogue saved the day in R&G. It was a duo book. Rogue and Gambit must save it. It is not a solo book.

Now in MMX final Rogue saves the day again. It is duo book. It shouldn't be like this.

KT is a good writer but it seems for Romy book she has a formula.
    1 cool issue for Gambit inside of arc so Rogue can save a day at the end.

It seems the same formula will be written for Mojo arc. Gambit will shine in issue 8 and then Rogue will save the day at the end of arc.

KT writes Gambit and Rogue good but her writing formula is not right for duo book.

Really good issue, enjoyed it more than #4. Can't wait to see what KT does with Rogue's powers...and I liked the slight awkwardness of the ending.

Astonishing Member

anyone notice and I asked KT, if any reference be made that Gambit purposely named all 3 cats after Disney cats? Figaro from Pinocchio and Minnie Mouse. Oliver from the 80s Oliver and Company and Lucifer from Cinderella which was a bad cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    anyone notice and I asked KT, if any reference be made that Gambit purposely named all 3 cats after Disney cats? Figaro from Pinocchio and Minnie Mouse. Oliver from the 80s Oliver and Company and Lucifer from Cinderella which was a bad cat.
    I don't think it's ever been directly referenced, even going back to ANXF where they got their names in panel. But it would probably be awkward to work into dialogue since it's kind of an obvious yet fun Easter egg, unless a guest at the party in #6 were to ask or point it out.

Spectacular Member Kalternativa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

Now in MMX final Rogue saves the day again. It is duo book. It shouldn't be like this.
    I do not think Rogue saved the day. She was just a tool that Xandra used to make the illusion more realistic.

Negative:
    - I expected something more complex than just an illusion to explain what happened in the end of the last issue.
    - The way the big fight got resolved was a bit underwhelming, Xandra and Rogue disappear, the Imperial Guard and Deathbird thought them dead and left, and then Xandra and Rogue return. Not very exciting.

Neutral:
    Not sure how I feel about Rogue's "new powers", she is already a bit OP with her classic powers, so adding absorption without touch might be too much. I need to see how this evolves before making up my mind.

Positive:
    - The best and more enjoyable parts of the issue were the quite ones, KT nails that stuff effortlessly.
    - Xandra is adorable, probably the breakout character of the year. I hope we see her again in the future.
    - Seems like this is the first step for Rogue to actually start working in controlling her powers, that's good.

I'll give it a 7.7/10.

This issue put a smile on my face and got me into the holiday spirit.

Given how bleak the rest of the X-books are set to become in the coming months, I really hope this books keeps its lighter, sweeter tone.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This issue put a smile on my face and got me into the holiday spirit.

Given how bleak the rest of the X-books are set to become in the coming months, I really hope this books keeps its lighter, sweeter tone.
    Love your posts. You always add something positive to all threads

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Love your posts. You always add something positive to all threads
    What can I say? Reading comics on New Comic Day put me in a good mood.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

she could talk with mimic if he survives extermination and see if that helps.