Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Batfamily Will Preval UnderTheRedHood's Avatar

Default If your were in charge of Gotham Ciy how would you fix the city?

What laws would you pass?

How would you deal with Criminals?

How would you insure that the people of Gotham Are safe?

Would you tolerate Vigilantes? and if you don't if not how would you deal with batman?
    Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, Helena Wayne, Bruce, Harper, Kate, Dick, Barbra, Thomas, Brenna, Tim, Damian, Duke , Stephanie, Luke, Terry,

#BATSQUAD

So we'd basically be the Mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So we'd basically be the Mayor?
    Yup. Basically. how would you act as Gotham's mayor?
    Last edited by UnderTheRedHood; 08-09-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, Helena Wayne, Bruce, Harper, Kate, Dick, Barbra, Thomas, Brenna, Tim, Damian, Duke , Stephanie, Luke, Terry,

#BATSQUAD

Mighty Member

If I have a real power over the city: Make the death penalty in effect (I'm against it in real life but when you have criminals who have killed thousand of people and who can't be locked up, you need to act.) , closing Arkham and tell to the government that Gotham can not have this ticking bomb in his city anymore. Without Arkham and the rogue galleries, a lot of the problem disapear.
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-09-2016 at 11:11 PM.

BANNED

Death penalty, have internal affairs have a field day with the police dept. and deal directly with the Justice League to clean the place, and wouldnt bail on them at the first sign of troubles, understanding its going to get much worse before it gets better.

Quit and take my talents to South Beach. Fixing that city is like trying to build a wooden puppet out of tissues.

If I was mayor I would probably be killed the second I step into my office for the first time.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

So if I were mayor of Gotham, and presumably survived one night in office, I would:

- Form a positive working relationship with Bruce Wayne. If I want to makes sure something gets done in Gotham, and done right, I want Wayne Industries on my side.

- Give Commissioner Gordon a pretty much free reign to do what he feels is best to enforce the law in Gotham and improve the police force.

- While I may not publicly condone vigilantism, I would respect the effectiveness and necessity of The Batman and his associates and allow them relative freedom to do their jobs while making sure they cooperate with the GCPD.

- Send a lot of funding to Arkham Asylum to both beef up security to prevent inmates from breaking out and ensure that those in need of it receive the best treatment possible.

- Find a way to get The Joker on death row.

- Pass laws that make it harder for The Penguin to operate his "legitimate" businesses.

Incredible Member

Death penalty. If there was ever a place that needed an express lane for it, it would be Gotham. Would pretty much make sure that people like Zsasz and Joker, who are psychotic and habitual serial killers, would just be taken to be executed the moment they're arrested. You can't rehabilitate them and I personally would not jeopardize the rest of the city or waste their money trying to. On that same note tear down Arkham as it clearly serves no purpose other than being a motel six for the majority of Batman's rogue gallery. If someone wants to claim insanity fine, but one of two things is going to happen. They'll either be sent to Blackgate with the general populous, or they'll just be executed flat out depending on the nature of their crime like any other rabid animal.

Build another prison apart from Blackgate for the sole purpose of housing less violent criminals like Catwoman.

Fortify the hell out Blackgate to deal with the fact its just their to keep Batman's rogue gallery in line, that being said be sure to have competent guards willing to do what's necessary to keep inmates from escaping in the event of riots/breakouts. None of that nonlethal crap. Treat criminals like criminals. If you're in Blackgate you're clearly there for a reason. No special privileges, no free time to study, no contact with the outside world whatsoever. Inmates are completely cut off.

Astonishing Member

Depends on which version.

In something like the Nolanverse Gotham, passing a law like the Harvey Dent Act actually worked.

If you're taking any of the comic-book version though...oh boy!

Here are a few things I WOULD do though-

-Ensure that the hardcore 'super-villains' and psychopaths are shipped out of Gotham either to another more secure prison in another city or to Belle Reve (where Waller will deal with them in her own way).

-A standing kill order on the Joker. Police have the authority to put a bullet in his head the second he's seen anywhere outside Arkham. And if he's caught the next time, he'll be turned over to the Feds (where hopefully he'll be dealt with as a terrorist).

-A major funding boost to the GCPD. If required donations would be accepted from 'legit' businesses like Wayne Enterprises.

-Letting go of all known and proven corrupt police officers, bureaucrats, judges etc.

-Incentivize massive urban investment in low-income, crime-ridden areas like Park Row (aka Crime Alley), the Narrows etc. and lend support to initiatives like Leslie Thompkins clinic.

-Look the other way when it comes to Commissioner Gordon's 'special' relationship with Batman, and when necessary, while maintaining plausible deniability, enlist the aid of Batman to deal with major crime crises.

-Arkham Asylum to be seriously refurbished and used only as a psychiatric facility for genuinely mentally ill non-criminal or mildly criminal patients.

Realistically, in the DCU though, the mayor should just call in the Justice League to fix things and not give a **** about Batman's objectives. But that's never gonna happen since it damages the sanctity of the Batman franchise. The measures I've listed though includes stuff that actually would make for interesting stories within the context of the Batman mythos.

To fix Gotham, one would need at least state-level power. But, as a mayor...
    1 - Take Joker, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and other criminal madmen as far away as possible from Gotham. If necessary, exchange inmates with other facilities. Even locked inside Arkham, they spread a shadow of fear over the city.
    2 - Total, absolute and complete zero tolerance on corruption. Call in the CIA, Army, FBI, Interpol, everybody to get ride of dirty cops and shady business.
    3 - Start on a small area, let's say, 5 x 5 blocks. Send the GCPD full force to clean the area of gangs and troublemakers. Zero tolerance, for now.
    4 - Create a taskforce with Wayne Enterprise, NGOs and Religious authorities to occupy the space of the gangs.
    5 - Create community agents and policemen, as in the Cure Violence project (google it, it's very interesting). This police force should not carry guns, to pass the message of trust in the comunity, and that they are all in the same side, with no fear, to fight the enemy. Repeat 3 to 5 in another area, and so on.
    6 - give fiscal incentives to whoever gives a honest job to ex-gangsters and other troubled individuals.
    7 - Develop with Wayne enterprises and other good bussines folk a pride focus for the city. Some cities do this with art festivals, marathons and other sports events. Gothan have the Joker and the Flying Graysons. So maybe an international Circus Festival would halp cure these wounds. Show gothamites they don't need to fear clowns no more.
    8 - Stop using the Batsign. The people must feel the oficial authorities and the oficial authorities only are on control of the city.
    9 - Work with the state government to legalize cannabis, gambling and maybe prostituition, to further de-fund gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So if I were mayor of Gotham, and presumably survived one night in office, I would:

- Form a positive working relationship with Bruce Wayne. If I want to makes sure something gets done in Gotham, and done right, I want Wayne Industries on my side.

- Give Commissioner Gordon a pretty much free reign to do what he feels is best to enforce the law in Gotham and improve the police force.

- While I may not publicly condone vigilantism, I would respect the effectiveness and necessity of The Batman and his associates and allow them relative freedom to do their jobs while making sure they cooperate with the GCPD.

- Send a lot of funding to Arkham Asylum to both beef up security to prevent inmates from breaking out and ensure that those in need of it receive the best treatment possible.

- Find a way to get The Joker on death row.

- Pass laws that make it harder for The Penguin to operate his "legitimate" businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Death penalty. If there was ever a place that needed an express lane for it, it would be Gotham. Would pretty much make sure that people like Zsasz and Joker, who are psychotic and habitual serial killers, would just be taken to be executed the moment they're arrested. You can't rehabilitate them and I personally would not jeopardize the rest of the city or waste their money trying to. On that same note tear down Arkham as it clearly serves no purpose other than being a motel six for the majority of Batman's rogue gallery. If someone wants to claim insanity fine, but one of two things is going to happen. They'll either be sent to Blackgate with the general populous, or they'll just be executed flat out depending on the nature of their crime like any other rabid animal.

Build another prison apart from Blackgate for the sole purpose of housing less violent criminals like Catwoman.

Fortify the hell out Blackgate to deal with the fact its just their to keep Batman's rogue gallery in line, that being said be sure to have competent guards willing to do what's necessary to keep inmates from escaping in the event of riots/breakouts. None of that nonlethal crap. Treat criminals like criminals. If you're in Blackgate you're clearly there for a reason. No special privileges, no free time to study, no contact with the outside world whatsoever. Inmates are completely cut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Depends on which version.

In something like the Nolanverse Gotham, passing a law like the Harvey Dent Act actually worked.

If you're taking any of the comic-book version though...oh boy!

Here are a few things I WOULD do though-

-Ensure that the hardcore 'super-villains' and psychopaths are shipped out of Gotham either to another more secure prison in another city or to Belle Reve (where Waller will deal with them in her own way).

-A standing kill order on the Joker. Police have the authority to put a bullet in his head the second he's seen anywhere outside Arkham. And if he's caught the next time, he'll be turned over to the Feds (where hopefully he'll be dealt with as a terrorist).

-A major funding boost to the GCPD. If required donations would be accepted from 'legit' businesses like Wayne Enterprises.

-Letting go of all known and proven corrupt police officers, bureaucrats, judges etc.

-Incentivize massive urban investment in low-income, crime-ridden areas like Park Row (aka Crime Alley), the Narrows etc. and lend support to initiatives like Leslie Thompkins clinic.

-Look the other way when it comes to Commissioner Gordon's 'special' relationship with Batman, and when necessary, while maintaining plausible deniability, enlist the aid of Batman to deal with major crime crises.

-Arkham Asylum to be seriously refurbished and used only as a psychiatric facility for genuinely mentally ill non-criminal or mildly criminal patients.

Realistically, in the DCU though, the mayor should just call in the Justice League to fix things and not give a **** about Batman's objectives. But that's never gonna happen since it damages the sanctity of the Batman franchise. The measures I've listed though includes stuff that actually would make for interesting stories within the context of the Batman mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    To fix Gotham, one would need at least state-level power. But, as a mayor...
    1 - Take Joker, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and other criminal madmen as far away as possible from Gotham. If necessary, exchange inmates with other facilities. Even locked inside Arkham, they spread a shadow of fear over the city.
    2 - Total, absolute and complete zero tolerance on corruption. Call in the CIA, Army, FBI, Interpol, everybody to get ride of dirty cops and shady business.
    3 - Start on a small area, let's say, 5 x 5 blocks. Send the GCPD full force to clean the area of gangs and troublemakers. Zero tolerance, for now.
    4 - Create a taskforce with Wayne Enterprise, NGOs and Religious authorities to occupy the space of the gangs.
    5 - Create community agents and policemen, as in the Cure Violence project (google it, it's very interesting). This police force should not carry guns, to pass the message of trust in the comunity, and that they are all in the same side, with no fear, to fight the enemy. Repeat 3 to 5 in another area, and so on.
    6 - give fiscal incentives to whoever gives a honest job to ex-gangsters and other troubled individuals.
    7 - Develop with Wayne enterprises and other good bussines folk a pride focus for the city. Some cities do this with art festivals, marathons and other sports events. Gothan have the Joker and the Flying Graysons. So maybe an international Circus Festival would halp cure these wounds. Show gothamites they don't need to fear clowns no more.
    8 - Stop using the Batsign. The people must feel the oficial authorities and the oficial authorities only are on control of the city.
    9 - Work with the state government to legalize cannabis, gambling and maybe prostituition, to further de-fund gangs.

Wow these are epic thought out responses. Me Personally If I was in control

I would strengthen the police force with military grade weaponry and training. 1 in 5 cops would have a mech suit similar to the one Gordon used to wear
    (you never know when a random war might break out or the court of the owls or league of assassins might show up)

I would let Batman and his family do there thing, but I would retain a watchful eye on them. (Especially Jason) I'll also create a Special task force to try and take them down if need be.

I would pass a law that would make anyone who commits mass murderous terrorist acts will get the death penalty if locked up or shoot on site if missing.
    (Joker and people like him Needs to Disappear) and ace chemicals if getting destroyed too can't have anymore swimming accidents...

I would create more jobs bring more prosperity to the poor people of gotham and even create a program to allow ex criminals to better themselves and even get a good job.

All police officers are to be screened every month to see if there mental state is healthy and to see if everything is in order with them.

and lastly Make security tighter in arkham and figure out a way to improve mental rehabilitation

#BATSQUAD

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lhynn View Post
    Death penalty, have internal affairs have a field day with the police dept. and deal directly with the Justice League to clean the place, and wouldnt bail on them at the first sign of troubles, understanding its going to get much worse before it gets better.
    As mayor you do not have the power to introduce the death penalty. Also, Gotham has the death penalty, the Joker has been sentenced to death at least once (Batman saved him, of course). Nevermind that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent in reality, and would work even worse in a superhero universe where you can just come back to life six months or so later.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    (Batman saved him, of course).
    What? seriously Lol. When?

#BATSQUAD

Invincible Member

Fire Commissioner Gordon