Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Are Your Thoughts on Batman Son of The Demon?

Son of the Demon was a graphic novel that was part of the late 80s wave of "darker and grittier" Batman comics post Dark Knight Returns. Unlike comics from that era that are considered classics today like DKR, the Killing Joke, and a Death in the Family, this has fallen to the wayside.

A shame because Son of the Demon one of the best Batman comics I've ever read.

The comic brings a lot of novel ideas to the table for Batman, seeing an almost father-son like bond grow between Bruce and Ra's Al Ghul as well as Batman trying to train the League of Assassins in unarmed combat. It doesn't hurt that it falls under my favorite category of Batman stories, taking place outside of Gotham, often feeling more James Bond than Batman.

If Jerry Bingham was more prolific, I have no doubt in my mind that his name would be brought up when discussing the best Batman artists. Bingham's fight scenes are kinetic and his anatomy perfect. His line work and use of shadows is like a cross between Gene Colan and Barry Windsor Smith.

When tracking this book down, I would recommend getting the original larger sized version as opposed to the later, smaller reprints. In the 1980s Marvel, DC and other American comic publishers experimented with graphic novels the size of European albums, something I wish they continued with.

My only major critique is that multiple points in the book, Batman gives his whole "killing is wrong" spiel that you would come to expect, but throughout the course of the story I would argue indirectly murders some criminals when he let's a hostage taker get sprayed with acid, causes a helicopter to crash, and a moment towards the end that I won't spoil. Really weird for a Batman story.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-05-2022 at 10:35 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I enjoy Son of the Demon very much.

I agree it has a James Bond feel and global stakes that fit the classic Batman/Ra's Al Ghul dynamic. Batman, Ra's and Talia all play off each other very well and it's one of my favourite examinations of their shared dynamics.

Ra's is a character that, for me, only works as a rare and almost conceptual foe, he's always out there and could strike at any moment with any victory being short lived and ultimately a single battle in a centuries long campaign. He has a whole globe-spanning operation to oversee and many plans in the works that sometimes Batman forced to be part of. His weakness is his daughter, which is the only reason he engaged with Batman in the first place (and then was impressed himself). He is not fixated on Batman but sees him as a tool for his ultimate goal. All this is on display here.

I have always loved Bruce's turn on finding out Talia is pregnant. I love that he suddenly realises this is something he desperately wants and immediately starts hoping to carry on and honour the Wayne name, even keeping the child (and by association Talia) far away from the dangers he has faced. It plays so well on his trauma from losing his parents he immediately becomes over protective (and a jerk) at the prospect of having his own family.

It's actually one of my problems with Damian as a concept, as I just don't believe Bruce would just be fine with Damian being like himself.

The art is excellent throughout.

I kind of consider it continuity adjacent. As you say, Batman is too loose with his no kill rule. But it's still one of my favourite Batman/Ra's/Talia stories.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Amazing artwork but I remember nothing about the story except the beginning and the end, but if it's as James Bond as you guys said, that explains it. I wasn't interested in Batman stories without colorful costumed characters at the time, even when I didn't read this as a kid. Batman Begins was my least favorite movie at the time because it's less colorful than Burton and Schumacher.
    I'll pick it up again sometime

Extraordinary Member

It's good, and I think it stands out more now than when it did when it was written. It's essentially a 70s Batman story told in a post- DKR-Year One world, so it has the more serious interpretation of Batman of Denny O'Neil but without being overly dark like most Batman stories of its era and since. It has the classic versions of Ra's and especially Talia before Morrison character assassinated her. It might be the last big Batman story outside the DCAU to have that tone of being serious without being super dark.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    My only major critique is that multiple points in the book, Batman gives his whole "killing is wrong" spiel that you would come to expect, but throughout the course of the story I would argue indirectly murders some criminals when he let's a hostage taker get sprayed with acid, causes a helicopter to crash, and a moment towards the end that I won't spoil. Really weird for a Batman story.
    I liked the whole Demon trilogy, and this one is probably the most compelling of the three, but I agree about this point - Batman seems very oddly cavalier about all the murder and death going on around him in the book.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Batman seems very oddly cavalier about all the murder and death going on around him in the book.
    And that's not an accident. Batman Annual #8 "The Messiah of the Crimson Sun" (1982, by Barr) has Batman outright kill (deliberately disintegrates) Ra's. (in my continuity, I have to pretend Batman only does this because he knows/feels certain Ra's will return. I actually quite enjoy Batman Annual 8 despite this terrible choice by Barr)

I highly suspect Barr simply has more of a Golden Age view of Batman's views about killing. Because he frequently, constantly walks Batman right up to that line or over it. (Also Batman Year Two put a gun back in Batman's hand, another Golden Age nod by Barr)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-06-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

While I loved Barr's run w/Alan Davis, I do remember at least one occasion where Bats used a perp as a human shield. Even back when I first read it in the '80s/early '90s that struck me as at least mildly shocking.

As for the topic at hand, I do have fond memories of it, but that also could be from looking at it through nostalgia lenses.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    And that's not an accident. Batman Annual #8 "The Messiah of the Crimson Sun" (1982, by Barr) has Batman outright kill (deliberately disintegrates) Ra's. (in my continuity, I have to pretend Batman only does this because he knows/feels certain Ra's will return. I actually quite enjoy Batman Annual 8 despite this terrible choice by Barr)

I highly suspect Barr simply has more of a Golden Age view of Batman's views about killing. Because he frequently, constantly walks Batman right up to that line or over it. (Also Batman Year Two put a gun back in Batman's hand, another Golden Age nod by Barr)
    Interesting. Thanks for the information! I have to admit, my knowledge of pre-Crisis stuff is very limited. And I have found some really interesting Ra's stories - the one about Wolfman where Lazarus injections keep Talia from rapidly aging - now there's some lore-stretching information for my head!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Interesting. Thanks for the information! I have to admit, my knowledge of pre-Crisis stuff is very limited.
    An excerpt, regarding Batman Ann #8:
    https://whatculture.com/comics/10-ti...too-far?page=7

And I have found some really interesting Ra's stories - the one about Wolfman where Lazarus injections keep Talia from rapidly aging - now there's some lore-stretching information for my head!
    You describe this generously...the Wolfman story actually goes as far as revealing that Talia has in fact been a very old woman this whole entire time (that Batman has known her) and those long-time injections had, long ago, stopped her normal aging. (Obviously, that part did not end up canon for long)

It was like something right out of a Hammer film (and I love Hammer films, but not this reveal).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-07-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

An excerpt, regarding Batman Ann #8:
    https://whatculture.com/comics/10-ti...too-far?page=7

You describe this generously...the Wolfman story actually goes as far as revealing that Talia has in fact been a very old woman this whole entire time (that Batman has known her) and those long-time injections had, long ago, stopped her normal aging. (Obviously, that part did not end up canon for long)

It was like something right out of a Hammer film (and I love Hammer films, but not this reveal).
    I was not a huge fan of the Wolfman story. I didn't enjoy the worldbuilding contortions, and the characters were just too weird and unlikeable. And yeah, I know that Talia is a villain, but...dunno. It just didn't engage me like Son of the Demon did.

That annual sounds WACKY.

I was not a huge fan of the Wolfman story. I didn't enjoy the worldbuilding contortions, and the characters were just too weird and unlikeable. And yeah, I know that Talia is a villain, but...dunno. It just didn't engage me like Son of the Demon did.
    I sorta agree. Wolfman's story (like Batman 330-335 "The Lazarus Affair") is just...all over the place, and too wacky with the Talia reveal. The only thing that's kinda interesting or fun about it is that it's a very much James Bond-ish (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) Batman story.

Barr's Batman Annual #8 (with Batman murdering Ra's) is actually a much better Ra's story than Wolfman's and Barr's story is rather James Bond-ish as well.

I sorta agree. Wolfman's story (like Batman 330-335 "The Lazarus Affair") is just...all over the place, and too wacky with the Talia reveal. The only thing that's kinda interesting or fun about it is that it's a very much James Bond-ish (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) Batman story.

Barr's Batman Annual #8 (with Batman murdering Ra's) is actually a much better Ra's story than Wolfman's and Barr's story is rather James Bond-ish as well.
    There was a general sense of James-Bondness about Batman in the 70s and early 80s is what I hear!

Son of the Demon is a lovely book that has several really memorable scenes and bits of dialogue. Its weakness is the same as a lot of Mike W. Barr’s Batman stories - it’s poorly plotted. Characters do things that make no sense for them just because that’s what the story demands. Batman’s going to abandon Gotham and join Ra’s on a whim? Sure. And Ra’s says that in order to do that Batman has to do the deed with Talia? Yea, what dad hasn’t done that. And Batman’s cool with it? I mean… sure?

With that said, the story conveys a real sense of raw emotion and heartbreak. You feel it for Batman in the end, in the last shot of him in the rain - “Commissioner, it already has.”
    Cheers - CL

There was a general sense of James-Bondness about Batman in the 70s and early 80s is what I hear!
    It's not like so many stories felt like James Bond. Mostly Ra's stories, but occasionally you'd get some additional stories (some with main Batman villains) that had some international spy/geopolitics/international terrorism/Cold War touch to them.

Moench's pre-COIE run in the 80s felt like it was the Batman version of the daily soap operas some.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-08-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Son of the Demon is a lovely book that has several really memorable scenes and bits of dialogue. Its weakness is the same as a lot of Mike W. Barr’s Batman stories - it’s poorly plotted. Characters do things that make no sense for them just because that’s what the story demands. Batman’s going to abandon Gotham and join Ra’s on a whim? Sure. And Ra’s says that in order to do that Batman has to do the deed with Talia? Yea, what dad hasn’t done that. And Batman’s cool with it? I mean… sure?

With that said, the story conveys a real sense of raw emotion and heartbreak. You feel it for Batman in the end, in the last shot of him in the rain - “Commissioner, it already has.”
    Couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, Bingham is a legend (XD)