View Poll Results: Which is your Favorite?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce x Dick

57 40.14%
  • Dick x Damian

53 37.32%
  • Bruce x Tim

20 14.08%
  • Bruce x Jason

3 2.11%
  • Bruce x Steph

2 1.41%
  • Bruce x Damian

5 3.52%
  • Bruce x Carrie

2 1.41%
  • Jean Paul x Tim

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Great question!

1. Bruce and Stephanie

Stephanie Brown is my favorite character, and her training, editorially mandated axeing or no, is still some of my favorite stuff. Her run-in with Zsasz at Batman's side is full of rich nuance and cheer - similar to Dick, but with her own unique flavor. She also has some of Jason's rage, which Bruce helps to temper. I personally reject the idea that she is the most underqualified - like n52 Tim, she was an accomplished gymnast before her time as Spoiler, and her skills impressed Selina Kyle in Catwoman #34, even after she was fired as Robin.

2. Dick and Damian

I dislike Grant Morrison's actual writing of these two, but the conception and execution of this duo is perfection. Whether it's Bryan Q. Miller in Batgirl, or Kyle Higgins and Scott Snyder in Gates of Gotham, the contrast between a lighter Batman and a darker Robin is genius.

3. Bruce and Tim

Some have said that Tim is too much like Batman to be as interesting as his predecessors, but I actually think that Tim, in both post-Crisis and post-Flashpoint incarnations, is actually very much different enough. Tim is a great detective, and works incredibly hard at the physical side of Robin, but I love his combination of loyalty and distance. Whether it's the concern and attention he shows to Bruce during Batman Eternal, or his determination to find the truth first in Bruce Wayne: Murderer, he's always struggling to find the right balance between his love and loyalty to Batman and what he stands for, and his own judgment.

4. Bruce and Damian

I totally agree that these two are too similar to really provide much contrast. I appreciate Bruce and Damian's growing together in Tomasi and Gleason's strong run, but they are both so selfish and similar that they don't provide the real counter to each other that I think a Robin really needs to provide for Batman.

5. Bruce and Dick

Confession: I've never really read anything of these two in continuity outside of Batman and Robin Eternal's flashbacks, not exactly the most stellar of examples. I love both individually, but I prefer Dick as his own man.

6. Bruce and Jason

Pretty much the same situation for me as with Dick as Robin, and similarly, I prefer Jason as Red Hood (except when written by Morrison. Because really?)

7. Bruce and Carrie Kelly

Great fun, but Miller didn't give Carrie enough focus for me to care. I do like their relationship in DKIII, but until that story's done, I don't know that it makes quite enough of a difference in rating.

8. Jean Paul Valley and Tim

Haha, this one's a joke, right? Did they ever actually work together as Batman and Robin? I liked their friendship both under Batman, but they were never really partners, I thought.

Bonus question; Which Dynamic Duo team do you think would make for an interesting pair that has never happened?

Cass and Steph, with Cass taking on the lead Bat role in Gotham, and Steph filling a strong partner role as Robin or Batgirl. I don't ship them romantically, but their friendship was consistently a fantastic thing (when Cass wasn't being terrible and knocking Steph out "for her own good.") The Damion Scott Solo issue where Cass trained Steph as Robin is really sweet, and their training sessions in Batgirl were adorable.

Steph and Damian - technically, it did happen! In Steph's Batgirl run, she acted as big sister in an incredibly adoreable (and effective) issue, and even got Damian to act like the kid he needed to be. This dynamic is sorely missed, and other writers have tried (with varying degrees of success) to fulfill it, such as Tom King with Duke Thomas, or Pat Gleason with Maya Ducard. None of them quite have the fury-tempered hope of Steph to contrast with the cruelly-accelerated cynical nature of Damian, though.

Every single Robin! In the Batman: The Brave and the Bold issue #13 where the Phantom Stranger brings all six Robins together to fight for Batman!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    3. Bruce and Tim

Some have said that Tim is too much like Batman to be as interesting as his predecessors, but I actually think that Tim, in both post-Crisis and post-Flashpoint incarnations, is actually very much different enough. Tim is a great detective, and works incredibly hard at the physical side of Robin, but I love his combination of loyalty and distance. Whether it's the concern and attention he shows to Bruce during Batman Eternal, or his determination to find the truth first in Bruce Wayne: Murderer, he's always struggling to find the right balance between his love and loyalty to Batman and what he stands for, and his own judgment.
    Imo Bruce and Tim (with the exception of a hand full of stories pre knight fall) didn't really form an Dynamic Duo in continuity. Since roughly Knightfall Tim was more written as solo hero like Nightwing or Batgirl (or Dick during his time as Robin in collage) and not really as Bruce partner.

BANNED

It's a tough one but I went with Bruce and Tim. Yeah Tim was more of a solo hero than a sidekick even early on, but I think his relationship and interactions with Bruce were pretty good anyway. Bruce and Dick is the iconic duo, but most of those Batman and Robin stories are from decades ago, back when comics were silly and ridiculous and not meant to be taken seriously. I might have liked Dick and Damian but I had issues with the setup for their partnership that kind of ruined it for me.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Bruce & Dick
    Dick & Damian
    Bruce & Damian

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Bruce & Dick
    Dick & Damian
    Bruce & Damian
    And you have it ever so correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Imo Bruce and Tim (with the exception of a hand full of stories pre knight fall) didn't really form an Dynamic Duo in continuity. Since roughly Knightfall Tim was more written as solo hero like Nightwing or Batgirl (or Dick during his time as Robin in collage) and not really as Bruce partner.
    But didn't we still see plenty of them working together and interacting despite Tim having his own solo? I recall quite a few issues of No Man's Land where Bruce and Tim were out together, and even a few issues of Tim's book that showed him out on patrol with Bruce.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But didn't we still see plenty of them working together and interacting despite Tim having his own solo? I recall quite a few issues of No Man's Land where Bruce and Tim were out together, and even a few issues of Tim's book that showed him out on patrol with Bruce.
    Agreed - I feel like even though in his own title he was probably majority solo, he had a lot of Dynamic Duo moments, like the beginning of Grant Morrison's run.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

All-New Member

My listing would be as follows:

Bruce & Tim

The longest running duo post Crisis. I loved watching Tim develop as a hero under Bruce's mentorship while also developing his own identity.

Dick & Damian

Loved the dynamic between the two.

Dick & Tim

Tim working under his idol with Dick putting serious effort into becoming the "big brother" to Robin for the first time. Dick made a bit of an attempt with Jason but there was still the underlying resentment with Bruce taking his role/identity from him.

Bruce & Steph

Loved Steph's sassy teasing of Bruce. Bruce was more tolerable with Steph than he was in his solo adventures.

Bruce & Carrie

Carrie & Bruce's partnership is one of the few things I like about Miller's stories.

Bruce & Dick

The original dynamic duo but the most exposure I had to them working as a duo were the cartoons and the Batman 1960s' tv show. I started reading comics when Dick was leading the new Teen Titans and transforming into Nightwing so not much in the way of actual comics exposure.

Bruce & Jason

I read a few months of pre-Crisis Jason - mainly during the Batman/Catwoman romance. I've read most of Jason's post-crisis appearances. The standout moment, in my mind, of the duo is when Bruce & Jason tracked down Two-Face and Jason turned down the chance for revenge. I remember Bruce's pride in him. Then we had "A Death In The Family" and for a long time Jason existed only to be Bruce's biggest regret.

Bruce & Damian

The duo has a few moments but Damian is better with Dick.

Dynamic Duos I would have liked to seen:

Jason & Tim
    Steph & Damian
    Tim & Damian
    Damian & Mia from Gotham Academy

Speaking of dick and damian, do people in general know that damian is bruce's son?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Speaking of dick and damian, do people in general know that damian is bruce's son?
    Like non superhero people, no. I don't think so.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-14-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Incredible Member

Bruce and Dick hands down!

BANNED

I think Stephanie has unique status of having held the mantle of both Robin and batgirl.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

1. Dick and Damian- loved their inverted roles and I could have kept reading them as the Dynamic Duo indefinitely. I was sad to see it end.

2. Bruce and Jason- They were the Dynamic Duo at the time I started buying comics for myself on a regular basis and Jay is after all my favorite Robin.

3. Bruce and Dick- And the original of course.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Bruce and Carrie
    Bruce and Damian
    Dick and Damian
    Bruce and Jason
    Bruce and Tim

Never cared for Dick Grayson as Robin or Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I think Stephanie has unique status of having held the mantle of both Robin and batgirl.
    Well, Dick Grayson was known for dressing up as a girl.