Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Doesn't gel for me either that they're all up for it, no question asked. Hippolyta felt like mad dictator material, the amazons suicidal cult members.

Idk, perhaps if she introduced them to the idea that this is the sort of weapons that are used in the world of man, and asking them if they're up for it --to dodge a bullet. Could'v helped if someone of them just said "No not for me. That's just insane".
    They know what the gun is, clearly; there'd be no reason to explain it to them. Plus, the three in question were the finalists in a huge contest; obviously they've brave types.

Incidentally, I had never really thought of Io from Rucka's original run as a warrior type, so it was interesting to see her make it that far.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    They know what the gun is, clearly; there'd be no reason to explain it to them. Plus, the three in question were the finalists in a huge contest; obviously they've brave types.
    Still she needs to explain to them that a gun is like an arrow but louder, smaller and faster. And then expects them to try to parry it.

All they have to say to that is: "Yes, my queen."

Doesn't sound very brave to me. Just mental.

With all the emphasis on how Diana leaving the Island means she can't go back, it seems like that must be setting up present day Diana to get back there for the first time in ten years, which would be quite a dramatic payoff -- and also basically wipe out all the previous stories in this continuity.

This is probably the most utopian depiction of the Amazons. Usually there is tension between Hippolyta and Wonder Woman in the origin because her mother does not wish to exile her daughter. This is why Wonder Woman entered the competition masked. I do think there is something missing because of this.

Also there was some nice Baneposting in this issue. Steve Trevor mentioning that he is a big guy as he is about to board a plane, a plane that had crashed earlier. Good one, Rucka.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

If that's how the movie is gonna play out i'll be very happy! I liked their outfits too

The only thing I would maybe change is I wish Hyppolita was more reluctant to communicating with/sending Diana to man's world.

I like that part of her character, and it adds a little conflict. But I also like how she knows Diana cannot be stopped haha

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Doesn't gel for me either that they're all up for it, no question asked. Hippolyta felt like mad dictator material, the amazons suicidal cult members. Not hard to imagine her asking them to jump of a cliff for whatever reasons.

Idk, perhaps if she introduced them to the idea that this is the sort of weapons that are used in the world of man, and asking them if they're up for it --to dodge a bullet. Could'v helped if someone of them just said "No not for me. Sorry, but this is just insane.".
    I think the point of the gun, is total surprise. They will be going up against totally new and unpredictable things when they arrive in Man's World. Which means they will need to adapt and think instantaneously. I think Hippolyte knows what her Amazons can and cannot accomplish with their speed and strength. Nor do I believe that she doesn't think they will be healed or that she was shooting to maim and kill. They clearly studied the gun before the contest and figured out what it can do.
    Richard Alexander

Fantastic Member

Thank You Greg Rucka. What a gift you have given us fans. The Love Rucka and Scott have for this character shines through each panel and each word. This is shaping up to be possibly the best run from a team on Wonder Woman in it's entire history. For me it was just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You're almost scared to death when a pistol goes off, but you very easily rebuild and hot rod a plane.

While it's fine that most folks like it, that just does not work in my head.

Let alone that Diana can block a bullet when the other Amazons almost jumped up and ran when one went off.
    I don't get the disconnect there unless we are assuming that to be technologically advanced those advancements must center on and maintain similar vectors around weapons development. I know that the arms race has been a major factor in the development of technology and medicines for us but I don't see that as the ****only**** path. In a world where Amazons and Aliens are commonplace surely there is room for alternative paths of development in technology?

So what's the consensus? Is Diana no longer immortal post REBIRTH?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    So what's the consensus? Is Diana no longer immortal post REBIRTH?
    I think we only conclude that if her immortality stems from her being an Amazon then that could be the case. But nothing in the story precludes some other means of immortality. I think there are means by which she can have it but I don't think I will like the auspices under which she enjoys it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This issue was pure bliss. It's like DC actually listened to its customers complaints and requests from the last few years. We have noble, peaceful Amazons who are technologically advanced. Diana and her mother have a great relationship. Diana wins the contest out of duty not because she can't wait to rebel and find her "ticket" off of the island. The gods are mysterious and actually seem uber-powerful. Steve it admirable and tough yet man enough to cry in front of a female. Scott's version of the costume is perfect IMO. You can just feel the passion that she and Rucka poured into this issue. 10/10
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I've been on the fence about this book. I love Rucka's Lazarus but have never really been able to engage with any of his other books (including his first run on WW). Still, I wanted to give Wonder Woman one more try with Rebirth. I think this issue finally won me over. Really enjoyed this and am now looking forward to the rest of this arc.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Incredible Member

I'm so glad that they've finally (?) utilised the most logical and compelling origin for the invisible jet - Steve Trevor's plane repaired and enhanced by the Amazons.

Given how the invisible jet has been treated as a joke for so many years and frequently omitted from Wonder Woman's mythology / arsenal of weapons and resources, it's really good to see it returned to its rightful place.

While I know that they only have a handful of issues to actually tell this story, I still wish this had been fleshed out a bit more fully.

The fact that it seems like the Amazons decided not to allow men to be buried on the island was a bit of a downer given the way that the rest of the issue played out.

Just a "No Explanation" of whatever it was they did to the jet.

Not that it's bad. I just wish the "Rebirth" origin had a few more "I"s and "T"s dotted.

On the upside, it is nice to see that they addressed if Diana was the only one who had seen the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The fact that it seems like the Amazons decided not to allow men to be buried on the island was a bit of a downer given the way that the rest of the issue played out.
    They sent the dead soldiers' bodies back to their families. Why is that a downer?