Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Well, we are dealing with a Pagan people here, so different beliefs, different customs.

It really did not bother me at all, and who knows, with the enhancements they added to the plane, maybe there is something in there to hold the bodies still, or some kind of energy field that stabilizes everything in there.
    Exactly.

The important thing is that they took good care of the bodies and treated them with the respect that they deserved and are going to no small trouble to see to it that they are returned to their loved ones.

You can't ask for more than that from them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

For me, these are the key lines from the comicosity review:

"No, Rucka isn’t reimagining. He’s not rejecting. He’s not carving out new space at all.

He and Scott are illuminating. So, it’s no wonder that the touching heart of this story shines so brightly off the page."
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I've been reading reviews for this issue, and so far the reception is really positive!

The general consensus is that it is a very emotional issue which paints a very good representation of who the Amazons are and how they react to a stranger, something which is really on point these days with all our conflicts surrounding races, refugees, etc...

Maybe it is that particular aspect that touches most of us, and of course it is Utopian, but it feels good to read that kind of things every now and then, and I really hope the movie will have the same tone when it comes to the Amazons, it is guaranteed that I will be tearing up!

This is such good news, because it lays to rest the theory that Diana and her origins needed to be "dirtied up" in order to garner critical favor.

You can tell a great Wonder Woman story, with all the Utopian elements firmly in place, and it can still work in this day and age.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Personally, I kept thinking about the Wonder Woman panel in Comic Con, where everyone up there just shared how much they loved Wonder Woman and wanted to do justice to the character.

And it is quite moving to see artists give their best in story telling and in the art to convey the essence of who and what Wonder Woman and her people are. I like that they are trying to kill off the stupid stereotypes about how Manhood should prevent a man from crying or being emotionally vulnerable can only be accepted from Women. Rucka also paints the picture of a people who used to be oppressed by the oustide world (if that is still canon) but still react with compassion and understanding when coming face to face with a representative of that outside world from which they have been shielded from for thousands of years.

That kind of message gives hope, and I remember Patty Jenkins saying that Wonder Woman is not only about her powers, but she is most of all about kindness, love, compassion and FORGIVENESS. She stressed a lot on "forgiveness". So we have it here, the Amazons are a good and compassionate people who will first extend their hand to help before using means of intimidations.

Astonishing Member

This was lovely.

Diana was lovely. The queen lovely. Phillipus lovely. Finding ways to incorporate the classic elements worked really nicely. Most of all I really liked how Steve came off, not just to me but to the Amazons as well. I can relate to Diana just fine but Steve's my POV character or entry point a lot of the time and I've always placed the same importance on his being in Wonder Woman comics as Lois Lane in Superman comics. Not just vital to the narrative so we can see these larger than life figures through a relatively normal person's eyes, but just so likable. Like, a wonderful example of humanity for these superbeings to have in their lives.

Good comics, Greg & Nicola.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    This is such good news, because it lays to rest the theory that Diana and her origins needed to be "dirtied up" in order to garner critical favor.

You can tell a great Wonder Woman story, with all the Utopian elements firmly in place, and it can still work in this day and age.

Agreed. Between this run and The Legend of Wonder Woman, there is solid proof that the more classical interpretation of Wonder Woman is still relevant in this day and age. No need to dirty it up with shock value aspects just to get the book noticed or to sell(i.e. sex-pirate Amazons, Diana having blades popping out of her bracelets, or whipping out her exposed breast to feed her baby).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This book is firing on all cylinders. Both stories have been fantastic. This issue was no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Agreed. Between this run and The Legend of Wonder Woman, there is solid proof that the more classical interpretation of Wonder Woman is still relevant in this day and age. No need to dirty it up with shock value aspects just to get the book noticed or to sell(i.e. sex-pirate Amazons, Diana having blades popping out of her bracelets, or whipping out her exposed breast to feed her baby).
    In fairness, the baby thing isn't really shock value. If Diana ever did become a mother, I imagine she totally would not have a problem with feeding her baby like that. I mean, is there anything more naturally feminine than that?

Sure, she may not do it in the middle of a crowded building or something, but I really don't see her as one to feel ashamed in some way about it the way certain elements of society want.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Wait, are you seriously saying breast feeding is a "Shock Value" tactic?

Ok, this was a moving issue. So much there to love. Its like an old familiar friend is back in town.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

whipping out her exposed breast to feed her baby).
    Are you serious?

Makes me quite curious, what are your opinion on the amazons in Wonder Woman Year 1 first issue engaging in orgies, dancing, drinking, Diana being shown full frontal naked while bathing naked with women (who are lusting for her) among other things then?

If feeding a baby is such a "shocking" thing...
    Last edited by borntohula; 08-11-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

In fairness, the baby thing isn't really shock value. If Diana ever did become a mother, I imagine she totally would not have a problem with feeding her baby like that. I mean, is there anything more naturally feminine than that?

Sure, she may not do it in the middle of a crowded building or something, but I really don't see her as one to feel ashamed in some way about it the way certain elements of society want.

It's not that Diana chose to breastfeed but the fact that the scene in the book was so explicit about it. I really don't get how seeing that enhanced the overall quality of Miller & Azzarello's story beyond given some straight males and lesbian women some additional eye candy. Add to the fact that both Miller and Azzarello have had Diana do other questionable things under their pen in previous stories and it seems very questionable to me why they chose to show that scene in DKIII. Look at how Diana is dressed in the DK and BAS Universes. She's wearing some of her skimpiest costumes ever and is depicted with her buttocks as the focal point of the scene she's in.

Last edited by Dr. Poison; 08-11-2016 at 03:59 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I have been enjoying both ends of this story
    but let me point out (like so many have ) the beautiful art work Nicola Scott
    has given each issue in such lavish detail