Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CW : IIM #12 And Uncanny Inhumans #12 Spoilers

Both IIM and UI deal with the aftermath of Stark Tower falling down, presumably with some casualties. Stark wants to mount reprisals but doesn't know what, and Medusa tracks down somebody who was involved in it. We are getting more and more "Deadwood" like conversations in the 616, of importance, as information like the Quiet Room exists here, and Black Bolt lives there, (much like MJ remembers Regent from RYV in Battleworld, and MJ is in IIM). Tantalising, but as yet unrelated.

Spoilers

3 weeks ago, Stark returned from the dead and confronts the board. Then he visits Riri. NOW, he sits on the rubble of Stark Towers pondering his response when Doom arrives and they teleport away, Doom saying he knows the response.

Then Medusa asks Black Bolt in Quiet Room did he blow up Starks Tower? No he didn't. Then she tracks down Lash, who did. Just then, the Ultimates confront Medusa.

End of Spoilers

Though these two books were not compelling like other more politically based CW books, they do fill in missing information regarding the effects of Stark kidnapping Ulysses, with the tantalising prospect that Doom has some plans for the Inhumans. It's interesting Doom and Maximus were on Battleworld together at the same time, and now here they are again. I wouldn't mind a confrontation between those two in this sterile setting of the ANAD, seeing as Doom wants redemption, and Maximus is again respected by the Inhumans. I hope this story lives up to those expectations.

was it really that Doom had plans for the Inhumans or was it that he had plans for Tony?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Unknown at this stage. It could be either. The inference is Doom was following Tony's train of thought of revenge against the Inhumans excesses. But there is no reason Doom couldn't be trying to distract Stark with dislocating him from his company problems, for some more constructive reason.

I'm windering if doom is going to get involved in the inhuman plot.

Invincible Iron Man #12 (AKA let's just setup some spinoffs):

I know writers these days like to portray Tony as being immature at times, but that scene with the board was too much for me.

Mary Jane not needing Tony to explain himself just because he's now her boss doesn't ring true given her trust issues. And it already seems like she's not going to have much of a job at Stark Industries with the company in dire straits and something eventually happening to Tony. Which does kind of make you wonder if there was any point to MJ joining the Iron Man supporting cast if she's not even going to stick around for very long.

I always just assumed FRIDAY was based on Pepper, rather then Tony's mind....

So I guess Amara and Tony aren't going to reunite before he gets replaced and likely disappears while Amara likely moves to Infamous Iron Man? So much for that relationship.

Did Tony completely forget about Rhodey telling him about Riri? Or did Rhodey just not elaborate? Because he acted like this is the first he's ever heard of her.

Riri is named after her dad? So her dad was named Riri? Is it a shortened version of her dad's name?

So are Iron Man armors so advanced now that they really can't run without an AI? Because Tony's been doing fine without any for years, but I guess now that the movies have really made that a thing...and given the cover for Riri's book, it looks like Tony might imprint his consciousness on an AI for Riri to use with her Iron Man suit. I wonder if that will also help her masquerade as Iron Man?

It felt like Tony was about to go all "Armor Wars" on the Inhumans before deciding against it, because Rhodey would've told him it's a bad idea. This also must take place before Civil War II #4 since there Tony is being cordial (or at least trying to be) with the Inhumans in-spite of what happened while here he's still emotionally distraught over what happened. But I wonder if it's before Banner's death or before Tony found out about how Ulysses' powers work?

Oh yeah, Tony Stark is now pals with Dr. Doom, in case nobody else knew that .

Is it just me, or did one Doom's poses here look exactly like his pose in the "Divided We Stand" cover, just sans an Iron Man helmet?

Uncanny Inhumans #12:

Pretty solid, understandable, reaction and reasoning from Medusa to being framed for a terrorist attack. Really presenting her as a strong, intelligent, ruler.

Ms. Marvel is also pretty much the one Inhuman that people almost universally like, so probably a good idea to have her play damage control and help oiut. Even if she's also got enough on her plate right now.

I really wonder how long Soule is going to draw out this separation between Black Bolt and Medusa. Is he waiting for an FF book to ship off Johnny too? Is he just going to keep building up to it for a really big moment at the climax of his run (which who knows how long it'll be)? Is it all part of Black Bolt's plan? Because I feel like there's only so much you can mine from this continued tension between them.

It's nice to see Lash and his group of quirky Inhumans again.

Maximus is already moving his pawns around the chessboard for whatever his master plan is. Though this being Maximus, I wonder if said master plan wil involve trying to force Medusa to be his queen like the old days?

I wonder if the Ultimates are going to try and arrest Medusa or hear her side of things? I would assume Carol would do the latter, and Medusa's status as a recognized monarch probably saves her from the former, but it looks like we'll still be getting a brawl in the next issue anyways. Looking forward to that though .

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Both IIM and UI deal with the aftermath of Stark Tower falling down, presumably with some casualties. Stark wants to mount reprisals but doesn't know what, and Medusa tracks down somebody who was involved in it. We are getting more and more "Deadwood" like conversations in the 616, of importance, as information like the Quiet Room exists here, and Black Bolt lives there, (much like MJ remembers Regent from RYV in Battleworld, and MJ is in IIM). Tantalising, but as yet unrelated.

Spoilers

3 weeks ago, Stark returned from the dead and confronts the board. Then he visits Riri. NOW, he sits on the rubble of Stark Towers pondering his response when Doom arrives and they teleport away, Doom saying he knows the response.

Then Medusa asks Black Bolt in Quiet Room did he blow up Starks Tower? No he didn't. Then she tracks down Lash, who did. Just then, the Ultimates confront Medusa.

End of Spoilers

Though these two books were not compelling like other more politically based CW books, they do fill in missing information regarding the effects of Stark kidnapping Ulysses, with the tantalising prospect that Doom has some plans for the Inhumans. It's interesting Doom and Maximus were on Battleworld together at the same time, and now here they are again. I wouldn't mind a confrontation between those two in this sterile setting of the ANAD, seeing as Doom wants redemption, and Maximus is again respected by the Inhumans. I hope this story lives up to those expectations.
    I'm confused as to why you're trying to connect this to Battleworld. The entire Inhumans story from Secret Wars was with alternate universe characters. Black Bolt could talk. It wasn't these versions of those characters, so how could Black Bolt remember it if it wasn't him? The idea of the Quiet Room stuck, but that was just two separate Black Bolts from two universes coming up with the same idea.

And Lash did not destroy the first Stark tower. Triton recruited Maximus to help him blow it up in the last issue, and then in this issue we see Maximus recruit Lash to help destroy a second Stark facility in Switzerland.

And did I miss something? When did Maximus gain respect from the Inhumans again? Triton went to him only because he knew Maximus would go through with his plan, and Lash is following him because he wants revenge on Medusa. But as far as I remember, the royal family and the rest of the Inhumans still don't hold him in high regard.

One of my dearest wishes is for Maria Hill to have an encounter with Victor Von Doom. Carol Danvers had already encountered Doom when she was leader of the Mighty Avengers during Initiative, and we all saw how well that went. In fact it does remind me why Carol is a leading figure in this ANAD world because Carol has already played that part before. But the way Maria Hill immediately pointed that weapon on Doom when she saw him, in nervous reflex makes me want to see a Doom/Hill meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    I'm confused as to why you're trying to connect this to Battleworld. The entire Inhumans story from Secret Wars was with alternate universe characters. Black Bolt could talk. It wasn't these versions of those characters, so how could Black Bolt remember it if it wasn't him? The idea of the Quiet Room stuck, but that was just two separate Black Bolts from two universes coming up with the same idea.

And Lash did not destroy the first Stark tower. Triton recruited Maximus to help him blow it up in the last issue, and then in this issue we see Maximus recruit Lash to help destroy a second Stark facility in Switzerland.

And did I miss something? When did Maximus gain respect from the Inhumans again? Triton went to him only because he knew Maximus would go through with his plan, and Lash is following him because he wants revenge on Medusa. But as far as I remember, the royal family and the rest of the Inhumans still don't hold him in high regard.
    I'm just following a train of thought on these subjects. It could turn out to be irrelevant, as it most times is.

The Quiet Room has me intrigued though. You say two alternate characters came up with the same idea. Then the 616 MJ Watson, who wasn't in Renew Your Vows suddenly recognises Regent of RYV, who was never in the 616 before, but translocated directly from Battleworlds RYV to the 616. Curious no?
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-04-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

Spoilers

End of Spoilers

I didn't read Invincible Iron Man, so I appreciate any context there. I'm enjoying the Iron Man/Inhuman fight that's brewing (more than the Iron Man/Ultimates fight that seems to be the main book).

I'll try to add some context for Uncanny Inhumans, since I think you're missing a little bit. Did you read Uncanny Inhumans 11? If not, [SPOILER ALERT]Lash didn't blow up Stark Tower, Triton did. Basically, one of Medusa's loyal followers (Karnak's brother, iirc) joined Maximus and betrayed her.

Also, fyi, the Quiet Room was featured in an earlier Uncanny Inhumans story this volume if you want to check it out, so it's been around a bit more post-Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It felt like Tony was about to go all "Armor Wars" on the Inhumans before deciding against it, because Rhodey would've told him it's a bad idea. This also must take place before Civil War II #4 since there Tony is being cordial (or at least trying to be) with the Inhumans in-spite of what happened while here he's still emotionally distraught over what happened. But I wonder if it's before Banner's death or before Tony found out about how Ulysses' powers work?
    I haven't heard any indication that Ulysses was rescued yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes place in that time period. If not, I certainly agree it's prior to CWII4. My take is there is a fairly significant gap between issues three and four and many of the tie-ins I've read (particularly Ultimates) takes place in that gap. This is mostly because trials in real life take a fairly significant amount of time to prepare, so I'm going to assume a gap unless I see something that contradicts it. It also gives the Ultimates time to make more saves based on Ulysses predictions (something she testified to in court but wasn't shown "on camera") and can let her build towards her behavior in #4 more naturally. But I think I'm getting far afield since I don't know which other books people have read, so I'll try to save this for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I didn't read Invincible Iron Man, so I appreciate any context there. I'm enjoying the Iron Man/Inhuman fight that's brewing (more than the Iron Man/Ultimates fight that seems to be the main book).

I'll try to add some context for Uncanny Inhumans, since I think you're missing a little bit. Did you read Uncanny Inhumans 11? If not, [SPOILER ALERT]Lash didn't blow up Stark Tower, Triton did. Basically, one of Medusa's loyal followers (Karnak's brother, iirc) joined Maximus and betrayed her.

Also, fyi, the Quiet Room was featured in an earlier Uncanny Inhumans story this volume if you want to check it out, so it's been around a bit more post-Secret Wars.

I haven't heard any indication that Ulysses was rescued yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes place in that time period. If not, I certainly agree it's prior to CWII4. My take is there is a fairly significant gap between issues three and four and many of the tie-ins I've read (particularly Ultimates) takes place in that gap. This is mostly because trials in real life take a fairly significant amount of time to prepare, so I'm going to assume a gap unless I see something that contradicts it. It also gives the Ultimates time to make more saves based on Ulysses predictions (something she testified to in court but wasn't shown "on camera") and can let her build towards her behavior in #4 more naturally. But I think I'm getting far afield since I don't know which other books people have read, so I'll try to save this for another thread.
    Thanks for heads up on the Inhumans background, and, the Quiet Room mention. Can you point me to which issues Quiet Room appeared previously please?

As to the placing of these stories, IIM and UI, I am noticing the same thing, that the court case has to have been organised over several weeks so a lot of tie-ins are going to be between issues CWII #3 and 4. And I did notice in IIM #12 that Tony returned from the "dead" 3 weeks previous to IIM #12/UI #11, before CWII, and the Tower was destroyed 3 weeks later, when Tony sat upon the rubble. That means at least 3 weeks had passed since CWII # 1 and the destruction of Stark Tower, in CWII #2, between Ulysses return and Hulks confrontation, or even during CWII #4 during Hawkeyes trial. That's been a problem for me this whole event, in that many of the tie-ins fit between pages of the main books, and not between the main books comfortably.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-04-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quiet Room appeared in Uncanny Inhumans #6-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So are Iron Man armors so advanced now that they really can't run without an AI? Because Tony's been doing fine without any for years, but I guess now that the movies have really made that a thing...and given the cover for Riri's book, it looks like Tony might imprint his consciousness on an AI for Riri to use with her Iron Man suit. I wonder if that will also help her masquerade as Iron Man?
    That thought didn't bother me...what did though, was Riri's mention of him building an AI in a cave. As far as I'm aware of, in every iteration of his origin(I think Extremis is still the most modern version?) where he makes the mark 1 in a cave out of scrap with Ho Yinsen, it's always just been the barely held together and simple mark 1, no AI. Come on, Bendis...

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    That thought didn't bother me...what did though, was Riri's mention of him building an AI in a cave. As far as I'm aware of, in every iteration of his origin(I think Extremis is still the most modern version?) where he makes the mark 1 in a cave out of scrap with Ho Yinsen, it's always just been the barely held together and simple mark 1, no AI. Come on, Bendis...
    Piloting the Mark 1 probably was about as difficult as piloting a modern fighter plane. If you are a teen without any experience or training with fighter planes or helicopters...etc., and you were determined to fly one in combat, I would probably recommend to get an A.I. to help you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Piloting the Mark 1 probably was about as difficult as piloting a modern fighter plane. If you are a teen without any experience or training with fighter planes or helicopters...etc., and you were determined to fly one in combat, I would probably recommend to get an A.I. to help you too.
    I know, I meant just the (possible) continuity error of Tony somehow making his first suit AI along with his first suit in a cave.

Supernatural Inhuman! Lucena Soares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I know, I meant just the (possible) continuity error of Tony somehow making his first suit AI along with his first suit in a cave.
    Well, it's not like she can't be wrong. Is it known to the public that the first IM armor was crap? Wouldn't your everyday civillian of the MU think that Im came out of that cave just a little rusty but still a fully functional hero? If another avenger said that i would claim an error, but to Riri, who doesn't seem to be a fangirl like KK, it's a very forggivable mistake.
    Everything Lives!