Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superwoman #1 Discussion/Spoilers thread - Buy this book

Superwoman #1 is out.

Did it meet my unrealistic expectations? Of course not, and we're only on issue #1.

spoilers:
    After the preview we got with Lois & Lana on the farm, and the news reporting on Superwoman's exploits (and a mention of how now a woman is standing up for what, presumably, a man stood for and the world will react - more of this please), we're introduced to Lex's Gestalt, a giant battle cruiser that Lex hopes to use to defend the city. Lana calls him out on militarization of the city, of the Superman symbol, and of hope, that he's not actually honoring what Superman stood for.

Something attacks the ship almost toppling it, and Lex's suit is shut down, leaving him unable to do anything. Lois shows up as Superwoman and begins helping, with Lana telling her what to do. There's a reference to Superman: The Movie, which annoyed me because I'm so tired of that reference, but that's just me.

Things get worse and Lois calls on Lana to get directly involved and help. Flashback to the farm where Lana is training Lois, and Lois mentions that Lana too got hit by the energy that erupted from New 52 Superman, and that they could do more together. Lois is also shown having nosebleeds, with Lana remarking that Clark used to get headaches while training but not nosebleeds. We're then back in the present with Lana jumping into the fray, resembling energy Superman Red, also calling herself Superwoman. Whoever launched the attack is shown from back, remarking that there are two Superwomen.

Working together they prevent the Gestalt from crashing into a bridge. We're then treated to another flashback of Lois & Lana hanging out. Lana talks about her family, starts having an anxiety attack and takes some medication for it. She says it started after Clark died, and mentions that he too used to get anxious. Lois convinces Lana to get into the Superwoman gig with her.

Lois and Lana talk to Lex about what exactly's going on, interspersed with another flashback of Lois and Lana agreeing that they can't let Lex be Superman's legacy. Lois promises Lana that they're in together and that she won't leave her, after Lana tells Lois that she needs her if she's going to do the whole Superwoman thing.

The Superwomen go to investigate the nuclear cells and find several scientists that have been torn apart. A monster suddenly attacks, and Lois gets in front of Lana to protect her. Flashback to Lana telling Lois not to make promises she can't keep, that everyone else that promised they'd be there for her ended up dying, Lois laughs it off.

The monster is getting the better of Lois, Lana jumps in and this is where if it hadn't occurred to you already, it dawns on you that for a book that's supposed to be about Lois Lane, the book's really been more about Lana, with her as the only narrator...

Red energy starts erupting from Lois, similar to what happened with New 52 Superman when he died. Lois says "Clark--?, Oh God. I understand now...it all makes se--", and then red lightning like energy erupts from her body just like with New 52 Superman, and she's left as a sand statue. Lana is left by herself facing the monster, thinking to herself that she can't do it (being Superwoman) alone.
    end of spoilers

A really good 1st issue. I'm not going to get into what I liked and disliked, but want to speculate what the ending of the issue could mean.

spoilers:
    Lois is presumably dead, but that can't really stick...can it? The covers for issues #2 and #3 show Lois, not Lana.

...But the solicits only mention Superwoman, like there's only one. Could this actually be a Lana Lang solo book instead of a Lois Lane book or a Lois/Lana book? The issue was really about Lana, more so than Lois.

Has DC and Jimenez been leading us on by promoting it as a Lois Lane book? My initial reaction was, of course not, but with Lois's last words and with Post-Crisis Lois & Clark looking like they're here to stay, I'm not so sure.

And what could Lois have been referring to when she said she understood things. That New 52 Superman didn't really die? That neither he or she were the real Lois & Clark?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 08-10-2016 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Superwoman #1 is out.

Did it meet my unrealistic expectations? Of course not, and we're only on issue #1.

spoilers:
    After the preview we got with Lois & Lana on the farm, and the news reporting on Superwoman's exploits (and a mention of how now a woman is standing up for what, presumably, a man stood for and the world will react - more of this please), we're introduced to Lex's Gestalt, a giant battle cruiser that Lex hopes to use to defend the city. Lana calls him out on militarization of the city, of the Superman symbol, and of hope, that he's not actually honoring what Superman stood for.

Something attacks the ship almost toppling it, and Lex's suit is shut down, leaving him unable to do anything. Lois shows up as Superwoman and begins helping, with Lana telling her what to do. There's a reference to Superman: The Movie, which annoyed me because I'm so tired of that reference, but that's just me.

Things get worse and Lois calls on Lana to get directly involved and help. Flashback to the farm where Lana is training Lois, and Lois mentions that Lana too got hit by the energy that erupted from New 52 Superman, and that they could do more together. Lois is also shown having nosebleeds, with Lana remarking that Clark used to get headaches while training but not nosebleeds. We're then back in the present with Lana jumping into the fray, resembling energy Superman Red, also calling herself Superwoman. Whoever launched the attack is shown from back, remarking that there are two Superwomen.

Working together they prevent the Gestalt from crashing into a bridge. We're then treated to another flashback of Lois & Lana hanging out. Lana talks about her family, starts having an anxiety attack and takes some medication for it. She says it started after Clark died, and mentions that he too used to get anxious. Lois convinces Lana to get into the Superwoman gig with her.

Lois and Lana talk to Lex about what exactly's going on, interspersed with another flashback of Lois and Lana agreeing that they can't let Lex be Superman's legacy. Lois promises Lana that they're in together and that she won't leave her, after Lana tells Lois that she needs her if she's going to do the whole Superwoman thing.

The Superwomen go to investigate the nuclear cells and find several scientists that have been torn apart. A monster suddenly attacks, and Lois gets in front of Lana to protect her. Flashback to Lana telling Lois not to make promises she can't keep, that everyone else that promised they'd be there for her ended up dying, Lois laughs it off.

The monster is getting the better of Lois, Lana jumps in and this is where if it hadn't occurred to you already, it dawns on you that for a book that's supposed to be about Lois Lane, the book's really been more about Lana, with her as the only narrator...

Red energy starts erupting from Lois, similar to what happened with New 52 Superman when he died. Lois says "Clark--?, Oh God. I understand now...it all makes se--", and then red lightning like energy erupts from her body just like with New 52 Superman, and she's left as a sand statue. Lana is left by herself facing the monster, thinking to herself that she can't do it (being Superwoman) alone.
    end of spoilers

A really good 1st issue. I'm not going to get into what I liked and disliked, but want to speculate what the ending of the issue could mean.

spoilers:
    Lois is presumably dead, but that can't really stick...can it? The covers for issues #2 and #3 show Lois, not Lana.

...But the solicits only mention Superwoman, like there's only one. Could this actually be a Lana Lang solo book instead of a Lois Lane book or a Lois/Lana book? The issue was really about Lana, more so than Lois.

Has DC and Jimenez been leading us on by promoting it as a Lois Lane book? My initial reaction was, of course not, but with Lois's last words and with Post-Crisis Lois & Clark looking like they're here to stay, I'm not so sure.

And what could Lois have been referring to when she said she understood things. That New 52 Superman didn't really die? That neither he or she were the real Lois & Clark?
    end of spoilers
    YES. Your second spoiler...I wonder the exact same thing...and I like the idea, actually...
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

YO. Did NOT expect this. So... somehow how. The mystery to what happened to Superman must be here. But I do hope that Lois comes back. I was really enjoying Lois and Lana together. I give this issue a solid 9/10.

This was my favorite Rebirth comic yet.

BANNED

These scores are earned. I'm sad that this is only a monthly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    These scores are earned. I'm sad that this is only a monthly.
    I don't think so, only dudes reviewing zzzzzzzzzzzz

not a bad issue, but a very average one

Also, it's very obvious Lena is the bad guy here.

Always Rakzo

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!

A great set-up for an interesting story which uses classic mythos like the Superman Red and Blue incarnations in a solid way. One of the best parts of this is that Jimenez managed to make Lois and Lana's interactions interesting without actually forcing a conflict (Sam Humphries could learn a lot from this for his work in Green Lanterns). The dialogue and content were also pretty enjoyable.

Most importantly, he actually managed to make this incarnation of Lois compelling and LIKABLE. Add the beautiful art and you have one of the best reads this week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Now THIS is what I'm talking about!

A great set-up for an interesting story which uses classic mythos like the Superman Red and Blue incarnations in a solid way. One of the best parts of this is that Jimenez managed to make Lois and Lana's interactions interesting without actually forcing a conflict (Sam Humphries could learn a lot from this for his work in Green Lanterns). The dialogue and content were also pretty enjoyable.

Most importantly, he actually managed to make this incarnation of Lois actually compelling and LIKABLE. Add the beautiful art and you have one of the best reads this week.
    I don't know how he made loi smore compelling and likeable, when she was just there and Lana being protagonist

Either way she's not dead. Either she comes back next issue, or my theory about her disappearing in the same way Superman did but finding out later neither of them actually died in the first place just happened WAYYY sooner than I expected. But unless the covers of #2 and #3 were placeholders and the actual covers are replaced with Lana, it'll probably be the former.

The Bizarress reminds me (well other than Bizzaro of course) of the lady in Superman III who at the end gets taken over by the super computer.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I don't know how he made loi smore compelling and likeable, when she was just there and Lana being protagonist
    I guess Lois being just there makes her more likeable for him

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Either way she's not dead.
    Not having 2 Lois Lanes running around wouldn't hurt anyone and I can see this "death" sticking.

I say she's not dead either way because either if this does "stick", it lends credence to the theory they're all the same characters, both Supermen and both Lois's. Whatever happened to the both of them it was not death. What she "understands" and what "makes sense" now is that she knows in that moment that the "new" Superman is her Superman, there was only ever one. And the Lois he is married to and has a son with, is herself.

Again, all this considering she doesn't pop back up right away next issue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I guess Lois being just there makes her more likeable for him
    yeah this is how things have been looking on internet. no much lois? 10/10

Not having 2 Lois Lanes running around wouldn't hurt anyone and I can see this "death" sticking.
    well they advertise this as a lois lane solo, I have waited forever to this. so then it become a lana solo? screw that

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I say she's not dead either way because either if this does "stick", it lends credence to the theory they're all the same characters, both Supermen and both Lois's. Whatever happened to the both of them it was not death. What she "understands" and what "makes sense" now is that she knows in that moment that the "new" Superman is her Superman, there was only ever one. And the Lois he is married to and has a son with, is herself.

Again, all this considering she doesn't pop back up right away next issue.
    The solicits are pretty vague. Honestly, the actions of getting Steel's help does sound like Lana. But I'm certain Lois isn't gone for good. It's looking like we'll get something on Superman's death, though. That'll be interesting.