Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    no, it isn't. it has all to do with Lana, to give her a book in stealth way
    With Powergirl on Earth 2, in this universe not exist repeated characters..

They have some blame... First DC introduce Superdad Family and now DC says, "we donīt want similar characters".. You are those who repeated that mistake.. worst.. you used this for replace another characters.

That hurts ... I liked the dynamic between these two.. Now Lana will absorb their powers and change? About N52 Lois... She was destined to fall.. BUT, very soon for this. some trick? At the moment I do not think that besides me of that comic..

Anyway... They eliminate this lois.. Lana met superdad before .... Then, this is an attempt to link this with Superman comics one day..
    The Fortress of Solitude belongs to supergirl, but superdad enter it ... Another attempt to link the characters.
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-11-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

It's pretty clear this is a super-hero duo book, not a Solo one. It is called Superwomans after all.

Lois getting her life force drained by a Bizarro clone hardly makes her cannon fodder. As it was her quick thinking that saved the bridge. She's clearly the leader/plainer of the team.

Lana can manipulate energy for grife's sake, Lois isn't going any where.

For me, the big appeal of this book was Lois. We knew that she probably wasn't long for this world with the "powers are killing her" angle. Though this was pretty sudden. I was hoping for more of an All-Star Superman approach to Lois. She knows she has the power and that her time is finite, so she does her best to leave the world a better place. Perhaps uses her powers to expose some great truth that saves the day. I figured Lana would be a relatively minor character. Instead, I got the reverse. I'll give it a chance to see how it plays out. You can't totally judge a story by one issue. Though this start really threw me. I wouldn't mind a book featuring Lana or a kind of team-up book with both of them. Though when it's presented like this, with a sudden switch, it does put me off a little. I'm not at all against seeing more of Lana. It's just that the solicits mislead us for a "twist" that changed the book into something I wasn't really looking for. I don't like seeing any version of Lois getting passed off like this.

Astonishing Member

I just wanted to join the thread and mention that this was a good book. The art was nice, the story felt cool. I will say that lately I feel like a parallel narrative in comics is over-used, even one done well like this one, and even knowing that you know, comic books are the best place for such a thing because of panels and coloring and the ability to distinguish past scene from present scene. But that small quibble aside, I like how this felt like the Metropolis I grew up with (via The Animated Series mostly, but also post-Crisis era comics, lots of Byrne and Kirby) but just happened to feature the "Newer" models of Lois and Lana.

Everything about having a comic starring Lois and Lana appeals to me and is something I'd hoped for forever (Lois in particular) but never did I actually care if they had any superpowers. And actually that part, while it's cool because it's a narrative device that will allow Clark's best friend and the universe's most ace of reporters to be the ones to figure out this weird Superman Death Mystery, is kind of ancillary to me compared to the thought of two amazing women headlining a comic book and all the Daily Star bits. I had a continuity quirk moment where I couldn't remember if Grant Morrison had killed off George Taylor or not - it's actually really nice to see a newsroom in a Metropolis Comic. The mention of the MCU here joins Action Comics in ensuring me that Maggie and those great Metropolis supporting cast elements will continue to be prevalent. And I like how even in his Super-trappings, Luthor here feels like TAS Luthor, sounds like Clancy Brown in my head, and has a similar sort of debacle happen to one of his big grandiose "man of the future" tech unveilings.

It feels really good. And interesting things happen in it. So I'll keep reading it. It's weird to say that applies to almost all of the Superbooks right now. None of them are like, critic-proof pieces of utter genius that are winning all the accolades with their amazingness; but there's a solidness and a commitment going on that is making Metropolis and the Superman line just a very fun place to hang out in. I'm enjoying my weekly trips to Supertown.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

I also want to say, the denseness of storytelling here is a breath of fresh air. There many only be 20 story pages, but felt like 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    It's pretty clear this is a super-hero duo book, not a Solo one. It is called Superwomans after all.
    No, it's not clear. A clearly written superhero duo book wouldn't have started with its first issue with an imbalanced focus on Lana Lang. The title of Superwoman could apply to either Lois OR Lana, so it's not clear that the title is referring to Lois. The first issue even asks "Who is Superwoman?" as if the answer is up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Everything about having a comic starring Lois and Lana appeals to me and is something I'd hoped for forever (Lois in particular) but never did I actually care if they had any superpowers.
    I'm annoyed that this book continues the trend of making Lois and Lana more similar, homogeneous, and thus less exceptional in their own rights. Lois seems poised to no longer be a reporter, but she used to be. Lana is now a reporter, when she used to be an electrical engineer in the New 52 and an archaeologist/businesswoman in other eras. Lois and Lana both have powers now, when it could have been Lana as a normal person being to Lois what she was to Clark; while Lana helped Lois with her powers, Lois could have helped Lana with her anxiety. Now there's less opportunity, if Lois survives, to have them have different individual adventures or interludes because they more or less have the same jobs and the same roles as superheroes. They've also made Lana snarky, so personality-wise they don't seem all that different either. The whole issue didn't feel balanced or complementary.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'm annoyed that this book continues the trend of making Lois and Lana more similar, homogeneous, and thus less exceptional in their own rights. Lois seems poised to no longer be a reporter, but she used to be. Lana is now a reporter, when she used to be an electrical engineer in the New 52 and an archaeologist/businesswoman in other eras. Lois and Lana both have powers now, when it could have been Lana as a normal person being to Lois what she was to Clark; while Lana helped Lois with her powers, Lois could have helped Lana with her anxiety. Now there's less opportunity, if Lois survives, to have them have different individual adventures or interludes because they more or less have the same jobs and the same roles as superheroes. They've also made Lana snarky, so personality-wise they don't seem all that different either. The whole issue didn't feel balanced or complementary.
    She's still an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    She's still an engineer.
    I know. It's irrelevant. She doesn't do it anymore as her sole profession. Does she even do it at all? Now she's a science journalist--whatever the hell that is or for god knows what reason Lana felt the need to do that career change in the midst of her grief and anxiety. My point stands. The trend is to move her closer to Lois while Lois maintains her history of reporting without being a journalist anymore. They're more similar than ever.

I know. It's irrelevant. She doesn't do it anymore as her sole profession. Does she even do it at all? Now she's a science journalist--whatever the hell that is or for god knows what reason Lana felt the need to do that career change in the midst of her grief and anxiety. My point stands. The trend is to move her closer to Lois while Lois maintains her history of reporting without being a journalist anymore. They're more similar than ever.
    The news people got her for her science know how. She's that person they turn to to help explain something complicated and dumb it down for the people. That's why she was there for the Gastault's opening. She was talking about science. Now, I respect you opinion that Lois and Lana are too similar but they seem pretty different to me. In terms of jobs, Lois is an investigative reporter while Lana is a talking head for science. In terms of roles as heroes, they got different powers. They can complement each other in that regard. It seems like Lois MIGHT be stronger but I'm not sure on that. Personality wise, I'm still not seeing it. Yes, Lana was changed in this new universe but to say she's like Lois... doesn't seem right. She acts like a farm girl while Lois is more cosmopolitan. Lois is also more courageous and instinctual while Lana relies on the science she knows and is hindered by anxiety.

The news people got her for her science know how. She's that person they turn to to help explain something complicated and dumb it down for the people. That's why she was there for the Gastault's opening. She was talking about science. Now, I respect you opinion that Lois and Lana are too similar but they seem pretty different to me. In terms of jobs, Lois is an investigative reporter while Lana is a talking head for science. In terms of roles as heroes, they got different powers. They can complement each other in that regard. It seems like Lois MIGHT be stronger but I'm not sure on that. Personality wise, I'm still not seeing it. Yes, Lana was changed in this new universe but to say she's like Lois... doesn't seem right. She acts like a farm girl while Lois is more cosmopolitan. Lois is also more courageous and instinctual while Lana relies on the science she knows and is hindered by anxiety.
    No, Lois isn't an investigative reporter. Not anymore. She has that background, but pre-FP Lois will be taking over her job. Lana's role as a reporter isn't just an accessory. She has her own place of work, boss, and supporting cast. She will have a professional life that resembles Lois' traditional one (we already saw it in this issue when SHE got to grill Lex), and the rub is that IT WASN'T EVEN NECESSARY. Why did Lana have to be made into a journalist at all, if the science/engineering works just fine and was liked already? The different powers are pretty irrelevant to the fact that, as far as I can tell, they're so similar that they get to share the same superhero name. Lois wanted to call herself Superwoman, but now it's thought that both of them are Superwoman. They can't even have their own identities as superheroes! They both fly, have super strength, and save the day. The rest is superficial. Lana is way more of a tomboy than she ever was, which is a lot more like Lois. Look, I never said they were exactly the same. What I said is that they've become more similar, and they've diluted--not wholly removed--the parts of them (investigative journalist, engineer) that made them unique.

No, Lois isn't an investigative reporter. Not anymore. She has that background, but pre-FP Lois will be taking over her job. Lana's role as a reporter isn't just an accessory. She has her own place of work, boss, and supporting cast. She will have a professional life that resembles Lois' traditional one (we already saw it in this issue when SHE got to grill Lex), and the rub is that IT WASN'T EVEN NECESSARY. Why did Lana have to be made into a journalist at all, if the science/engineering works just fine and was liked already? The different powers are pretty irrelevant to the fact that, as far as I can tell, they're so similar that they get to share the same superhero name. Lois wanted to call herself Superwoman, but now it's thought that both of them are Superwoman. They can't even have their own identities as superheroes! They both fly, have super strength, and save the day. The rest is superficial. Lana is way more of a tomboy than she ever was, which is a lot more like Lois. Look, I never said they were exactly the same. What I said is that they've become more similar, and they've diluted--not wholly removed--the parts of them (investigative journalist, engineer) that made them unique.
    I get that but this has been who she is since the new 52 started. It's not the only time a characters personality changed over the times. As for the dynamic thing, I'm saying that it doesn't really matter the powers they got cause it's the dynamic that makes it interesting. We got a book about two green lanterns. Same exact powers and name but the dynamic makes it cool. As for Lana being a reporter, I believe she was one before, but don't quote me on that.

As for whether Lois still got her job or not.... you got me there. I have no clue what they're going for. My HOPE is that she gets to keep her job but I'm just not sure. Currently stalking Jiminez's and Jurgen's twitters for clues but I'm lost and concerned.

BANNED

I get that but this has been who she is since the new 52 started. It's not the only time a characters personality changed over the times. As for the dynamic thing, I'm saying that it doesn't really matter the powers they got cause it's the dynamic that makes it interesting. We got a book about two green lanterns. Same exact powers and name but the dynamic makes it cool. As for Lana being a reporter, I believe she was one before, but don't quote me on that.

As for whether Lois still got her job or not.... you got me there. I have no clue what they're going for. My HOPE is that she gets to keep her job but I'm just not sure. Currently stalking Jiminez's and Jurgen's twitters for clues but I'm lost and concerned.
    the two green lanterns are rookies, they are on the same page as character development. completely different from lois and lana, lana completely masters her powers and help lois how to use hers. completely unbalanced

this book is a lana solo, there isn't any stakes for Lois. Lana was never a journalist on new 52

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    the two green lanterns are rookies, they are on the same page as character development. completely different from lois and lana, lana completely masters her powers and help lois how to use hers. completely unbalanced

this book is a lana solo, there isn't any stakes for Lois. Lana was never a journalist on new 52
    Lois and Lana are rookies. Lana hasn't mastered her powers. She explicitly said so. and I didn't mean in the new 52, I meant before.

Also, Baz and Cruz are NOT on the same page. Baz has been a lantern longer, had way more adventures. Honestly, he was there for some of the corps' darkest times. And he has his constructs working

Incredible Member

These fans accept and understand that New 52 Lois has an expiration date as long as New 52 Superman is considered gone for good. The problem here is that Lois fans want Lois to be written well regardless of the continuity. New 52 Lois has been poorly handled and marginalized since the New 52 launched. Superwoman was DC's last chance to fix this version of Lois before sending her off to join her continuity's Superman. So far, all her fans are seeing are the mistakes of the New 52 repeating themselves.
    Unless New 52 Lois isn't Lois or even, really, a version of Lois. I felt the callback to her "outing" Clark here and Lana punching her was meant to emotonally underscore that in spite of what Gene might have intended at the time, she's not Lois. And that will certainly make her far more expendable in the long run if the plan is to invalidate her, not just as an ongoing character but as a version of Lois.