Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Nah, it's just you that don't like her in Superwoman.
    she was on that book? i only saw a sexy lamp and lana

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    so you don't really like Lois. on the first issue of superwoman I could put a sexy lamp and nothing would change on the story
    You know, except for the parts where she chooses to be a hero and goes to get help from the one person who might be able to help her. When she took charge in a crisis, and spured her friend into actions she wasn't necessarily comfortable with...

You know, all the things the character that was not Lana Lang, did in the issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    You know, except for the parts where she chooses to be a hero and goes to get help from the one person who might be able to help her. When she took charge in a crisis, and spured her friend into actions she wasn't necessarily comfortable with...

You know, all the things the character that was not Lana Lang, did in the issue.

well nothing about who she is, why she does it, how she is dealing with superman's death and double lois and clark, she isn't a journalist anymore?

it's not about her and you didn't convinced anyone of this

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    While it may not be indicative of comic stores in general, back in April, Big Bang Comics said that their least ordered Rebirth comic with a new lead was Superwoman.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/...ng-dc-rebirth/

I hope the positive reviews encourage people who going to pass on this book, to pick it up and give it a try.
    That's my hope. This has got to be one of the most critically praised Rebirth debuts that I've seen.

BANNED

If Lois doesn't come back, then Superwoman isn't going to be all I want it to be. That might seem odd coming from someone that doesn't like Lois. A character I despise might not be fronting this book, instead a character I'm mostly indifferent to, somewhat dislike, might be the lead of the book. That's an improvement...right? One of the reasons I prefer to continue with New 52 Superman than Post-Crisis Superman is because the former comes with less bad history. Lois and Lana are a similar case because one's been more important to the Superman mythos and appeared in a lot more stories, so based on my Superman preference, it should be a no brainier for me to want the Superwoman book be led by Lana instead of Lois, if it had to be just one of them.

It's complicated.

When I was hyped for the series before issue #1 came out, I mentioned how I wanted Superwoman to confront the ugly aspects of the Superman mythos and Lois is pivotal to that. I don't think a book without Lois Lane, and one led by Lana can adequately confront how poorly women have been treated throughout the Superman mythos, and the presentation of gender. It needs to be Lois, because of her cultural and historical standing in the Superman mythos. With how meta I thought the book was going to be, I wanted New 52 Lois to realize and acknowledge the toxicity of the Superman/Clark/Lois relationship, and being critical of not just Post-Crisis Superman & Lois that exist in the New 52 Universe now, but the relationship throughout all continuities and all media, as well as basically every other Superman romance.

The chances of that happening were already close to nothing, but with Lois leading the book, I would have held out hope. A book led by Lana can't do that, because in-universe, Lois is/was a good person, and being critical of her and the Post-Crisis Superman/Lois relationship is just going to make her look really bad. What I was hoping for, was the book eventually telling us and elaborating on why, while Lois was a good person, she was an awful, insulting character. If Lois stays dead, Lana coming to acknowledge everything that was wrong with Lois just wouldn't work. It makes her look awful, because bad character doesn't equal bad person.

Besides making the protagonist of the book look awful if it were not Lois, it had to be Lois because it all started with her. A book with Lana in lead can be confrontational up to a certain degree, similar to what's going with Jane Foster as Thor, but it can never go as far as I'd want it to go. I wanted a Super book that didn't revere the Superman mythos. I wanted all the ugly aspects dragged out, put on display and then crushed. No excuses.

The scene with Lois "dying", that's the kind of scene I'd have wanted (minus the death), except the the realization she would have had wouldn't be one of what happened to New 52 Superman or whatever, but more like "Oh got, what the hell is wrong with the people that have been writing us since our creation?". But in a way where it would be closer to Superman Beyond 3D than Morrison's Animal Man, or John's work with Superboy-Prime.

What I was hoping for was perhaps the most culturally important Super book ever, and instead I'm getting something more like Jane Foster's Thor, which is fine, because that's one of my favorite comics and I really like Superwoman so far, but right now I don't think it's going to meet my, admittedly unrealistic expectations.

All things considered, Lana in the lead probably is better, since the chances of a Superwoman going in the direction I wanted it to go weren't at all likely. It's just that a book led by Lois had the potential to be better.

Anyway, that's just me rambling. If my post was a mess and you can't make sense of it, that's not unusual. My jumbled thoughts rarely come across as coherent. To put it simply, there are lots of things about the Superman mythos that I don't like that I thought this book would confront but now it looks like it most definitely won't.

If you still haven't gotten the book, go get it because it's great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    That's my hope. This has got to be one of the most critically praised Rebirth debuts that I've seen.
    Right now it is the most praised Rebirth debut. That might change because it doesn't have as many reviews yet, but there's only one DC Comic to come out of Rebirth that's gotten better reviews.

If Lois doesn't come back, then Superwoman isn't going to be all I want it to be. That might seem odd coming from someone that doesn't like Lois. A character I despise might not be fronting this book, instead a character I'm mostly indifferent to, somewhat dislike, might be the lead of the book. That's an improvement...right? One of the reasons I prefer to continue with New 52 Superman than Post-Crisis Superman is because the former comes with less bad history. Lois and Lana are a similar case because one's been more important to the Superman mythos and appeared in a lot more stories, so based on my Superman preference, it should be a no brainier for me to want the Superwoman book be led by Lana instead of Lois, if it had to be just one of them.

It's complicated.

When I was hyped for the series before issue #1 came out, I mentioned how I wanted Superwoman to confront the ugly aspects of the Superman mythos and Lois is pivotal to that. I don't think a book without Lois Lane, and one led by Lana can adequately confront how poorly women have been treated throughout the Superman mythos, and the presentation of gender. It needs to be Lois, because of her cultural and historical standing in the Superman mythos. With how meta I thought the book was going to be, I wanted New 52 Lois to realize and acknowledge the toxicity of the Superman/Clark/Lois relationship, and being critical of not just Post-Crisis Superman & Lois that exist in the New 52 Universe now, but the relationship throughout all continuities and all media, as well as basically every other Superman romance.

The chances of that happening were already close to nothing, but with Lois leading the book, I would have held out hope. A book led by Lana can't do that, because in-universe, Lois is/was a good person, and being critical of her and the Post-Crisis Superman/Lois relationship is just going to make her look really bad. What I was hoping for, was the book eventually telling us and elaborating on why, while Lois was a good person, she was an awful, insulting character. If Lois stays dead, Lana coming to acknowledge everything that was wrong with Lois just wouldn't work. It makes her look awful, because bad character doesn't equal bad person.

Besides making the protagonist of the book look awful if it were not Lois, it had to be Lois because it all started with her. A book with Lana in lead can be confrontational up to a certain degree, similar to what's going with Jane Foster as Thor, but it can never go as far as I'd want it to go. I wanted a Super book that didn't revere the Superman mythos. I wanted all the ugly aspects dragged out, put on display and then crushed. No excuses.

The scene with Lois "dying", that's the kind of scene I'd have wanted (minus the death), except the the realization she would have had wouldn't be one of what happened to New 52 Superman or whatever, but more like "Oh got, what the hell is wrong with the people that have been writing us since our creation?". But in a way where it would be closer to Superman Beyond 3D than Morrison's Animal Man, or John's work with Superboy-Prime.

What I was hoping for was perhaps the most culturally important Super book ever, and instead I'm getting something more like Jane Foster's Thor, which is fine, because that's one of my favorite comics and I really like Superwoman so far, but right now I don't think it's going to meet my, admittedly unrealistic expectations.

All things considered, Lana in the lead probably is better, since the chances of a Superwoman going in the direction I wanted it to go weren't at all likely. It's just that a book led by Lois had the potential to be better.

Anyway, that's just me rambling. If my post was a mess and you can't make sense of it, that's not unusual. My jumbled thoughts rarely come across as coherent. To put it simply, there are lots of things about the Superman mythos that I don't like that I thought this book would confront but now it looks like it most definitely won't.

I get what you're saying. I'm still holding out to what Jimenez meant when he said he'll have characters do things that a Super normally wouldn't.

I want it to be Lois. The sheer fact that she seems to have come to a revelation makes me want her heading this more. I want THIS book to be the one to clear up this line and explain who is who. (or AT LEAST, give part of the answer). I want to know why Clark was so sure he was gonna die and why he didn't care for treatment. I wanna know why he could just give off powers like this. I wanna know why there can be two sets of people. I don't think Lana has the ability to answer these question cause the mystery doesn't affect her. Lois though... I feel like it affects her the most.

It's complicated.

That's a lot of words to say very little of substance. You've been dropping hints and passive aggressive barbs about Lois Lane all week and have been asked quite directly to elaborate. You continue to sidestep what you really want to say again in this post. So, come on, just say it. What is wrong with Lois Lane, her role in the Superman mythology, and the Superman/Lois/Clark relationship? Create a new thread to discuss this if you like. I'm tired of the ambiguity and nebulous criticism. Speak your mind. (ETA: So far, after almost 12 hours since I asked this question, it's still not answered. This is after days and weeks before of asking the same thing. I'm left to conclude that your reasons for disliking Lois and Clois are so ugly that you don't want them exposed to the light for fear they won't stand up to scrutiny.)

Oh, and you know what you would have wanted makes no sense, right? It's not that I had trouble understanding your frustrations based on how you expressed them. It's just the idea that a comic is the place to tell the kind of metatextual things you want it to say that's absurd. You don't want a comic or a story. You want an essay. You don't want Lois to be a character. You want her to be a some sort of effigy, an empty vessel, there to represent and be deconstructed for nearly a century of storytelling and relationships for which she was only one of the participants and, in this case, New 52 Lois wasn't even that. How enjoyable would a comic be if it was all about tearing down a character and tasked with having to grapple with all of that history?

Ultimately, then, your evaluation of Lois is shallowly presented and your prescription for it has little to do with telling an actual story.
    Last edited by misslane; 08-12-2016 at 10:17 AM.

BANNED

Some good news about how the comic community is reacting to something they really dislike.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/...ured-spoilers/

Remember when Dan Slott got death threats over Superior Spider-Man? Or when Nick Spencer got death threats after Hydra Cap?

This is some welcome news, all things considered. No creator bashing, no threats.

Great book! Jimenez pack so much story into this issue. Such a breath of fresh air compared to the usual drawn out stories of modern comics.
    "Clark? Oh god I understand now. It all makes sense se..." What they hell was that all about?!? Did Lois discover that New 52 Superman is still alive or that maybe his life energy is within them? I don't think Lois is dead. On the cover of issue #3 there is a woman with black hair wearing the Superman cape. Of course she's turned around so we can't see her face but it's clearly not Lana.

BANNED

Tomorrow, unless the best sellers list is down, we'll see how Superwoman charts digitally compared to the other DC books out this week.

My guess is better than New Super-Man but below Action Comics, though I hope it outcharts Action.

Tomorrow, unless the best sellers list is down, we'll see how Superwoman charts digitally compared to the other DC books out this week.

My guess is better than New Super-Man but below Action Comics, though I hope it outcharts Action.
    Well, you were right about one of those.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I know right. This and New Superman are the only Superman books that feel fresh
    Orlando's Supergirl maybe it will be another "fresh" series.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    This was my favorite Rebirth comic yet.
    +1 Loved it, great twist at the end, although I really liked the love/hate relationship between Lois & Lana.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    +1 Loved it, great twist at the end, although I really liked the love/hate relationship between Lois & Lana.
    It's not much of a love/hate relationship if one person is doing all the loving while the other's doing all the hating. Love/hate banter works when it's mutual, like the dynamic Beatrice and Benedict have in Much Ado About Nothing. In this issue, Lois is all sweetness with Lana while Lana calls Lois irritating, blames her for something that Lois didn't do wrong (Clark's secret reveal), and who generally gives off a bitter and annoyed vibe with Lois.