Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

This is pretty f uped. First time I find her likable and she gets killed. This feels like DC trying to get rid of the New 52 versions of Supes and Lois.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've said it before but I'm actually confident on it now: Lois's powers is how she conceives Jon. Wherever Clark and Lois are, lost in time or whatever, when they conceive Jon, the reason it'll be said its possible is because she's superpowered at the time too. It won't be because of the dome at all. Everything about their state when we join them in Convergence will be revealed to be based off lies. The incompatibility is gone because she's still got the makeup, however artificial it may be, of a Kryptonian at the time.
    A real problem if that's true is that it doesn't restore any of their pre-Flashpoint history. This wouldn't be the Superman from Morrison's JLA, the Superman who fought Doomsday, etc. then. I don't buy this theory because it seems in-eloquently lopsided towards New 52 fans.

Sure it does. All it will do is restore New 52 memories to the current Superman. It won't replace or erase the post-Crisis history, at least not the bulk of it. The histories are merging more or less. The only thing the New 52 stuff will probably replace is Byrne's origin, and even then the New 52 stuff probably won't be verbatim. They've flat out said they're trying to drop New 52 into post-Crisis history. God bless them in the endeavor, I'm sure they'll screw it all up, but that's their aim. So the post-Crisis stuff, everything this Superman knows now, will still be there, wherever the cut-off point is, if there is a cut-off point (IMO it should be pre-Identity Crisis).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-10-2016 at 08:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I posted this on another thread and I thought it might be appropriate here too. Basically my thoughts on how this whole thing might shake out

I've been rereading the comic and interview, and I've noticed something. Jimenez says....

"One of the things I’m interested in in our business is how really promote the idea of flawed characters. But so often I find “flawed” is usually a code word for, like, “murderous sociopath.” I’m more interested in flaws on a much more human scale. And ones that I actually do believe we could all have.
    I’m particularly interested in Super characters whose weaknesses aren’t Kryptonite. Their weaknesses – and this is so trite sounding, but it’s true – are their human nature. Will readers be willing to give over to that? And can they relate to that? I’m very curious about it."

He spent literally the whole issue building Lana up as this, right? Regardless of what you may feel about how he did it, I think it's safe to say that it was his intent. He also says....

"There are a lot of surprises in the first three issues, some of which have to do with Rebirth, some of which are just things I want to hold for a little bit longer.
    Y’know, just because I want readers to be like, “Oh, ****! I didn’t think that was going to happen!”"

I'm assuming he means the loose end of NuLois.

Lastly he says.....

"And we were designing covers – the first six covers for the first two arcs – and it was interesting because we’re trying to figure out how, knowing how far in advance art gets released, what to show and what not. You know, to maintain surprise. What can be symbolic while not pissing readers off.
    So one cover is a spin on what happens in the book. It’s a little clever, a little playful, and my hope is that people don’t mind that playfulness because part of that is just keeping things for the first few issues under wraps."

My theory

Lana is going to use her very flexible powers to some how take on the appearance of Lois' Superwoman face and all. Lois is the who who was the most recognizable and had the most media around her as Superwoman. It might even get more interesting as she goes out in her Superwoman form to keep the appearance of two of them in the public (and Lex's mind). This along with her powers in general is gonna stretch her thin and deteriorate her health faster.

Notice in the solicit text it's only speaking of one Superwoman as opposed to two. Also notice that Steel is the one that gives Superwoman the bad news. I think Lana is gonna masquerade as Lois because her enthusiasm and memory give her strength and combat her anxiety. Eventually she'll have to face herself as herself, and that will likely be when she really puts Lois to rest.

It'll also be sorta meta given all of the Lana stealing Lois "thing" in the Super world comments. Given this first issue's focus and Rebirth's whole Pre-52 deal, I just don't see it actually being about NuLois. I think it's gonna be about Lana finding herself and become someone who isn't so dependent on the support of others as she's been depicted in the this first issue. She's the one who seems to have the emotional journey to go on.

Interesting idea on the appearance idea. I could see that happening. Using the Superwoman identity and another person's appearance to escape herself and eventually have to find and accept herself again. Could be an interesting journey. But I agree this book isn't about Lois. Disappointing in that regard as their relationship was specifically teased and thus I was looking forward to it. But she's not going to be in this book again unless Jimenez surprises and the book eventually dovetails into a secondary tale of where Lois went and what happened to her and also reveals what happened to Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Sure it does. All it will do is restore New 52 memories to the current Superman. It won't replace or erase the post-Crisis history, at least not the bulk of it. The histories are merging more or less. The only thing the New 52 stuff will probably replace is Byrne's origin, and even then the New 52 stuff probably won't be verbatim. They've flat out said they're trying to drop New 52 into post-Crisis history. God bless them in the endeavor, I'm sure they'll screw it all up, but that's their aim. So the post-Crisis stuff, everything this Superman knows now, will still be there.
    But why not just simply say that they are in fact pre-crisis Superman and Lois, but since the timelines are being merged then so to are prats of their histories? The New 52 Lois and Clark were then still a "real" Lois and Clark, but they are just now from another timeline. The one Manhattan messed with.

If they were to actually go the route of bringing a pre-Crisis element into it, then I'd have to entirely change my approach in believing that they're focusing on this one world and that's that. If they're not the same people or Oz constructs (please god no), but are revealed to be their own, separate incarnations of Superman and Lois, that would change the game as I don't think they'd do that and then sit on it. To me that would be indication that maybe another Earth and a secondary continuity akin to the pre-Crisis two-Earth days might really be in the cards. But that's a big if.

If they were to actually go the route of bringing a pre-Crisis element into it, then I'd have to entirely change my approach in believing that they're focusing on this one world and that's that. If they're not the same people or Oz constructs (please god no), but are revealed to be their own, separate incarnations of Superman and Lois, that would change the game as I don't think they'd do that and then sit on it. To me that would be indication that maybe another Earth and a secondary continuity akin to the pre-Crisis two-Earth days might really be in the cards. But that's a big if.
    Well it wouldn't be another Earth. It would be another timeline in the same Earth. It's the same people but with different things happening to them to cause them to have different lives. So when they fix everything what would simply happen to Superdad and Mama Lois is that they would have somewhat altered histories that skew a bit more to the New 52, but it wouldn't at all be verbatim.

I doubt they're constructs though.

You know what I just realized?
    sp 6.jpg

the S at the end kinda makes the word plural. I know this is dumb. I just had a laugh.

Hahaha, I'm never going to be able to unsee that.

"This isn't a book about a Superwoman. Its a book about Superwomans!

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

When I first saw the cover the very first thing I thought was 'There will be plural Superwomans.' And that's with completely missing the fact that Lana is right there on the cover. I feel that it can't be unintentional.

This is an amazingly good first issue, of what could be an amazing comic by an amazing creator. I really hope the ending isn't a cop out, I really would like to see a main line DC book where the stakes feel real. Also, I kind of think putting the focus on an unsure Lana Lang (with the more interesting, less 'traditional Superman-ish' powers) is slightly more interesting then the more confident Lois.
    Last edited by Jim Purcell; 08-10-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

It's funny how we've been talking on here about Lana's transformation from "simple farm girl" to also engineer, journalist, responsible for Superman's development, to more lucky, so far, with the gift of super powers, and just you know an all round superstar person...and now apparently she has flaws, she has anxiety, ahhh boo hoo....

I suppose there is the recognised personality trait of a bold confident person actually being more "shaky" on the inside...it's been done before, a bit of a cliche, and I think that's what it's looking like for this comic book.....seems like the Lana character is either way going to be a wind up...taking light from Lois, to wind up Lois fans, and for fans of a strong, bold capable woman character whoever it is, well she's got to be a nervous wreck really underneath hasn't she...sigh...

On the points of trying to explain or come up with logic with regard to all the continuity/timeline/other worlds issues all I can say is what a bloody mess! For me I'm afraid it isn't worth trying to work that out, but good effort from those on here who are trying to.

Cheers

Jon

I doubt, that Lois was killed. Lana not have successful as Lois. Comics about and with her will not be sold. AC already proved it.

I really enjoyed the debut issue but was also enjoying the idea of two Superwomen...

After what happened in "The Last Days of Superman" and at the end of this book, I'm wondering if the Sand Superman from Future's End doesn't have something to do with this. Both Clark and Lois crumbled to dust when they died. The Sand Superman was shown being able to bestow Superman's powers on others. At Lois' death she says that she understands now. So I can't help but wonder if Sand Superman is actually a part of all this. Perhaps it's part of the New 52 Superman not being what he thought. I didn't read Future's End though. Did they ever explain where Sand Superman came from?