Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Ghostbusters" Sequel At Risk As Sony Faced With Possible $70M Loss

The Paul Feig-directed "Ghostbusters" has so far earned $180 million at the worldwide box office.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

Gasp. The promised sequel might not happen just because of the poor box office showing.

I must pause and try to comprehend this paradigm shift.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

BUt but the spin doctors say it wasn't a Flop!

Let's faced it They crossed the streams with this "reboot"

Now make GB3 with Deadpool's budget with Dan and Ian in total control and give a new generation the Real Ghostbusters!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    BUt but the spin doctors say it wasn't a Flop!

Let's faced it They crossed the streams with this "reboot"

Now make GB3 with Deadpool's budget with Dan and Ian in total control and give a new generation the Real Ghostbusters!
    Or, you know...just let it rest. The original Ghostbusters was a great comedy movie. The sequel sucked and the reboot sucked. Just let it die.

BANNED

Aww. That's disappointing, because I really liked the film.

It's worth pointing out that in the original THR article Sony disagrees with the gloomy assessment, saying that revitalization of the brand has brought in cash even if the film didn't.

Sony disputes the amount of the potential loss, insisting that revenue streams from merchandising and such attractions as a new Ghostbusters exhibit at Madame Tussauds and a theme park ride in Dubai will help defray any deficit. The studio also notes that the number of people renting the 1984 film has soared over the summer.

"This loss calculation is way off," says the Sony rep. "With multiple revenue streams, including consumer products, gaming, location-based entertainment, continued international rollout, and huge third-party promotional partnerships that mitigated costs, the bottom line, even before co-financing, is not remotely close to that number."
    Either way, it looks like the cartoons are still on, so that's a plus.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 08-10-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Sony , in denial even as the film loses money. Yes Sony you made some money from merch deals , but at the end of the day , it only goes so far. I mean if you think putting toys in clearance to sell , a video game that has sold terrible (and needs a home video tie-in to push sales) and that selling snack cakes and drinks is the answer...good deal. But honestly , the brand was always gonna move something snack cake wise or some older toys.

They left money on the table and its this denial that kills them. At the end as the film could lose more than $70+ million (some are estimating the loss could be higher) , Sony proclaiming they didn't lose anything is pretty funny. They so ill make it into that thread I made in May. Excuses studios do when something bombs.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's worth pointing out that in the original THR article Sony disagrees with the gloomy assessment, saying that revitalization of the brand has brought in cash even if the film didn't.
    144 million production budget plus at least 100 million marketing budget = 244 million production cost
    The movie earned 180 million. 50 % of 180 million = 90 million

244 million - 90 million = 154 million loss at the box office. So I assume the revenue from the merchendise etc. is already calculated in the 70 million loss estimate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    144 million production budget plus at least 100 million marketing budget = 244 million production cost
    The movie earned 180 million. 50 % of 180 million = 90 million

244 million - 90 million = 154 million loss at the box office. So I assume the revenue from the merchendise etc. is already calculated in the 70 million loss estimate.
    Nah, the THR article makes this clearer and the math is much simpler. The studio said break-even box office would be $300 million and even if it gets to $225 million by the end of its run, an optimistic estimate, it'll be $75 million short. Other income streams aren't factored.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 08-10-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

What I took away from the article is Sony saying we have our box office taking PLUS the $ from this and this and this and this and THIS... and it's still not going to break even.

And trying to shore themselves up by counting increased rentals of the original movie? Mmmm, that shows what a winner you've created this time around.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

One would think after Sony's last few disappointing blockbusters that they'd experiment with a less is more approach. Look at what the Deadpool team wrung out of $60million. Sure, sometimes the effects don't hold up (I've seen worse), but by damn did they make a good movie.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

What's funny is people in the media and critics have been trying to spin Suicide Squad as a disaster that you shouldn't see. While praising Ghostbusters as a film that's better than what it actually is. We now have articles saying Ghostbusters was not a flop, despite Suicide Squad making more in 3 days (domestically and worldwide) than Ghostbusters has in 3 weeks.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/gho...a-flop-8622080

Facts don't matter and the truth can be adjusted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    What's funny is people in the media and critics have been trying to spin Suicide Squad as a disaster that you shouldn't see. While praising Ghostbusters as a film that's better than what it actually is. We now have articles saying Ghostbusters was not a flop, despite Suicide Squad making more in 3 days (domestically and worldwide) than Ghostbusters has in 3 weeks.

Anyone who says suicide squad is a disaster is an idiot. Its basically made its budget back in 5 days with domestic returns alone. Its will be well over 200 million domestic after this weekend and is probably looking at 700 million worldwide even without china.

And that's why i dont trust the critics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    What I took away from the article is Sony saying we have our box office taking PLUS the $ from this and this and this and this and THIS... and it's still not going to break even.

And trying to shore themselves up by counting increased rentals of the original movie? Mmmm, that shows what a winner you've created this time around.
    Sony is saying that THR's loss calculation is wrong, it didn't say it would or would not break even.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 08-10-2016 at 02:53 PM.

BANNED

I'm sure there's a theory or two out on why Ghostbusters did better critically...