Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I'm sure there's a theory or two out on why Ghostbusters did better critically...
    Some MRA conspiracy theories.

As for Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters may be a flop, but it is a better movie than Suicide Squad, which is simply a bit of a mess structural and in characterization because of executive meddling. I liked it, but it's a flawed film.

BANNED

We'll see what happens in other countries. Remember, the film has yet to open in Mexico and Japan.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Ghostbusters had sh*t and fart (queef) jokes. How this film received positive ratings with such stoner level humor, among the other problems the film has (poor villain, meh soundtrack, too many callbacks and references to the original, unfunny cameos, male characters being idiots) is remarkable. The coolest thing about the film was the variety of the actual Ghostbusting and Jill Holtzmann.

Again, I've asked this before but what is MRA?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

But I was so looking forward to a Fan4stick 2 / Ghostbuster 2 double feature.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Men's Rights Activists. Yes really.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It stands for "Men's Rights Activist" but don't worry about not knowing it, those three letters are to the supporters of this film as "SJW" are to the opponents which is to say they're shorthand for the boogieman.

Frankly you're far better off not knowing it as it probably means you have a life outside of these online slap-fights.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    We'll see what happens in other countries. Remember, the film has yet to open in Mexico and Japan.
    That's the only countries left; the International box office is $62,800,000, i doubt that Japan (limited), Spain and Mexico will do much difference. For instance, Fant4stic Four made 100 million overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    It stands for "Men's Rights Activist" but don't worry about not knowing it, those three letters are to the supporters of this film as "SJW" are to the opponents which is to say they're shorthand for the boogieman.

Frankly you're far better off not knowing it as it probably means you have a life outside of these online slap-fights.
    Yeah, you can pretty much dismiss someone's argument immediately if it's dependent on characterizing their opponents as MRAs or SJWs. Both groups DO exist, but to label everyone who dislikes the idea of rebooting Ghostbusters as an MRA is disingenuous and intellectually lazy. Most people had no problem with a women-helmed Ghostbusters team, they just wanted it to be a sequel, not a reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Yeah, you can pretty much dismiss someone's argument immediately if it's dependent on characterizing their opponents as MRAs or SJWs. Both groups DO exist, but to label everyone who dislikes the idea of rebooting Ghostbusters as an MRA is disingenuous and intellectually lazy. Most people had no problem with a women-helmed Ghostbusters team, they just wanted it to be a sequel, not a reboot.
    That's just not true. All of the sequel fan-wanks and preferred pitches feature a token woman. Maybe two women. All women was the bridge too far.

I agree, not everyone who dislikes the film is an MRA. Everyone who believes the review scores were motivated by some kind of anti-men conspiracy is, though.

Or perhaps, Ghostbusters flopped like most other remakes flopped. The list so far:

The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, John Carter, Terminator (Genysis), Judge Dredd (2012), Robocop (2014), and Total Recall (2012).

So far, the only remakes/reboots that have been successful are Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, 21 Jump Street, Star Trek (2009) and Mission Impossible.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-10-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    That's just not true. All of the sequel fan-wanks and preferred pitches feature a token woman. Maybe two women. All women was the bridge too far.
    That's just not true back atcha. I saw a lot of people---probably the majority of complaints I read online---whose only objection to the movie was that they were rebooting instead of just making it a modern-day sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Or perhaps, Ghostbusters flopped like most other remakes flopped. The list so far:

The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, John Carter, Terminator (Genysis), Judge Dredd (2012), Robocop (2014), and Total Recall (2012).

So far, the only remakes/reboots that have been successful are Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, 21 Jump Street and Mission Impossible.
    You left off the current crop of Star Trek movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post

I agree, not everyone who dislikes the film is an MRA. Everyone who believes the review scores were motivated by some kind of anti-men conspiracy is, though.
    I wasn't even hinting at that angle, but it's nice to be able to spot those who fight generalization and stereotype by...generalizing and stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    You left off the current crop of Star Trek movies.
    I guess they count. Given the gap between Nemesis (2002) and ST09. I'll alter my list.