Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder what the result would have been if they didn't blow this "haters vs women" narrative out of proportion.
    I donīt think there would be any difference. The target audience was obviously women and young girls and I donīt see how some social media controversy prevented them from seeing the movie.

No matter what critics, fans, or gender politics might proclaim, it all comes down to money. If a movie doesn't turn a profit, then it doesn't matter how many dislikes it got on the internet or what its Rotten Tomatoes score is. For the studio, it is a failure. Plain and simple. Just look at what happened with Fantastic Four. It failed to turn a profit. Then, it's 2017 sequel got canceled. I applaud Ghostbusters for trying something new. But if it isn't profitable, then studios are only going to try so much and that's not good for the industry in the long run.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I actually think that it likely would have performed even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    No matter what critics, fans, or gender politics might proclaim, it all comes down to money. If a movie doesn't turn a profit, then it doesn't matter how many dislikes it got on the internet or what its Rotten Tomatoes score is. For the studio, it is a failure. Plain and simple. Just look at what happened with Fantastic Four. It failed to turn a profit. Then, it's 2017 sequel got canceled. I applaud Ghostbusters for trying something new. But if it isn't profitable, then studios are only going to try so much and that's not good for the industry in the long run.
    While I agree, even turning a pretty good profit is not all there is to it. Some particularly profitable recent reboots have not turned into "new" franchises.

Its about opportunity cost too. If you could put same amount of money into another property and get better results then why bother with the first one?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It would have been like Blues Brothers 2000. Nostalgic. Well-intentioned. But just sad.

I mean, here's Dan Ackroyd's idea of a "passing the torch" movie. Look at that torch. Sure is getting passed.

The Nostalgia Critic over on Youtube just did a review of Blues Brothers 2000 and rips it to shreds over just how bad and dumb the movie was. Well worth a watch to just see all the glaring plot holes and nonsense ideas he points out. Great Music. Horrible movie.

BANNED

Very happy about the news.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Nostalgia Critic over on Youtube just did a review of Blues Brothers 2000 and rips it to shreds over just how bad and dumb the movie was. Well worth a watch to just see all the glaring plot holes and nonsense ideas he points out. Great Music. Horrible movie.
    It does have good performances and Ackroyd clearly has a deep love of Blues.

BANNED

Actually, you've explained one of the MRA conspiracy theories and apparently you subscribe to it. It all comes down to review scores being driven by a political agenda, either against all men or against their movement. It's batshit crazy to suggest they care enough about the opinions of these people to give dishonest review scores just to spite them.
    Human nature isn't a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy theory would be that all the reviewers got together and decided no matter what they'd collectively give it a good review...which is not what I even kind of said. What you're saying would be like saying, if the movie had actually turned out good, and if MRA types still said is was horrible, that it was a conspiracy theory they were letting their person bias get in the way. The way you throw around conspiracy theory it's becoming more and more clear you don't actually know what the word means.

If you think it's crazy that some reviewers might let personal bias cloud their review on a movie they've turned into a political stance, then maybe you should go read some of their Twitter accounts.

Didn't Richard Roeper say that after his review of the movie he had critics tell him he was sexist for being hard on it? Can't imagine those people letting their person bias get in the way of a review. Can't imagine reviewers that wrote dishonest think pieces on the Angry Video Game Nerd (probably because he's got video game in his handle...so gamergate) being a sexist for not wanting to see it letting personal bias seep into a review.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    Regardless, it would have been sad. Like just not funny. I guarantee Ghostbusters 3 would have been met with derision like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Nobody can just win.
    2009 Ghostbusters game which acts as the third movie was received positively.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lolgaxe View Post
    Which is funny since Murray was the reason there wasn't a sequel all this time.
    That is what I said.

BANNED

Whoops, never mind. I mixed RT and Metacritic.

Ouch... So sad that after so many years without Ghostbusters they went and screwed this up...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The money angle is funny though because so far Ghostbusters is more successful than the newest Star Trek but that one is getting a sequel, I believe. Of course it's very well that Paramount and Sony have very different metrics for success though

I just think it's hilarious how bent of shape fanboys of DCU came out to defend and rationalize everything about Suicide Squad when it first was about to release. They called conspiracy, rated the film high on sites (without seeing it) and did everything to defend it from critics and anti-DCU fanboys. But some of those same people were earlier taking the place of the anti-DCU fanboys in regards to this film. It's almost like people's bias don't even let them see asshats, unless the asshats are not them.

BANNED

Wow, post history stalking. This board is totally turning into Reddit.
    It's probably more like just remember one of your many Ghostbusters related post since the movie has come out.