20 35.09%
  • an average comic book.

6 10.53%
  • a bad comic book.

0 0%
  • a terrible comic book.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Deathstroke Rebirth #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

Hug those shadows unless you want to be spoiled. The sword is sharp. The bullet is an armor piercing round... You won't see either coming until it's too late.

This is a spoiler filled thread for all the Deathstroke inspired fans that have bought the comic book and want to talk about the details freely.

Grant: Gone for months at a time… Come home couple of days to screw Ma and beat us.

Slade: Yes. In that order.

I was reminded of a particular Russian film about a dad coming home to spend time with his two sons after being away. The boy deserved some discipline but Slade didn't yet get that he hadn't earned the privilege by being there for him. Bad situation.

Leave him in the woods a few hours, instead? Well, he was watching over the boy. Slade could be such a cool teacher and parent if they could just get some bonding going on.

I thought the art and color use was very good. It had character but I wasn't awed by it. The action scenes managed to convey what happened well. Grammar Nazis will have a fit with the dialogue at times but I thought the style worked here. I had gotten used to Slade pictured with black hair. Seeing the blonde in his past remembrances was a surprise.

Slade: These are black people Matthew. The marines aren't coming.

A nasty contract about wiping out black Muslim terrorists fighting a black Christian Warlord's forces somewhere in Africa who was all fearful of US government interference. But then it gets complicated with a specific super villain’s life on the line, the Clock King of all people, and a need for a rescue.

Do you think Slade killed him? Or let him live? He got what he wanted though. Payday...

Yep. They went and quoted Baudelaire.

Then Slade went naked ninja to kill a camp full of Muslim jihadist and rescue… O.o Now how will that play out?

Priest surprised me here. I knew he was a good writer. It's just that he did such a wonderful job showing off Slade Wilson as a person. There was a lot of character understanding displayed and it was used in such a way as to hook me rather than lecture me.

As a matter of fact, looking over this comic as a whole it is my personal favorite out of the Rebirth #1 launches from DC and I really want to see where this goes.

So what did you think? Love, hate, details you enjoyed? Be forward. I want to know.

And for everyone reading the issue, no matter how you feel vote in the poll. It's all good to disagree. Vote your opinion, conscience... Nothing personal in it. I am trying to make sure we give a fair take.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 08-10-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: There is an AI out there with a grudge screwing with my spelling. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Alright Priest, I'm in. This was a well done story.

said it on the preview thread and i'll say it here. i'm in. glad priest is back.

This was pretty good. Slade is a cold, calculating, bastard LoL. Just awful. I dig it

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This was pretty good. Slade is a cold, calculating, bastard LoL. Just awful. I dig it
    Some times there is such a beauty in being so wrong. There was a lot of non PC content here man but that's part of what made it such fun in going against the cardboard grain a few other Rebirth stories seemed stuck in or fearful of treading upon. He didn't rub it in your face but let it be. Deathstroke found the right language for example where Hellblazer struggled with star symbols to hide naughty words that really weren't needed to be edgy.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 08-10-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

BANNED

Priest. All ya got to say.

Yeah, we all agree. Priest was great with this issue. But what made it great in your view? What was special here?

I want to kick some opinion out of some of you to get you conversing on the story. I love my comics and we need to talk em over for the good of mankind. *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    Yeah, we all agree. Priest was great with this issue. But what made it great in your view? What was special here?

I want to kick some opinion out of some of you to get you conversing on the story. I love my comics and we need to talk em over for the good of mankind. *cough*
    For me, the best part of the story is how it's about character, not plot. We really get a look at how Slade thinks here.

Slade talked a lot more then I expected given how Priest was advertising this book, though maybe that'll change now that we have Wintergreen in play.

I really enjoyed the fact that Priest didn't shy away from accents and thought it was a good first issue. I'm pretty sure ravagers gonna be the family with Wintergreen, I don't know are any of his other kids even alive anymore? I'm in for the first arc for sure. I love that all the old school guys are coming back for Rebirth.

Ultimate Member

Priest has always been good at doing a balancing act, and is one of the few writers today unafraid of making his main character look unsympathetic at times, or not always in the moral right.

I look forward to more. Priest knows how to write bad ass without straying into mary sue turf, or over the topness (like the first Nu52 Deathstroke series), so this starts good and will likely only get better.

Astonishing Member

Oh Deathstroke fans, you are in for a treat.

I usually hate Bad Guy books, but when you have a master like Priest, he wont compromise a character to make him likeable.

This is my favorite Rebirth book so far.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I agree with the others here. If you are on the fence whether to buy this, plunk down 3 bucks and read a great writer bring a morally grey character to life

Incredible Member

This was very much classical Deathstroke. I thought this was a very solid start and Priest writes with a lot of substance. I'm very intrigued in seeing how Slade became the man he is in the present day. I'm also glad they bought back Wintergreen. He is to Slade what Alfred is to Bruce IMO.

Without a doubt my favorite Rebirth book so far. Priest did exactly what I was expecting him to do and he flat out killed out. Next time my son acts up I'm going to tell him I'm sending him to live with Slade.