Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All New Wolverine backstory reading

I recently began reading All New Wolverine (I started with the Squirrel Girl issue as I love SG) and this is my first time reading about Laura. What is solid back story reading for the character?

First off, there's her two origin mini's, Innocence Lost and Target X. They're about to be reprinted together in X-23 The Complete Collection volume 1, which will start shipping from Amazon on the 16th. It's arguably up there with the best X-Men origin stories and is definitely the best place to start.

Lord this needs a sticky for the number of times it gets asked.

Timeline is as follows.

X-23: Innocence Lost - X-23: Target X - NYX - Uncanny X-men (skipable) - New X-men (post house of M) - X-Force (2008-2010) - X-23 one shot - X-23 - Avengers Academy - Avengers Arena - All New X-men (painful)( vignette from Logan Legacy taking place some time in here) - Framing device from Logan Legacy - Wolverines - All New Wolverine (avoid ongoing All New X-men)

Essentials are X-23: Innocence Lost, X-23: Target X, NYX, New X-men, X-Force, X-23.

Others will be along with more in-depth information, they always are.

Omnibuses are being released.

https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...&keywords=x-23

https://www.amazon.com/X-23-Complete...&keywords=x-23
    Last edited by Nazrel; 08-10-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Required reading:
    X-23 Innocence Lost - origin story.
    X-23 Target X - continuation of origin story. Introduction of Kimura.
    Kyle/Yost New X-Men run - Joins the New X-Men.
    Kyle/Yost X-Force - Her time with Logan in X-Force.
    Liu X-23 one shot and solo - Breaks out on her own, tries to create her own identity.
    X-23 Logan Legacy - Copes with Logan's death and what he means to her.

Optional:

NYX. This fits in somewhere between Target X and New X-Men. She's more of a side character in it but her time as a prostitute is revealed here.

Manifest Destiny - nice friendship moment with her and Mercury.

Captain Universe: X-23. This is touched on in her solo but it's a forgettable story.

Avengers Academy. I forgot what issue she came in, but her role here was pretty forgettable. I liked the series, but she wasn't that great in it.

Avengers Arena: She was written decently, but nothing special and easily skippable.

Bendis and Hopeless All New X-Men: She's written OOC in both, but Bendis's run established some of the status quo in the present. It's still easily skippable. Neither is good in my opinion.

Wolverines - it was boring nonsense and I skipped it, and didn't miss anything. You could skip it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Avengers Academy. I forgot what issue she came in, but her role here was pretty forgettable. I liked the series, but she wasn't that great in it.
    I wouldn't say it's essential (it's not followed up on anywhere), but her aborted friendship with Finesse is worth a read, I think.

Hi there.

Well she has obviously been in quite a few books so the list would be quite long as it is. Since you are specifically talking about her backstory though I assume you are mostly interested in the books that actually fleshed her out and added to her overall narrative. These are fortunately pretty easy to tell. I list them here in chronological order.

The first three are:

NYX
    X-23: Innocence Lost
    X-23: Target X

These tell her origin and make clear why she basically is the way she is. These tell all the events that happened before she came in contact with the X-Men.

After that it's:

New X-Men #20-46
    X-Force by Kyle/Yost #1-26

Keep in mind that both of these were involved in the Messiah trilogy crossovers so to get the full story you need to read the entire crossovers.

And lastly it's:

X-23 ongoing by Marjorie Liu

This was her first ongoing and it spun out of the event of X-Force. Certainly a good read and establishes a few new relationships and dynamics along the way.

Everything else besides All-New Wolverine of course don't really do a whole lot when it comes to her own story or development. That doesn't mean those books are bad. Some of them are actually pretty fun to read. It's just that you should keep your expectations in line when reading them just for Laura.

Also since you started reading her with All-New Wolverine and are also a Squirrel Girl fan. Laura started as a quite dark character. Her entire life has been shit as you will know after reading those books and she is a trained killer with a body count that goes into the hundreds. She is a no-nonsense ass kicker and those claws aren't just for show. There is quite a lot of death, violence, blood and tragedy in these books. It's worth mentioning just in case you are expecting a tone similar to All-New Wolverine.
    Last edited by Galerion; 08-10-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Just read Uncanny Reload. Claremont and Davis delivered the definitive X-23.

Thanks for the answers. Sorry it gets asked a lot...I don't read X-men any more and seldom come here.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Just read Uncanny Reload. Claremont and Davis delivered the definitive X-23.
    Uh, you're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    Uh, you're kidding, right?
    Of course he is. Everyone knows Hopeless Laura is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSontaran View Post
    Thanks for the answers. Sorry it gets asked a lot...I don't read X-men any more and seldom come here.
    Nah it's OK. I will always help someone out who shows interest in the character
    I don't know how you read these but I think all these comics are on Marvel Unlimited if you are a subscriber to it or have interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Of course he is. Everyone knows Hopeless Laura is the best.
    Haha
    You are are truly giving Hopeless a run for his money in the sarcasm department
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Haha
    You are are truly giving Hopeless a run for his money in the sarcasm department
    That's just what Logan would do.

BANNED

Sorry but I prefer my X-23 snarling and following Psylocke around like a puppy. Also the Thorn costume.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Sorry but I prefer my X-23 snarling and following Psylocke around like a puppy. Also the Thorn costume.
    Chuck Austen?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    23, funnily enough!