Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Yeah it won't fly because Hal isn't that popular but neither are Guy, John and Kyle
    You have 4 characters who can all hold down a solo
    You divide that fanbase up even more to support their individual 4 books
    It was never going to work
    You have to have a huge trend of popularity to sustain that type of push and it has to be all GL not named characters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Yeah it won't fly because Hal isn't that popular but neither are Guy, John and Kyle
    You have 4 characters who can all hold down a solo
    You divide that fanbase up even more to support their individual 4 books
    It was never going to work
    You have to have a huge trend of popularity to sustain that type of push and it has to be all GL not named characters
    I understand your belief that John, Kyle and Guy can't carry titles. But it reflects they way they've been used, not the way they could be used. Of course if you keep using them the same way, they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Lol. Really?

Above Shazam/Captain Marvel, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow and Robin/Dick Grayson/Nightwing?

That's like saying Lobo was the fourth pillar in the '90s.
    She's wicked popular. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

It's like saying that Deadpool is the most important Marvel character after Spider-Man, Captain America and the Hulk.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    She's wicked popular. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

It's like saying that Deadpool is the most important Marvel character after Spider-Man, Captain America and the Hulk.

Sandy Hausler
    Spidey Cap and Wolvie surely

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The DCU has had plenty of '4th pillars' over the years. Lobo was during the 90s, Green Lantern was until the movie made him a punchline, Flash is arguably the fourth pillar now, but I could see how Harley could easily be up there. She's certainly moved beyond being a mere spinoff character. She's a huge part of DC Superhero Girls, which is getting more and more popular and profitable (moreso than most of the comics)

Jim Lee's "Harley is the 4th pillar" talk is indicative of his kind of short sighted, quarterly bottom line oriented mindset that gave us the New 52. Harley is still a very young character who may or may not survive the test of time. End of story.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 08-14-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Jim Lee's "Harley is the 4th pillar" talk is indicative of his kind of short sighted, quarterly bottom line oriented mindset that gave us the New 52. Harley is still a very young character who may or may not survive the test of time. End of story.
    Well she safely survived her first volume run which included 31 main issues including countless specials spin offs and spawned a couple mini issue's aswell. She is very much the fourth pillar of DC and her popularity will likely keep going up now that she has starred in a successful Hollywood movie.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Well she safely survived her first volume run which included 31 main issues including countless specials spin offs and spawned a couple mini issue's aswell. She is very much the fourth pillar of DC and her popularity will likely keep going up now that she has starred in a successful Hollywood movie.
    I never contested her sales. Nor am I saying that Jin is inaccurate in his assertion. But that he is short sighted.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    People just need to accept this, Harley Quinn sells and it sells pretty damn well.

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets her own line one of these days, she already has 3 titles right now.
    LOL. That's not the issue. I think people recognize that she does in fact sell. Its more so about how to identify her: Is she her own line or just an extension of the Batman line?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

She will survive the test of time because she can always retreat back into Batman's and Joker's world, find herself again, then pop out into popularity once more.

That is her big advantage over people like Green Lantern and Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    She will survive the test of time because she can always retreat back into Batman's and Joker's world, find herself again, then pop out into popularity once more.

You make a point. But she would have to change significantly to become top tier. She can't carry an event and all of DC cosmic is cut off to her. I don't think we can ever see a No Man's Land type of event centred on Harley. She is a punchline at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post

Yup. Her disadvantage IS her advantage.

I never contested her sales. Nor am I saying that Jin is inaccurate in his assertion. But that he is short sighted.
    Didn't you?

Why not? Surely Dick Grayson sells a lot more comics...in July he has two in top ten, Harly Quin is where exactly?

Am I really only person that thinks Jim Lee is just having a wee joke?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    LOL. That's not the issue. I think people recognize that she does in fact sell. Its more so about how to identify her: Is she her own line or just an extension of the Batman line?
    That's what I'm saying. What makes her a distinct property and not just an extension of the batman franchise?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Didn't you?

Why not? Surely Dick Grayson sells a lot more comics...in July he has two in top ten, Harly Quin is where exactly?

Am I really only person that thinks Jim Lee is just having a wee joke?
    Dick had two numbers one's in July hardly a fair measurement. Harley has two in August with #1 surpassing 400k due to Lootcrate etc. It will be much fairer comparison when the issues hit about #10.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.