Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Misconceptions younger folk have about X Men and Days of Future Past

I'm an older X Men fan and I need to get something off my chest that's been bothering me when it comes to younger folk today and the Days of Future Past story arc in the original X Men comic and the movie.

In the comic issues, Rachel is the one who uses time travel somehow to send Kitty back in time. That's how it was the whole time . Just wish the younger folk who claim they read comics they need to understand.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think the biggest misconception is how short it is. People expect a mini-series these days or, at least, a "saga" similar to Dark Phoenix, but it's only two issues.

Obviously, adaptations have used other characters (Bishop and Wolverine), but I'm not sure anyone that doesn't know it's Kitty Pryde in the original. It seems to me that discussions of the movie, at least, called out this change.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I remember the original story. In the Rachel thread, I mentioned her now absent Chronoskimming powers and everyone was against it. They seem to want her without them. Yet it was that power that enabled the story.

Not sure where they got the idea Kitty could do what Rachel did for the movie version. I mean it has nothing to do with Kitty's phasing power.

Also, showing Rachel with this other power will keep her from being a pale copy of her mother.

BANNED

Well I was disgusted at how every younger x Men comics fans all thought Kitty in the original story thought she had the time travel power like in the movie.

That's the internet for ya.

The truth is that Rachel is the one that has the time travel ability to send old Woman Kitty into the past into her younger body.

Well, I'm young, but I like to do my research.

And when I read the arc, the biggest difference I felt was not who went into the past or who had the time traveling power. It was that in the movie, Wolverine goes from present to the past, in the comic, Kitty comes from the future to the present.

Other is that the ending of the comic arc is ambiguous. Movie ending is absolute.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 04-12-2017 at 12:38 AM.

BANNED

Yes SpiderClops but Future Kitty/Kate went to the past due to Rachel. And I just read the darn comic yesterday. The last couple pages I could've sworn Future Kitty/Kate was awake in the future while at the last minute Destiny had her crossbow aimed at Senator Kelly.

I'll have to recheck the last couple of pages.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Yes SpiderClops but Future Kitty/Kate went to the past due to Rachel. And I just read the darn comic yesterday. The last couple pages I could've sworn Future Kitty/Kate was awake in the future while at the last minute Destiny had her crossbow aimed at Senator Kelly.

I'll have to recheck the last couple of pages.
    Either you or me is having the Mandela Effect. Because I can swear I didn't see Kitty waking up in the future. Prof. X even remarks that he's not sure if they changed the future or not.

Fantastic Member

I thought it would have been interesting to have Rachel appear out of the shadows and Logan thinking it was Jean for a few minutes. Then you see Rachel's hound marks or she gets introduced as Rachel.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    In the comic issues, Rachel is the one who uses time travel somehow to send Kitty back in time. That's how it was the whole time .
    It bothers me a lot too, to be honest. Still, I don't know what annoys me more: Rachel being erased from the story...or Logan being the protagonist one more time.

To be fair, movies tend to have less characters simply because of the practicalities of paying actor salaries.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Other is that the ending of the comic arc is ambiguous. Movie ending is absolute.
    spoilers:
    Until Logan.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    It bothers me a lot too, to be honest. Still, I don't know what annoys me more: Rachel being erased from the story...or Logan being the protagonist one more time.
    Xavier was the protagonist according to Singer, not Logan. Chuck even had more screentime than him.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Xavier was the protagonist according to Singer, not Logan. Chuck even had more screentime than him.
    OK.

[Erase Protagonist] --> Macho leading role.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    spoilers:
    Until Logan.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, I know. But that is still an absolute ending. Mutants were not eradicated by Sentinels, they were by some other means. There is no ambiguity.

Comic was ambiguous. Until god knows how many retcons.