Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man #16 Discussion

Well, the full Issue of ASM #16 is released and this one really gets the ball rolling over the (soon-to-be) opening chapter of the CLONE CONSPIRACY.

Oh and the "familiar, if unexpected face from Spidey's past" is really more of a surprise than one thinks, but only for those who's been following the AMAZING (& SUPERIOR) Series almost non-stop.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I wonder when Slott had
    spoilers:
    Marla killed during Big Time
    end of spoilers
    that he had some vague plans of bringing that character back which was realized, in a way, today.

Oh, and I love that letter from the Philippines!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Considering in the last arc we saw Peter bail out on meetings, it was annoying to see him bail out on it again in this issue.
    But Camuncoli's art is just incredible for some of the spreads.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Incredible Member

Does anyone know if Silk is going to be involved in this next Clone Saga? I ask because if so, I am still going out on a limb here and saying that this guy in red is no the Jackal. Jackal has always been a lackey of sorts and the way this guy is speaking makes me stand by my belief that this could be Ezekial and he is funding the jackal.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

When has jackal been a lackey? Sure osborn was retconed as behind the clone saga but jackal always did things on his own. Like cloning is infatuatuon gwen lol

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Does anyone know if Silk is going to be involved in this next Clone Saga? I ask because if so, I am still going out on a limb here and saying that this guy in red is no the Jackal. Jackal has always been a lackey of sorts and the way this guy is speaking makes me stand by my belief that this could be Ezekial and he is funding the jackal.
    Judging by the Silk cover with Mattie Franklin, I'm assuming she's going to have some kind of Clone Conspiracy tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Based on the cover for Silk in Marvel Now featured Mattie Frankin so people are speculating that she'll tie into it as well.

Considering we've been straight up told Silk is tying in, yes, Silk is tying in.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this issue. Cammo is doing great, with the exception of everyone's cheekbones. Script was solid. Peter wasn't as flippant as the last arc, which is a plus. All his dialogue felt good. Things are really coming to a head here. Can't wait to see where it all goes.

There were a lot of great aspects of this issue. Again, as someone who has been out of the Spider-Man loop for a while and has been slowly coming back into it, what I've come to like about Slott's writing is that I feel like I get my money's worth. There's always a good mix of action, soap opera, characterization, and story. While there are a lot of ingredients, I never feel overwhelmed. This issue was no different. Jay's illness, Spider-Man's rescue, Jackal's machinations and planning, Peter's responsibility, the surprise returns of clones, there were some great moments in these issue. I particularly liked the use of the Spider-Man motorcycle, which is just a great usage of Peter's new CEO status quo. On a side note, I really, REALLY like this new design for the Jackal. After 40 something years, Warren finally looks like a Jackal, and not some odd-looking green troll.

However, there were certain moments that did give me pause. Peter seemed a little too eager in using the new medical procedure. As Ana Maria said, he seemed kind of like a mad scientist. There wasn't enough buildup for this, and thus it felt a little out of the ordinary. My biggest issue was the usage of the clones. The Jackal bringing all of these individuals back to life brings with it a host of ethical and moral questions. While I'm very aware of the use of clones in the past (I'm actually reading the entire Clone Saga right now on Comixology), part of me feels like these heavy questions could be explored a bit more. Are these clones real in a way? Do they have souls? Only God can create life.....................right? Or maybe not? Of course, we're just beginning the storyline, so we'll see what all of these characters have to say when encountering these clones.

All in all, Slott's writing on these past couple of issues are satisfying. They remind me of a well-done Saturday morning or Toonami show which is a good thing. Slott's writing is still entertaining, clever, creative, and ultimately satisfying. But yes, part of me feels it could be more.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Based on the cover for Silk in Marvel Now featured Mattie Frankin so people are speculating that she'll tie into it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Judging by the Silk cover with Mattie Franklin, I'm assuming she's going to have some kind of Clone Conspiracy tie-in.
    So much for the impossibility of not having a Loners Reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Considering we've been straight up told Silk is tying in, yes, Silk is tying in.
    Definitely will be interesting.......

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    However, there were certain moments that did give me pause. Peter seemed a little too eager in using the new medical procedure. As Ana Maria said, he seemed kind of like a mad scientist. There wasn't enough buildup for this, and thus it felt a little out of the ordinary. My biggest issue was the usage of the clones. The Jackal bringing all of these individuals back to life brings with it a host of ethical and moral questions. While I'm very aware of the use of clones in the past (I'm actually reading the entire Clone Saga right now on Comixology), part of me feels like these heavy questions could be explored a bit more. Are these clones real in a way? Do they have souls? Only God can create life.....................right? Or maybe not? Of course, we're just beginning the storyline, so we'll see what all of these characters have to say when encountering these clones.
    Previously, Warren's clones (at least the "complete" ones, as opposed to the literally half-baked ones he was deploying during Maximum Clonage) have been treated as real people - but distinct individuals from the people they were cloned from. But the Jackal seems to be dabbling in something deeper here - could that really be Marla Jameson, returned from the dead?

Astonishing Member

Guys, I'm quite worried about Peter in this issue. The way it started to talk when he checked the information of "New U" really worried me. I understand Peter's point of not allowing people dying at his presence, but here it sounded like a sick obsession; just like Anna Maria said, the kind of obsession typical of mad scientists. I'm really worried about Peter. I know he wants to save people, but he can't make people stop dying.

By the way, I just realized something, this "New U Technologies" is actually one of the spoilers that Scorpio saw back in "Amazing Spider-Man #11". Check them out:
    + Regent = "Power Play", check.
    + Heroes at each other's throats = "Civil War II", obviously.
    + New U = Now we know it. It's this new company founded by the Jackal.
    + Norman Osborn = Clearly comming, although I don't know how yet.
    + Skyspears = Clearly, something related to the Inhumans.
    + Otto Octavius = Quite obvious. "That makes sense". I expect the world will discover it was Octavius who caused the whole "Superior Spider-Junk" instead of the real Spidey.
    + Monsters on the Rise = This is the only one that remains a completely mystery; but there's a high probability this will involve "Dead No More" or the whole "Clone Conspiracy".

Anyone else checked the Batman's references here? I mean, the motorcycle used by Spider-Man here was clearly half of his current Spider-Mobile; just like Batman used half of his destroyed Bat-Mobile as a Bat-Cycle in "The Dark Knight".

All-New Member

i'm just wondering if we are for sure that this new Jackal is Miles Warren....maaaaaybe i'm reading too much into it, but the new jackal and peter both have greenish eyes? both look similar when the beard scruff is on....plus Jackal saying they weren't the bad guys here?? something tells me its NOT miles, but maybe norman with plastic surgery to look like peter, OR BEN REILLY!!!!!

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asidx View Post
    i'm just wondering if we are for sure that this new Jackal is Miles Warren....maaaaaybe i'm reading too much into it, but the new jackal and peter both have greenish eyes? both look similar when the beard scruff is on....plus Jackal saying they weren't the bad guys here?? something tells me its NOT miles, but maybe norman with plastic surgery to look like peter, OR BEN REILLY!!!!!
    Peter's eye color has always been inconsistent throughout the years due to colorist and/or printing error. I mean his nickname (given by MJ) in the 70s was "brown-eyed hunk" and for a long time his Marvel profile used to list brown for his eye color attributes. But in recent years they edited his eye profile to "hazel."

I'm sure the next time we see Petey, his eyes will be hot pink or something lol.

-- Wolfie
    Visual Development and Storyboard Portfolio
    http://www.imxprs.com/free/wolfie74/mj

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

I still think the Jackal is actually Kaine.

I mean, he IS the one clone who has actually been resurrected...

multiple times....

Plus, the Jackal's new color scheme kinda matches Kaine's Scarlet costume.

-Pav, who wonders what his endgame is...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details