Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Star Trek Discovery" Set 10 Years Before "The Original Series"

Showrunner Bryan Fuller confirmed today that the new series "Star Trek Discovery" will be set between "Enterprise" and "The Original Series."

Full article here.

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

Everything about this series is working for me right now.

I like the title of the show.

I like the ship... a lot.

I like that there's going to be a female captain (and hopefully a black one).

And I like that it's taking place before "The Original Series." "The Cage" is my favorite Star Trek episode, so this is right up my alley.

aaaaaaaaaand i dont care.

They already messed up pre-TOS history with ENT and now they are digging into the same hole.

BANNED

If they were so hell bent in doing another prequel (as if we didn't had enough of those), was it THAT HARD to place it before TNG like it was hyped originally?
    I really hope that the show will be placed into different time periods echoeing American Horror Story's format and we do see a prequel to TNG or something placed after Voyager and Nemesis.

Spectacular Member

Will watch this but frankly i am so tired of prequels.
    Why can't they simply go beyond Nemesis.

BANNED

Bored already.

Quote Originally Posted by 100010959493281 View Post
    Everything about this series is working for me right now.

I like the title of the show.

I like the ship... a lot.

I like that there's going to be a female captain (and hopefully a black one).

And I like that it's taking place before "The Original Series." "The Cage" is my favorite Star Trek episode, so this is right up my alley.
    We don't know yet if the captain will be female. The main female lead will be a Lt. Commander on the bridge, and she'll be the show's focus character. I guess it'll be like, what if any of the older shows always started with a 'Lt. Commander Data's log, stardate etc.', 'Major Kira Nerys' log, stardate etc'.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Couldn't care less if the lead character is male or female... white, black or Asian... Straight, gay, trans or whatever... It's the quality of the program that counts.
    However.... When they make a point of announcing that the lead is female and non white just to be diverse, then you just know that this is going to be PC crap

Spectacular Member The Lonely Man's Avatar

Little disappointed this is going down the prequel route. Beginning to doubt that we'll ever see post Voyager Trek on tv.
    Mtgglf

BANNED

I have two concerns. Enterprise was terrible, it even beat Voyager for lack of interesting story and characters and stunningly for bad acting (Trip)

I have no problem with a female Captain as long as she's a good character, I found Janeway to be fairly unlikable (along with about 70% of the rest of the Voyager crew). sisko was wooden. If casting Patrick Stewart has proven anything it's that a quality lead gives a better overall show.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Diversity isn't political correctness. It's moral correctness.

I suspect there will be a heavy espionage/intrigue angle to this series. The ship's serial number suggests Section 31, the black ops/intelligence division of Starfleet. And Fuller said the commander will "have many ranks," which seems to indicate she'll be using undercover identities a lot.

I like that the series will be set close to the time of TOS, although I'm afraid the visuals will be so different that it will be jarring to see the two shows side-by-side. Kind of like the remastered TOS episodes where we get a spectacular state-of-the-art CGI matte shot... followed by a scene of Kirk fighting a guy in a rubber suit amid styrofoam boulders. I'm sure I'll be watching this show and thinking, "wow, technology is really going to take a turn for the worse over the next ten years."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm sure I'll be watching this show and thinking, "wow, technology is really going to take a turn for the worse over the next ten years."
    This. Thats why prequels never make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Couldn't care less if the lead character is male or female... white, black or Asian... Straight, gay, trans or whatever... It's the quality of the program that counts.
    However.... When they make a point of announcing that the lead is female and non white just to be diverse, then you just know that this is going to be PC crap
    On the contrary, it very much affects the program if the lead is non-white, non-male, especially in this day and age when we like to think we're above such things but the vast majority of American TV shows still center around a white male perspective.

Consider that DS9 had Sisko tying in 20th century anti-black racism with the plight of the Bajorans trying to recover after Cardassian occupation, and it set the tone for the rest of the series about politics, religion, and being an outsider, up to and including the finale. Voyager was more covert than DS9 in how it handled Janeway, but that it showed a female captain overcoming the same obstacles that Kirk and Picard faced made her an icon of 90s pop culture feminism, up there with Buffy and Xena. (there's a very good reason why Kate Mulgrew was cast in Orange is the New Black -- for the commanding, maternal, and sometimes intimidating but definitely feminine presence that was felt throughout Voyager).

In both cases, diversity helped the quality of the show, especially with DS9, the most critically lauded of the spinoffs, by opening up stories and scenarios that could be opened up by their unique perspectives. Even when Sisko and Janeway took a backseat to their crew, their influence was still evident, because they're the captains.

It's nice that you couldn't care less (it really is), but other people don't have that luxury, because they don't have that representation or writing on screen as common as others. They can't afford to take this type of exposure for granted.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-11-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    On the contrary, it very much affects the program if the lead is non-white, non-male, especially in this day and age when we like to think we're above such things but the vast majority of American TV shows still center around a white male perspective.

Consider that DS9 had Sisko tying in 20th century anti-black racism with the plight of the Bajorans trying to recover after Cardassian occupation, and it set the tone for the rest of the series about politics, religion, and being an outsider, up to and including the finale. Voyager was more covert than DS9 in how it handled Janeway, but that it showed a female captain overcoming the same obstacles that Kirk and Picard faced made her an icon of 90s pop culture feminism, up there with Buffy and Xena. (there's a very good reason why Kate Mulgrew was cast in Orange is the New Black -- for the commanding, maternal, and sometimes intimidating but definitely feminine presence that was felt throughout Voyager).

In both cases, diversity helped the quality of the show, especially with DS9, the most critically lauded of the spinoffs, by opening up stories and scenarios that could be opened up by their unique perspectives. Even when Sisko and Janeway took a backseat to their crew, their influence was still evident, because they're the captains.

It's nice that you couldn't care less (it really is), but other people don't have that luxury, because they don't have that representation or writing on screen as common as others. They can't afford to take this type of exposure for granted.
    I totally understand what you say and I agree with you... However you are missing my point.
    I disagree with a program being made and the people making it saying they're going to be diverse... Just cast who you want and film the effing thing... By telling people that the lead is going to be female and non white just to be diverse, its political correctness.

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    We don't know yet if the captain will be female. The main female lead will be a Lt. Commander on the bridge, and she'll be the show's focus character. I guess it'll be like, what if any of the older shows always started with a 'Lt. Commander Data's log, stardate etc.', 'Major Kira Nerys' log, stardate etc'.
    Yeah, you're right. CBR kind of had it wrong.

Bryan Fuller, per startrek.com, said...
    The main character will be a woman, but not a captain. "We've seen six characters from the captain's point of view," Fuller said. “In order to understand something that is so completely alien from her, she must first understand herself. That's part of our journey on this planet, to get along, and that's part of our journey in this first season.”
    So most likely a white male captain, as usual...

So for those screaming "PC crap" and whatever can relax and unclench.

It's all good, though. The "point of view" thing is what's important to me, whether it's the captain or not is irrelevant.